Calculating the upward force

• Thread starter BrodieEX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation is discussing a physics problem where a calculator is thrown into the air and bounces off the floor. The question is to calculate the upward force exerted on the calculator by the floor. Relevant equations are discussed, including Fg = mg and Fnet = ma. The conversation ends with a suggestion to calculate the velocity before and after the calculator hits the floor to find the force exerted by the floor.
BrodieEX

Homework Statement

[/B]
Gr.11 Physics, about 2 months in so I don't know much.

Bob pitches his calculator into the air and watches it rise to a height of 5 meters above the floor, and rebound to a height of 4 meters. The calculator was in contact with the floor for ten milliseconds, and it has a mass of 500 grams. Calculate the upward force exerted on the calculator by the floor.

Homework Equations

Here's all the equations I think would be relevant?:

Fn = Fg
Fg = mg
Ff = uFn
Fnet = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not entirely sure where to start with such little info. I tried to get the Force of Gravity (Fg) like this:

Fg = mg
= (0.5kg)(9.8)
= 4.9N

But I feel like the fact that it was accelerating towards the ground would increase that?

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
BrodieEX said:
Here's all the equations I think would be relevant
No, none of those are interesting here.
Does SUVAT mean anything to you?
What about a relationship between force and momentum?

haruspex said:
No, none of those are interesting here.
Does SUVAT mean anything to you?
What about a relationship between force and momentum?

No, and no :/ My teacher has a habit of giving us questions for things he hasn't taught us yet. Could you explain?

Ah I found a video on exactly what I was looking for. I got it now :)

Try to calculate the velocity right before and after the calculator hits the floor and see if you can use this to figure out the force

1. What is the formula for calculating upward force?

The formula for calculating upward force is F = m * g, where F is the upward force, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How do you calculate the upward force on an object?

To calculate the upward force on an object, you need to know its mass and the acceleration due to gravity. Then, you can use the formula F = m * g to determine the upward force.

3. What is the difference between weight and upward force?

Weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object, while upward force is the force acting in the opposite direction to gravity. Weight is a downward force, while upward force is an upward force.

4. How does the mass of an object affect the upward force?

The greater the mass of an object, the greater the upward force needed to lift it against the force of gravity. This is because the formula for upward force, F = m * g, includes mass as a factor.

5. Can upward force be greater than weight?

Yes, upward force can be greater than weight. This occurs when an object is accelerating upwards, such as when a rocket is launching into space. In this case, the upward force from the rocket's engines is greater than the weight of the rocket, allowing it to overcome the force of gravity and lift off.