Calculating the Weight of Gold in a Crown: A Density Problem

In summary: Your approach looks fine now. I'm a bit concerned with the final value though, it's in the right ballpark but seems a tad high to me. Could it be rounding or truncation error creeping in from intermediate values? Did you keep sufficient extra digits of precision in your intermediate calculations?I did not encounter any rounding or truncation errors during my calculations. I believe I have accounted for all rounding errors. How do you think my final value might be a bit high?I think the final value might be a bit high because the amount of gold in the crown is quite high.
techgeek17

Homework Statement

A jeweler has made a crown of an alloy of gold and copper. The crown weighs 0.358 N when measured in air and 0.338 N when submerged completely in water. The density of water is 1.00x10^3 kg/m^3, the density of copper is 8.92X10^3 kg/m^3, and the density of gold is 1.93x10^4 kg/m^3. Calculate the weight of the gold in the crown.

Homework Equations

Unknown. None are given and can't find any in my textbook.

The Attempt at a Solution

None.

I can't seem to find any information about how exactly to do this problem in my textbook or online. Help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
techgeek17 said:

Homework Statement

A jeweler has made a crown of an alloy of gold and copper. The crown weighs 0.358 N when measured in air and 0.338 N when submerged completely in water. The density of water is 1.00x10^3 kg/m^3, the density of copper is 8.92X10^3 kg/m^3, and the density of gold is 1.93x10^4 kg/m^3. Calculate the weight of the gold in the crown.

Homework Equations

Unknown. None are given and can't find any in my textbook.

The Attempt at a Solution

None.

I can't seem to find any information about how exactly to do this problem in my textbook or online. Help please?

If you can't find a specific example or a recipe for how to do the problem, you may have to resort to devising your own method :smile:

Why not start by determining the volume of the crown and its density?

OK, I attempted to find the volume and density. I got:
mass(in air) as 36.5g
appearant mass(in water) as 34.5g
volume = 2.1x10^6 L(?)
density = 1.83 x 10^4 kg/l

I am assuming now that I need to find a percentage or something of the sort for the gold in the crown.

techgeek17 said:
OK, I attempted to find the volume and density. I got:
mass(in air) as 36.5g
appearant mass(in water) as 34.5g
volume = 2.1x10^6 L(?)
density = 1.83 x 10^4 kg/l

I am assuming now that I need to find a percentage or something of the sort for the gold in the crown.

Your mass looks fine, although "apparent mass in water" doesn't make physical sense; stick with the apparent weight.

Your volume looks a bit odd; that's a LOT of liters! How did you arrive at it? Can you demonstrate your calculation?

Whoops! I didn't catch that before I posted. The volume I calculated is supposed to be 2.0x10^-6 m^3 (got confused with the unit), not 10^6. and I wrote the apparent mass title based off the equation I used:

m(in air) - m(apparent/in water) = d(water)*v , solving for v

also density unit should be kg/m^3

Last edited:
Okay. That clears up a few things :smile:

To how many significant figures should your results be reported?

I believe I need to use 2 significant digits. So that would make my density 1.8x10^4, right?

Also, I did some calculations and managed to get what looks like a possibly correct answer. Here's what I did:

Formula: D(copper)*(c-1)+D(gold)*c=D(crown), where c is the ratio of gold to crown
Solved for c - c=[D(crown)+D(copper)]/[D(copper)+D(gold)]
Substituted values - c=[1.8*10^4+8.92*10^3]/[8.92*10^3+1.93*10^4]
And solved - c=.965

then i took weight of crown times c and got 3.52*10^-2 kg or .345 N

I am unsure is this is right or not though, since the amount of gold is so high, but it is my best bet at the moment.

techgeek17 said:
I believe I need to use 2 significant digits. So that would make my density 1.8x10^4, right?

How many significant figures are in the numbers that are given in the problem statement?
Also, I did some calculations and managed to get what looks like a possibly correct answer. Here's what I did:

Formula: D(copper)*(c-1)+D(gold)*c=D(crown), where c is the ratio of gold to crown
Good idea, and almost correct :smile:

The fractions of the whole should sum to the whole, so your terms c and c-1 should add up to 1. That is, they should be c and 1-c.

gneill said:
How many significant figures are in the numbers that are given in the problem statement?

Good idea, and almost correct :smile:

The fractions of the whole should sum to the whole, so your terms c and c-1 should add up to 1. That is, they should be c and 1-c.

Significant Digits = 3

And the formula should be D(copper)*(1-c)+D(gold)*c=D(crown), right?

If so, I got 3.52*10^-2 kg or .345 N

How am I doing?

techgeek17 said:
Significant Digits = 3

And the formula should be D(copper)*(1-c)+D(gold)*c=D(crown), right?

If so, I got 3.52*10^-2 kg or .345 N

How am I doing?

Your approach looks fine now. I'm a bit concerned with the final value though, it's in the right ballpark but seems a tad high to me. Could it be rounding or truncation error creeping in from intermediate values? Did you keep sufficient extra digits of precision in your intermediate steps?

1. How much does the weight of gold in a crown typically weigh?

The weight of gold in a crown can vary greatly depending on the size and design of the crown. However, on average, the weight of gold in a crown can range from 100 grams to 500 grams.

2. How is the weight of gold in a crown measured?

The weight of gold in a crown is usually measured in troy ounces. One troy ounce is equivalent to 31.1 grams. Some jewelers may also use the metric system and measure the weight in grams.

3. Can the weight of gold in a crown affect its value?

Yes, the weight of gold in a crown can greatly impact its value. The more gold a crown contains, the higher its value will be. However, other factors such as the design and craftsmanship of the crown can also influence its value.

4. How does the weight of gold in a crown compare to other materials?

Gold is a relatively heavy metal, so the weight of gold in a crown will be significantly more than other materials such as silver or copper. For example, a gold crown may weigh around 300 grams, while a silver crown may only weigh around 50 grams.

5. Does the weight of gold in a crown affect its durability?

Yes, the weight of gold in a crown can affect its durability. A heavier crown may be more prone to damage or bending, especially if it is worn frequently. However, the type of gold used and the craftsmanship of the crown can also play a role in its durability.