Calculating the waste heat of Carnot engine

In summary: It's not really a problem because you can solve for either one of the two unknowns and then use the other to solve for the other.
JoeyBob
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
e=1-(Tc/Th)

e=W/Qin

e=(Qin-Qout)/Qout
The answer is 6470 J.

So since I have the two temperatures I could calculate the efficiency. First I convert to kelvin then get an efficiency of 0.35481. Now I can use e=W/Qin to get Qin. I get a value of 10033.54J.

Now I can use e=(Qin-Qout)/Qout to get Qout, the waste heat. I get 7405.9 J.

Overview of calculations:

e=1-(295.66/458.25)=0.35481

Qin=W/e=3560/0.35481=10033.54 J

Qout=Qin/(e+1) = 10033.54/(1.35481) = 7405.9 J but answer is 6470 J.

Attachments

• question.PNG
    question.PNG
    9.8 KB · Views: 93
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you messed up the algebra. I agree with your number for the efficiency but not with one of your expressions for it. For best results, try solving this without numbers, a recommendation that was made to you before.
You have ##e=1-\dfrac{Q_{out}}{Q_{in}}## and ##e=\dfrac{W}{Q_{in}}##. Can you eliminate ##Q_{in}## and get an expression relating ##Q_{out}## to ##e## and ##W?##

Likes JoeyBob
kuruman said:
It looks like you messed up the algebra. I agree with your number for the efficiency. Try solving this without numbers, a recommendation that you have so far ignored.
You have ##e=1-\dfrac{Q_{out}}{Q_{in}}## and ##e=\dfrac{W}{Q_{in}}##. Can you eliminate ##Q_{in}## get an expression relating ##Q_{out}## to ##e## and ##W?##

Qin=W/e so

e=1-Qout/(W/e)

e=1-eQout/W

1-e=eQout/W

(1-e)W/e = Qout

(1-0.35481)*3560/0.35481

Youre right, must have messed up my algebra somewhere because this gives the right answer.

Thanks.

JoeyBob said:
Youre right, must have messed up my algebra somewhere because this gives the right answer.
It's not the algebra, it's this: e=(Qin-Qout)/Qout.

When Qout = 0 you should expect efficiency of 1. Your expresion does not predict that. That is why I prefer to write it as ##e=1-\dfrac{Q_{out}}{Q_{in}}.## It reduces to 1 when no heat is wasted. I am mentioning this so that you will write the correct expression next time.

Likes JoeyBob
I would never go to the efficiency to solve this. I would write $$Q_{in}-Q_{out}=W$$ and $$\frac{Q_{in}}{T_{hot}}-\frac{Q_{out}}{T_{cold}}=0$$This is two linear algebraic equations in two unknowns.

What is a Carnot engine?

A Carnot engine is a theoretical heat engine that operates on the Carnot cycle. It consists of two isothermal (constant temperature) and two adiabatic (no heat transfer) processes. It is considered the most efficient heat engine possible, as it operates between two temperature reservoirs and produces the maximum possible work output.

How is the waste heat of a Carnot engine calculated?

The waste heat of a Carnot engine is calculated using the formula Qout = Tout(S2-S1), where Qout is the waste heat, Tout is the temperature of the colder reservoir, and S2 and S1 are the entropy values at the end and beginning of the isothermal process.

What factors affect the waste heat of a Carnot engine?

The waste heat of a Carnot engine is affected by the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs, as well as the efficiency of the engine. The higher the temperature difference and the lower the efficiency, the greater the waste heat produced.

Can the waste heat of a Carnot engine be reduced?

The waste heat of a Carnot engine cannot be reduced, as it is a fundamental consequence of the second law of thermodynamics. However, it can be minimized by increasing the efficiency of the engine and reducing the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs.

How is the efficiency of a Carnot engine related to its waste heat?

The efficiency of a Carnot engine is closely related to its waste heat, as the efficiency is defined as the ratio of the work output to the heat input. The higher the waste heat, the lower the efficiency, and vice versa. This is due to the fact that the waste heat is a loss of energy that cannot be converted into work.