Calculating Time Dilation & Galaxy Rotation Curve

In summary: The galaxy is an extended non-rigid, roughly elliptical body. The simplifying assumptions you suggest are many orders of magnitude more significant that time dilation can ever be.It's a bit like factoring in time dilation to terrestrial projectile motion, but still ignoring air resistance!I suggest you look for a paper on galaxy dynamics.
sha1000
Hello,

What I understood from multiple answers on different threads is that the effect of the time dilation is too small to explain the galaxy rotation curve. I was advised to do some calculations in order to see it myself. And this is what I would like to do but I need some help.

- What is the best simple equation which represents the mass distribution as a function of R, so I can calculate the orbital velocity.
- What is the mass that I need to consider in order to calculate the time dilation for any star in the galaxy? It can't be only the mass of the central black hole but all the mass contained in the volume defined by R (distance between the star and the center of the galaxy); is it right?

Physics news on Phys.org
sha1000 said:
Hello,

What I understood from multiple answers on different threads is that the effect of the time dilation is too small to explain the galaxy rotation curve. I was advised to do some calculations in order to see it myself. And this is what I would like to do but I need some help.

- What is the best simple equation which represents the mass distribution as a function of R, so I can calculate the orbital velocity.
- What is the mass that I need to consider in order to calculate the time dilation for any star in the galaxy? It can't be only the mass of the central black hole but all the mass contained in the volume defined by R (distance between the star and the center of the galaxy); is it right?
Calculating the expected galaxy dynamics takes you into the realm of a computer simulation. Instead, you can work with the observed quantities:

1) We know that the galaxy is about 100,000 light years across.

2) We know that the galaxy's rotation speed is about ##200km/s## in the neighbourhood of the Sun. That's less than 1% of the speed of light.

3) You can calculate the time dilation associated with a speed of ##200km/s## and find it's negligible.

That's all you need. The relative motion of stars in our galaxy is not significantly relativistic.

PeroK said:
Calculating the expected galaxy dynamics takes you into the realm of a computer simulation. Instead, you can work with the observed quantities:

1) We know that the galaxy is about 100,000 light years across.

2) We know that the galaxy's rotation speed is about ##200km/s## in the neighbourhood of the Sun. That's less than 1% of the speed of light.

3) You can calculate the time dilation associated with a speed of ##200km/s## and find it's negligible.

That's all you need. The relative motion of stars in our galaxy is not significantly relativistic.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Since you mentioned the speed of the sun 200km/s, I suppose that you are referring to the time dilation related to the speed. What I would like to calculate is the orbital velocity of the stars and the gravitational time dilation as a function of R using the equation: T' = T*sqrt(1 - 2GM/rc^2). I need the mass distribution equation in order to get it right.

Once I have a acceptable approximation of the mass distribution it's easy to calculate the orbital velocity (using the mass which is contained in the volume defined by R). But I have a doubt that I must use the same mass for the gravitational time dilation.

sha1000 said:
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Since you mentioned the speed of the sun 200km/s, I suppose that you are referring to the time dilation related to the speed. What I would like to calculate is the orbital velocity of the stars and the gravitational time dilation as a function of R using the equation: T' = T*sqrt(1 - 2GM/rc^2). I need the mass distribution equation in order to get it right.

Once I have a acceptable approximation of the mass distribution it's easy to calculate the orbital velocity (using the mass which is contained in the volume defined by R). But I have a doubt that I must use the same mass for the gravitational time dilation.
The galaxy is an extended non-rigid, roughly elliptical body. The simplifying assumptions you suggest are many orders of magnitude more significant that time dilation can ever be.

It's a bit like factoring in time dilation to terrestrial projectile motion, but still ignoring air resistance!

I suggest you look for a paper on galaxy dynamics. I suspect one can't be hard to find. It's not going to use high-school mathematics and physics.

Likes sha1000
Gravitational time dilation is of the same order of magnitude as kinematic time dilation for objects in orbits. That follows from the fact that ##v^2=GM/r## for a circular orbit and ##\gamma=1/\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}\approx 1+v^2/2c^2##.

If you insist on doing full calculations, the very first search result for "galaxy rotation curves" is the relevant Wikipedia page, which includes graphs (and supporting citations) for M33. That would be a good place to start.

Likes sha1000 and PeroK
Ibix said:
Gravitational time dilation is of the same order of magnitude as kinematic time dilation for objects in orbits. That follows from the fact that ##v^2=GM/r## for a circular orbit and ##\gamma=1/\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}\approx 1+v^2/2c^2##.

If you insist on doing full calculations, the very first search result for "galaxy rotation curves" is the relevant Wikipedia page, which includes graphs (and supporting citations) for M33. That would be a good place to start.

Thanks.

Can I conclude that we use the same M (mass) in both equations (##v^2=GM/r## and T' = T*sqrt(1 - 2GM/rc^2)) which leads to the same order of magnitude for both kinematic and gravitational time dilation? This was actually my question since the beginning :).

sha1000 said:
Thanks.

Can I conclude that we use the same M (mass) in both equations (##v^2=GM/r## and T' = T*sqrt(1 - 2GM/rc^2)) which leads to the same order of magnitude for both kinematic and gravitational time dilation? This was actually my question since the beginning :).
Essentially, yes, although ##v^2 = GM/r## is for a spherically symmetric distribution of mass. And the galaxy is not even approximately spherical.

Likes marcosdb and sha1000
PeroK said:
Essentially, yes, although ##v^2 = GM/r## is for a spherically symmetric distribution of mass. And the galaxy is not even approximately spherical.
Engineers famously approximate even cows as spherical.

Likes marcosdb and PeroK

1. What is time dilation and how is it calculated?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to move slower for an object or person in motion compared to a stationary observer. It is calculated using the formula t = t0 / √(1 - (v^2/c^2)), where t0 is the time for the stationary observer, v is the velocity of the moving object, and c is the speed of light.

2. How does time dilation affect space travel?

Time dilation plays a crucial role in space travel as it affects the perception of time for astronauts. As they travel at high speeds, time appears to move slower for them, which means they age slower compared to people on Earth. This phenomenon is also taken into account in space missions, as it can affect the accuracy of time-dependent calculations.

3. What is the relationship between time dilation and the speed of an object?

The relationship between time dilation and the speed of an object is inverse. As the speed of an object increases, time dilation also increases. This means that the faster an object moves, the slower time appears to pass for it.

4. How is the rotation curve of a galaxy calculated?

The rotation curve of a galaxy is calculated by measuring the velocity of stars or gas at different distances from the center of the galaxy. This data is then plotted on a graph, with the distance from the center on the x-axis and the velocity on the y-axis. The resulting curve is used to determine the mass distribution of the galaxy.

5. What is the significance of calculating the rotation curve of a galaxy?

The rotation curve of a galaxy is significant as it provides insight into the distribution of mass within the galaxy. It also helps in understanding the dynamics of the galaxy and can help in identifying the presence of dark matter, which is believed to make up a large portion of the mass in the universe.