Calculating Time for Inductor Voltage to Drop to 13 V in RL Circuit

In summary, an RL circuit can be used to generate high-voltage from a low-voltage source. In one scenario, the switch is in position "a" for a long time and the current is 0.9A. When the switch is quickly moved to position "b", the initial voltage across the inductor is found to be 1143.9V. To calculate the time it takes for the voltage to drop to 13V, the equation V=I_0Re^(-R/L)t is used, which gives an incorrect answer of 7.64ms. The correct answer may be a factor of 0.9 higher.
Punchlinegirl
One application of an RL circuit is the generation of time varying high-voltage from a low-voltage source as shown in the figure.
1257 ohms

14 ohms 2 H (switch) b
a
12.6 V.
Sorry, I couldn't get the picture, but here's a rough idea.. it's in a circuit.
What is the current in the circuit a long time after the switch has been in position "a"?
I got this part... it was 0.9 A
Part 2 says: Now the switch is thrown quickly from "a" to "b". Compute the initial voltage across the inductor.
I got this too.. it was 1143.9 V
Part 3 says: How much time elapses before the voltage across the inductor drops to 13 V? Answer in units of ms.

I used the equation [tex] I= I_0 e^ (-R/L)t [/tex]
and then figured out that [tex] V= I_0 Re^(-R/L)t [/tex]
so 13.0 V=(0.9)(1143.9)e^(1143.9t/2)
solving for t gave me 7.64 ms which isnt' right.. can someone please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're putting in 1143.9 for the resistance in the last equation? Are you just a factor of 0.9 low on the correct answer?

I tried using just 1143, but it still isn't right.

Maybe show in a bit more detail how you got 1143V. A picture would definitely help, if you could just upload some simple DOC or PDF file.

https://hw.utexas.edu/tmp/mq389/1145320743Xuj.pdf
I don't know if this will work. I found the 1143 V by:
first I calculated the initial current with was 0.9 A.
then I figured out the voltage from the 14 ohm resistor by using IR.
V= (14)(0.9)= 12.6 V
then I did the same thing for the larger resistor
V= (1257)(0.9)=1131.3 V
Then to get the total voltage, I added these together..
1131.3+12.6=1143.9 V.
so that's why I was using it to find how much time it would take.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Calculating Time for Inductor Voltage to Drop to 13 V in RL Circuit

1. What is an RL circuit?

An RL circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R) and an inductor (L) connected in series. It is a type of passive circuit that is used to control the flow of electricity.

2. How does an RL circuit behave?

An RL circuit behaves differently depending on the frequency of the alternating current (AC) passing through it. At low frequencies, the inductor acts as a short circuit and the current is high. At high frequencies, the inductor acts as an open circuit and the current is low.

3. What is the formula for calculating the voltage in an RL circuit?

The formula for calculating the voltage in an RL circuit is V = L di/dt + Ri, where V is the voltage, L is the inductance, i is the current, t is time, and R is the resistance. This formula is known as the differential equation for an RL circuit.

4. How can I solve a voltage problem in an RL circuit?

To solve a voltage problem in an RL circuit, you can use the formula V = L di/dt + Ri and plug in the known values for L, R, and i. You can then use algebra to rearrange the equation and solve for the voltage (V).

5. What is the time constant of an RL circuit?

The time constant of an RL circuit is the amount of time it takes for the current to reach 63.2% of its maximum value when the circuit is subjected to a sudden change in voltage. It is calculated by dividing the inductance (L) by the resistance (R) in the circuit.