Calculating Time and Distance for a Tram with Sinusoidal Velocity

In summary, the given equation for the velocity of a tram traveling between two stops is v = 16sin(pi(t)/30) m/s. To find the time lapse between stops, you need to find the value of t when v = 0, which represents when the tram stops. The distance traveled between stops can be calculated by finding the integral of the velocity expression between the start and stop times. The maximum velocity of the tram occurs when v = 16 m/s, and this occurs at the halfway point between the start and stop times.
ashclouded

Homework Statement

The velocity of a tram traveling on a straight line between two stops is given by:
v = 16sin(pi(t)/30) m/s

find the time lapse between stops
the distance traveled between stops
the maximum velocity of the tram and when it occurs

Homework Equations

Displacement = x
Velocity = dx/dt
acceleration = dv/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have a clue how to start it

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey,

You would want to know at what time the tram stopped. At what value would you equate v if you want to know when it stopped after it started? Since this equation is a sine wave, you know that the velocity oscillates. What is the relationship between displacement and velocity according to calculus. You were given an equation for velocity, then how do you find displacement from there?

Displacement is the antiderivative of velocity so I can find the intergral of the given equation, I'm still not sure about the first question on finding the time it stopped

Since you want to find the displacement, you want to find the integral of the velocity expression. I understand that's what you already know. The integral has two defining values when calculating it: beginning (start) and the end (finish). The time velocity begins and the time velocity stops. At what speed does v equal when velocity suddenly stops. Put it another way, when an object stops, what does the value v equate to. This should be the value of the upper value of the integral.

I'm not sure if I explained it clearly.

v will = 0 at rest, but if the initial velocity is also 0 and final velocity is 0 also then I don't know how I can get the desired answer if that made sense

The distance is just the integral from start to finish. When you find the value of the time when v = 0, then you can calculate the integral between the start and when the tram stops.

What is velocity and how is it related to trains?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. In the context of trains, velocity is the speed at which the train is moving along its track. It also includes the direction of the train's movement.

How is velocity calculated for a train?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the train by the time it took to cover that distance. It is typically measured in miles per hour (mph) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

How does velocity affect a train's journey?

The velocity of a train affects its journey in several ways. A higher velocity means the train will travel a greater distance in a shorter amount of time. It also determines the train's stopping distance and its ability to navigate turns and curves on the track.

What factors can influence the velocity of a train?

The velocity of a train can be influenced by several factors, including the grade or slope of the track, the weight of the train, the condition of the track, and external factors such as wind and weather conditions. Changes in these factors can affect the train's speed and overall velocity.

How is velocity used in train transportation systems?

Velocity plays a crucial role in train transportation systems as it helps determine the train's schedule and arrival times. It is also used in the design and construction of train tracks and the development of safety protocols for train operations.