Calculating the time taken for an asteroid mission using MATLAB

In summary, the conversation discusses using MATLAB to calculate the time and fuel required for a spacecraft to travel from Earth to a near Earth asteroid and back, as well as the use of Hohmann transfer and different integration algorithms. However, it is suggested that an additional software package, such as STK, is needed for accurate simulations. Both ode23 and ode45 are suitable integration algorithms, with ode45 being more accurate but slower than ode23.
SpaceGuy17
TL;DR Summary
Using MATLAB, I am trying to calculate the time taken for a spacecraft to travel from Earth to a near earth asteroid and then returning back to Earth but so far I have had no luck. Furthermore, I want to plot a Hohmann transfer and calculate the mass of fuel required for this mission. If possible, I would really appreciate some pointers (initial conditions, similar problems etc.)! P.S. For this problem would it be better to use ode23 or ode45?
Using MATLAB, I am trying to calculate the time taken for a spacecraft to travel from Earth to a near Earth asteroid and then returning back to Earth but so far I have had no luck. Furthermore, I want to plot a Hohmann transfer and calculate the mass of fuel required for this mission. If possible, I would really appreciate some pointers (initial conditions, similar problems etc.)! P.S. For this problem would it be better to use ode23 or ode45?

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, MATLAB alone is not sufficient to solve this problem. You will need to use an additional software package such as STK (Systems Tool Kit), which is a simulation software suite developed by Analytical Graphics Inc that is used to model space missions. STK can be used to calculate the time taken for a spacecraft to travel from Earth to a near Earth asteroid and then returning back to Earth as well as plot a Hohmann transfer and calculate the mass of fuel required for this mission. To get started, you can find tutorials and resources on the Analytical Graphics Inc website. Regarding the integration algorithms, both ode23 and ode45 are suitable for solving the equations of motion for this problem. It really depends on the accuracy and speed that you are looking for. Generally speaking, ode45 is more accurate but slower than ode23. If you want to go even further, you can also look into higher order solvers such as ode78 and ode113.

1. How does MATLAB calculate the time taken for an asteroid mission?

MATLAB uses a combination of mathematical equations and variables to calculate the time taken for an asteroid mission. This includes the distance between the asteroid and Earth, the speed of the spacecraft, and the gravitational pull of the asteroid and other celestial bodies.

2. Can MATLAB accurately predict the time taken for an asteroid mission?

Yes, MATLAB is a powerful tool for mathematical calculations and can accurately predict the time taken for an asteroid mission. However, it is important to note that there may be unforeseen factors or variables that can affect the accuracy of the prediction.

3. How do I input the necessary data for MATLAB to calculate the time taken for an asteroid mission?

You will need to input the relevant data such as the distance between the asteroid and Earth, the speed of the spacecraft, and the gravitational pull of the asteroid and other celestial bodies into MATLAB. This can be done through variables or by entering the data manually into the code.

4. Can I use MATLAB to compare the time taken for different asteroid missions?

Yes, MATLAB can be used to compare the time taken for different asteroid missions. You can input the data for each mission and run the calculations to compare the results. This can help in making informed decisions for future missions.

5. Are there any limitations to using MATLAB for calculating the time taken for an asteroid mission?

While MATLAB is a powerful tool for calculations, it is important to note that its accuracy may be affected by external factors or variables that are not accounted for in the code. It is also important to regularly update and validate the data used in the calculations to ensure accuracy.