Calculating the work done moving a charge in a magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnetic field at points C and D due to two infinitely long wires carrying a current of 1 Amp. The magnetic field at point D is found to be 6.6*10^-8 T and at point C it is 2*10^-7 T. The second part of the conversation involves calculating the work required to move a point charge of +1x10^-6 C from point C to point D along the shortest path. The formula W = qvBd is used, but there is no given value for velocity v, making it difficult to find the work done. It is determined that the magnetic field at point C is actually zero, and the charge is moving
Okarin

Homework Statement

There are two infinitely long wires A and B, each carries a current of 1 Amp in the same direction. The two wires are 4m apart.
a) Calculate the magnetic field created by the currents in the two wires at points C and D. Point D is 1m away from wire A and point C is 2m away from A.

b) Calculate the work required to move a point charge of +1x10-6 C from point C to point D along the shortest path.

Homework Equations

B = µ0I / 2πr
F = qvB
W = qEd
E = F/q

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to work out part a) no problem and found the magnetic field at point D is 6.6*10^-8 T and at point C its 2*10^-7 T. My problem is wit part b) :/ How do I find the work done moving a charge from one magnetic field to another? I played around with the formulas a bit and got W = qvBd, but my problem is what do I use for B? Would I be correct in saying that B is the sum of the two magnetic fields? I'm also not given a value for the velocity v so am I going about this the wrong way?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
B wouldn't be the sum of the two fields. Think about this problem from the perspective of the charge.

I checked over my figures again and found that there is no magnetic field at point C. The charge is moving 1m towards wire A, from C to D so I know what the magnetic field is. But no matter how many times I go through it I just can't find a value for the work done without a value for the velocity :/

Related to Calculating the work done moving a charge in a magnetic field

What is the formula for calculating the work done moving a charge in a magnetic field?

The formula for calculating the work done (W) moving a charge (q) in a magnetic field (B) is W = qBd, where d is the distance the charge moves in the magnetic field.

How do you determine the direction of the work done on a charge moving in a magnetic field?

The direction of the work done on a charge moving in a magnetic field is determined by the right-hand rule. If the charge is moving in the same direction as the magnetic field, the work done is positive. If the charge is moving in the opposite direction, the work done is negative.

What is the unit of measurement for work done on a charge in a magnetic field?

The unit of measurement for work done on a charge in a magnetic field is joules (J). This is the same unit used for measuring work in other contexts.

Can the work done on a charge in a magnetic field ever be zero?

Yes, the work done on a charge in a magnetic field can be zero if the charge is not moving or if it is moving parallel to the magnetic field. In these cases, there is no force acting on the charge, so no work is done.

How does the speed of a charge affect the work done on it in a magnetic field?

The speed of a charge does not affect the work done on it in a magnetic field. The work done is solely determined by the charge, the strength of the magnetic field, and the distance traveled.