Calculating the work done using a line integral

In summary, the external work required to bring a point charge + q from infinity to the point r2= aŷ is sqrt(2)*a.
Burhan Uddin

Homework Statement

1. a) A point charge + q is placed at the origin. By explicitly calculating the relevant line integral, determine how much external work must be done to bring another point charge + q from infinity to the point r2= aŷ ? Consider the difference between external work and work done by the force. {2}
  2. b) Both of these charges are held fixed and a third charge + q is now brought from infinity to position r= ax̂ + ay.̂ Repeat the same type of calculation as in a). What is the total stored potential energy of this three-charge system? {2}

Homework Equations

U=-W=∫ F.dr

The Attempt at a Solution

check the image[/B] for my full solution
OensjUn.jpg

My question is why do i need to include the sqrt(2) in the highlighted part, shouldn't it be sqrt(2)*a because that is the distance between those 2 points. Any explanation is much appreciated :)

Attachments

• OensjUn.jpg
    OensjUn.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,396
Physics news on Phys.org
It is not clear to me what the force on the third charge is. Obviously it depends on the integration path that you choose. So what path did you choose? I would recommend coming in from infinity along the perpendicular bisector between the first two charges to exploit the symmetry.

Burhan Uddin said:
My question is why do i need to include the sqrt(2) in the highlighted part,
I am confused on a couple of fronts.
You describe this as your solution. If you don't know why you need a √2, why did you include it?
Secondly, it looks like these two terms are supposed to represent the force vector from the charge at the origin (1) on the third charge (3) when it is at (x,y). But I do not see factors converting the whole force, ##\frac{kq^2}{x^2+y^2}##, into its x and y components.

A possible source of confusion is that the writing is too small to be clear in some places. Are those ##\hat x, \hat y## or ##\vec x, \vec y##? And is that a ##\hat y.dx## where I would expect ##\hat y.dy##?

kuruman said:
It is not clear to me what the force on the third charge is. Obviously it depends on the integration path that you choose. So what path did you choose? I would recommend coming in from infinity along the perpendicular bisector between the first two charges to exploit the symmetry.
The force depends on the location, not the path. The integral ##\int \vec F.\vec{dr}## can be performed without needing to specify a path.

haruspex said:
The force depends on the location, not the path. The integral ##\int \vec F.\vec{dr}## can be performed without needing to specify a path.
Perhaps I was not clear. The integrand is a typical element contributing to the sum of such elements and involves an expression for the field at a typical point along the path. The path is a collection of locations on which the field depends. Different path, different integrand. That's what I meant. Also, I don't see how the integral can be performed without needing to specify a path. The problem explicitly requires to calculate the "relevant line integral."

Likes Delta2
kuruman said:
Perhaps I was not clear. The integrand is a typical element contributing to the sum of such elements and involves an expression for the field at a typical point along the path. The path is a collection of locations on which the field depends. Different path, different integrand. That's what I meant. Also, I don't see how the integral can be performed without needing to specify a path. The problem explicitly requires to calculate the "relevant line integral."
Ah, yes - quite so. Apologies.

Likes Delta2
haruspex said:
I am confused on a couple of fronts.
You describe this as your solution. If you don't know why you need a √2, why did you include it?
Secondly, it looks like these two terms are supposed to represent the force vector from the charge at the origin (1) on the third charge (3) when it is at (x,y). But I do not see factors converting the whole force, ##\frac{kq^2}{x^2+y^2}##, into its x and y components.

A possible source of confusion is that the writing is too small to be clear in some places. Are those ##\hat x, \hat y## or ##\vec x, \vec y##? And is that a ##\hat y.dx## where I would expect ##\hat y.dy##?
They are ##\hat x, \hat y## and its ##\hat y.dx## because dy=dx.
sqrt(2) was included because i knew the answer but wasn't sure on the solution.

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the work done on a particle or object as it moves along a specific path in a vector field. It involves integrating a function along a curve or line.

2. How is work related to line integrals?

Work is directly related to line integrals because it is a way to calculate the amount of force applied to an object as it moves along a specific path. The line integral represents the work done by the force field along the path of the object.

3. What is the formula for calculating work using a line integral?

The formula for calculating work using a line integral is W = ∫F⋅dr, where F is the force field and dr is the differential displacement along the path of the object.

4. How do you determine the limits of integration for a line integral?

The limits of integration for a line integral are determined by the starting and ending points of the path along which the object is moving. These points are represented by the initial and final values of the variable used for the integration.

5. Can line integrals be used for any type of path?

Yes, line integrals can be used for any path, as long as the path is defined by a continuous function. This includes straight lines, curves, and even closed loops. However, the calculations may be more complex for non-linear paths.