Calculating the statistical properties of the given PDF

In summary, the characteristic function, mean, and variance of a PDF can be calculated using standard formulas.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
For instance if we are given only a PDF in the form of ##p(x)##, how can one calculate the characteristic function, the mean, and the variance of these PDF's ?

Any site or explanation will be enough for me

Physics news on Phys.org
There are standard formulas given pdf ##f(x)##. Char. fcn. ##\phi(t)=\int_R e^{itx}f(x)dx##, moments ##m_k=\int_R x^kf(x)dx##, variance ##=m_2-m_1^2##.

Likes Arman777
Arman777 said:
Any site or explanation
A textbook on statistics ?

Likes Arman777
Okay I understand it. Thanks for the help

Likes BvU
Okay It seems that I did not or at least I thought I was. Let me take a uniform distribution in the form of ##p(x) = 1/2b##. The characteristic function is given by

$$p(k) = \frac{ie^{-ikx}}{2ak}$$

From here I want to calculate the mean and the variance as I have said before. I want to use this equation

1618137328629.png

so I get

$$ln(\frac{ie^{-ikx}}{2ak}) = ik<x>_c - \frac{k<x^2>_c}{2}$$

$$ln(\frac{i}{2ak})-ikx = ik<x>_c - \frac{k<x^2>_c}{2}$$

but from here I don't know what to do..

Arman777 said:
Okay It seems that I did not or at least I thought I was.
as I have said before.
Sorry I missed that :wink: -- can't make much sense of the first one and don't believe the second

Interesting thing, this FT aspect of a pdf. Not much in ordinary textbooks, I grant you.I will switch to 'shut up and learn mode' after these comments:
Arman777 said:
The characteristic function is given by
$$p(k) = \frac{ie^{-ikx}}{2ak}$$
This can't be right:
##p(x) = 1/2b## suggests a uniform distribution from ##-b## to ##+b##
So I would expect (using ##\phi(t)##, not ##p(k)## which is confusing)
mathman said:
$$\phi(t)=\int_R e^{itx}f(x)dx$$
something that depends on ##k## and ##b##, but not on ##x## ! (Lazy me: ##\displaystyle{\sin bt\over bt} ##, which I now 'all of a sudden' recognize and remember :cool: -- from the FT world)

By the same token the ##\int x^n p(x)## goodies you want to derive from ##\ \phi(k)\ ## should be convolutions in the ##t## domain (right ?)

##\ ##

BvU said:
Not much in ordinary textbooks, I grant you.
Our textbook is really hard to understand since its not for starters..
BvU said:
p(x)=1/2b suggests a uniform distribution from −b to
Yes my mistake, sorry about that. But in our book the notation is p(k) so I cannot use ##\phi(t)##

BvU said:
By the same token the ∫xnp(x) goodies you want to derive from ϕ(k) should be convolutions in the t domain (right ?)
I don't know what this means

A property of Fourier transforms is that the transform of a product is a convolution vice versa.

##\ ##

Likes Arman777
Okay, this time I really solved the problem. Thanks for the help.

Likes BvU

1. How do you calculate the mean from a given PDF?

To calculate the mean from a given PDF, you need to multiply each value in the PDF by its corresponding probability and then sum all of these products together. This will give you the average or mean value of the distribution.

2. What is the significance of calculating the standard deviation of a PDF?

The standard deviation of a PDF is a measure of how spread out the data is from the mean. It tells us how much the values in the distribution vary from the average. A higher standard deviation indicates a wider spread of data, while a lower standard deviation indicates a more concentrated distribution.

3. How do you determine the skewness of a PDF?

The skewness of a PDF measures the symmetry of the distribution. To determine the skewness, you can use the formula (mean - mode) / standard deviation. A positive skewness value indicates a longer tail to the right, while a negative skewness value indicates a longer tail to the left.

4. Can you calculate the kurtosis of a PDF?

Yes, the kurtosis of a PDF measures the peakedness or flatness of the distribution. It can be calculated using the formula (mean - mode)^4 / standard deviation^4. A higher kurtosis value indicates a sharper peak, while a lower kurtosis value indicates a flatter distribution.

5. How do you use the PDF to calculate the probability of a specific outcome?

To calculate the probability of a specific outcome from a given PDF, you can use the cumulative distribution function (CDF). This function gives you the probability that a random variable will be less than or equal to a given value. You can then subtract the CDF value at the lower bound from the CDF value at the upper bound to find the probability of the specific outcome falling within that range.