Calculating the time derivative of <p>

In summary: That was my mistake. In summary, the equation for the integrand is $$\frac{\partial }{\partial t} \left(\Psi^\ast \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial x} \right )=\frac{i \hbar}{2m}\left[\Psi^\ast \frac{\partial^3 \Psi}{\partial x^3} -\frac{\partial^2 \Psi^\ast }{\partial x^2}\frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial x}\right ]-\frac{i}{\hbar}\left |\Psi \right |^2 \frac{\partial V}{\partial x}$$
SplinterCell

Homework Statement

Problem 1.7 in Griffiths "Quantum Mechanics" asks to prove
$$\frac{d\left \langle p \right \rangle}{dt}=\left \langle -\frac{\partial V}{\partial x} \right \rangle$$

Homework Equations

Schrödinger equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to arrive at the correct expression for the integrand:
$$\frac{\partial }{\partial t} \left(\Psi^\ast \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial x} \right )=\frac{i \hbar}{2m}\left[\Psi^\ast \frac{\partial^3 \Psi}{\partial x^3} -\frac{\partial^2 \Psi^\ast }{\partial x^2}\frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial x}\right ]-\frac{i}{\hbar}\left |\Psi \right |^2 \frac{\partial V}{\partial x}$$
The only thing left here is to prove that the first term integrates to zero. The solution manual suggests integrating by parts twice. However I fail to get zero. Here's what I tried:
$$\int \left(\Psi^\ast \frac{\partial^3 \Psi}{\partial x^3} -\frac{\partial^2 \Psi^\ast }{\partial x^2}\frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial x} \right ) dx = \Psi^\ast \frac{\partial^2 \Psi}{\partial x^2} - \int \left (\frac{\partial \Psi^\ast}{\partial x} \frac{\partial^2 \Psi}{\partial x^2}\right ) dx - \int \left (\frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial x} \frac{\partial^2 \Psi^\ast}{\partial x^2}\right ) dx =\\= \Psi^\ast \frac{\partial^2 \Psi }{\partial x^2} - \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial x}\frac{\partial \Psi^\ast}{\partial x}$$
Which isn't necessarily equal to zero. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your boundary terms should be zero. You are just taking the primitive function, not actually integrating.

Likes SplinterCell
SplinterCell said:
$$ \Psi^\ast \frac{\partial^2 \Psi }{\partial x^2} - \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial x}\frac{\partial \Psi^\ast}{\partial x}$$
Which isn't necessarily equal to zero. Any suggestions?

It's not sufficient for ##\Psi## to be square integrable, but if it's well enough behaved then those boundary terms will be zero. In other words, assume that ##\Psi## and all its derivatives tend to zero at ##\pm \infty##.

Likes SplinterCell
PeroK said:
It's not sufficient for ##\Psi## to be square integrable, but if it's well enough behaved then those boundary terms will be zero. In other words, assume that ##\Psi## and all its derivatives tend to zero at ##\pm \infty##.
Orodruin said:
Your boundary terms should be zero. You are just taking the primitive function, not actually integrating.
Thank you both. I forgot that the expectation value is actually an integral from -infinity to +infinity and not some indefinite integral.

What is a time derivative?

A time derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a quantity with respect to time. It is denoted by the symbol d

/dt and is used to calculate how much a variable is changing at a specific moment in time.

Why is it important to calculate the time derivative of a quantity?

Calculating the time derivative allows us to understand how a quantity is changing over time and can help us make predictions about its future behavior. It is also a crucial tool in many fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.

How do you calculate the time derivative of a quantity?

The time derivative of a quantity can be calculated using a mathematical formula, depending on the function or equation that represents the quantity. In general, it involves taking the derivative of the function with respect to time, using the rules of calculus.

What are some real-life applications of calculating the time derivative?

Calculating the time derivative has many practical applications, such as determining the speed and acceleration of a moving object, predicting the growth rate of a population, and analyzing changes in temperature or pressure over time. It is also essential in fields like economics, where it can help predict stock market trends.

Are there any limitations to calculating the time derivative?

Yes, there are limitations to calculating the time derivative. It assumes that the quantity being analyzed is continuous and differentiable, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. Additionally, it may not account for sudden changes or fluctuations in the quantity, which can affect the accuracy of predictions.