Calculating Thickness of Lenses for Max. Reflection: n1, n2, λ

In summary, a highly reflective mirror can be created for a specific wavelength at normal incidence by using two thin layers of transparent materials with indices of refraction n1 and n2 (1 < n1 < n2) on the surface of the glass (n > n2). The minimum thickness d1 needed to maximize reflection can be expressed as lambda/2n1, while the minimum thickness d2 needed for maximum reflection can be expressed as lambda/2n1n2. However, there is also the possibility of a 180 degree phase shift, in which case the minimum thickness for d2 would be lambda/4n1n2.
toothpaste666

Homework Statement

A highly reflective mirror can be made for a particular wavelength at normal incidence by using two thin layers of transparent materials of indices of refraction n1 and n2 (1 < n1<n2 ) on the surface of the glass ( n>n2 ).(Figure 1)

giancoli-ch34-p52-jpg.75225.jpg

A)What should be the minimum thicknesses d1 in the figure in terms of the incident wavelength λ, to maximize reflection?Express your answer in terms of the variables n1, n2, and λ.

B)
What should be the minimum thickness d2 in the figure in terms of the incident wavelength λ, to maximize reflection?
Express your answer in terms of the variables n1, n2, and λ.

Homework Equations

2t = (lamda n)
(lamda n) = lamda/n

The Attempt at a Solution

they want us to maximize reflection so that means they want constructive interference so we use

[itex] 2d_1 = (lambda_n) = lamda/n_1 [/itex]

[itex] d_1= lambda / 2n_1 [/itex]

i put this as my answer for part a but it was wrong. I am guessing I need to include [itex] n_2 [/itex]
in my equation but i am not quite sure how to relate them. can someone point me in the right direction?

Attachments

• GIANCOLI.ch34.p52.jpg
    GIANCOLI.ch34.p52.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 847
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the main reason i am confused is that i don't see how the index of refraction n2 would affect the thickness d1. it seems that n1 and n2 would affect d2 but only n1 would affect d1

oh wait i accidently entered it into mastering physics as n1(lambda/2) -__- i turned out to be right about that one

so for the part B)
the wavelength of the light entering d2 is lambda/n1
[itex] 2d_2 = \frac{\frac{lambda}{n_1}}{n_2} [/itex]

[itex] d_2 = \frac{lambda}{2n_1n_2} [/itex]

is this correct?

or would it undergo a 180 degree phase shift and be
d2 = lambda/4n1n2

1. What is the formula for calculating the thickness of a lens for maximum reflection?

The formula for calculating the thickness of a lens for maximum reflection is t = (λ/4)(n2 - n1), where t is the thickness, λ is the wavelength of light, and n1 and n2 are the refractive indices of the two materials the lens is made of.

2. How do you determine the refractive indices of the materials used in the lens?

The refractive indices of the materials used in the lens can be determined by conducting experiments or by consulting reference tables. They represent the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in the material.

3. Can this formula be used for any type of lens?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of lens as long as the materials used in the lens have known refractive indices and the wavelength of light is known.

4. What happens if the thickness of the lens is not calculated correctly?

If the thickness of the lens is not calculated correctly, the amount of light reflected will not be maximized. This can result in a decrease in the performance and efficiency of the lens.

5. Is this formula only applicable for lenses used in scientific research or can it also be used for everyday lenses?

This formula can be used for any type of lens, including everyday lenses. It is commonly used in the design and manufacturing of lenses for various applications, from telescopes and microscopes to eyeglasses and camera lenses.