Calculating Time for Mass to Travel Distance on a Pulley

In summary, the problem involves two blocks connected by a rope and a pulley with friction. The pulley has a mass of 1.3kg and a diameter of 16cm. The question asks for the time it takes for a 4.0kg block to reach the floor when released from rest. After setting up equations for force and torque, the correct answer is found to be 0.16 seconds.
David Mordigal

Homework Statement

The two blocks in the figure are connected by a massless rope that passes over a pulley. The pulley is 16cm in diameter and has a mass of 1.3kg. As the pulley turns, friction at the axle exerts a torque of magnitude 0.50 N*m.

If the blocks are released from rest, how long does it take the 4.0kg block to reach the floor?
Express your answer using two significant figures.

jfk.Figure.P07.63.jpg

Homework Equations

τ = Iα
I = (1/2)MR2 = (1/2)(1.3kg)(0.082) = 0.00416 kg*m2

mpulley = 1.3kg
rpulley = (16/2)cm = 8cm = 0.08m

The Attempt at a Solution

a. Find the net torque being exerted on the pulley:
Στ = τm1 - τm2 - τƒ
= Fm1*r*sin(90) - Fm2*r*sin(90) - 0.5 N*m
= (4.0kg)(9.8m/s2)(0.08m) - (2.0kg)(9.8m/s2)(0.08m) - 0.5 N*m
= 3.136 N*m - 1.568 N*m - 0.5 N*m
= 1.068 N*m

b. Find the angular acceleration α of the pulley:
Given τ = Iα, α = τ/I
= (1.068 N*m) / (0.00416 kg*m2)
= 256.73 rad/s2 (this seems very large to me)

c. Given the radius of the pulley and α, we can now find linear acceleration:
a = rα = (0.08 m)(256.73 rad/s2) = 20.54 m/s2

d. Use the kinematic equation to find the final velocity after the block travels 1m to the floor:
v2 = v02 + 2ax
v2 = 2ax = 2(20.54 m/s2)(1.0 m) = 41.08
v = 6.41 m/s

e. Now substitute v into the definition of velocity and solve for Δt:
v = Δx/Δt
Δt = Δx / v = (1.0 m) / (6.41 m/s)
= 0.16s (rounded to 2 sig figs)

My homework system says this answer is wrong. I am not sure why I keep getting the wrong answer. Can someone help me out here? It is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like your not really on the right track to me. First find three equations, two force equations (for each block) and a torque equation (for the pulley). You should end up with three equations and three unknowns (two of which can be eliminated). At this point its just an algebra problem, so solve for your desired variable and then use one of the kinematic equations to find time.

1. How do you calculate the time for mass to travel a certain distance on a pulley?

To calculate the time for mass to travel a certain distance on a pulley, you need to know the mass of the object, the distance it needs to travel, and the speed at which it is moving. You can then use the formula t = d/v, where t is the time, d is the distance, and v is the speed.

2. What is the mass of the object in the equation for calculating time on a pulley?

The mass in the equation represents the weight of the object, which is measured in kilograms (kg). This is important because the mass of the object affects the speed at which it will travel on the pulley.

3. How does the distance affect the time it takes for the mass to travel on a pulley?

The distance directly affects the time it takes for the mass to travel on a pulley. The longer the distance, the longer it will take for the mass to reach its destination. This is because the time is directly proportional to the distance in the equation t = d/v.

4. Can you calculate the time for mass to travel on a pulley without knowing the speed?

No, the speed is an essential component in the equation for calculating time on a pulley. Without knowing the speed, you cannot accurately determine the time it will take for the mass to travel a certain distance on the pulley.

5. How can you change the time it takes for mass to travel on a pulley?

The time it takes for mass to travel on a pulley can be changed by altering the speed at which the pulley is moving. Increasing the speed will result in a shorter time, while decreasing the speed will result in a longer time. The mass and distance will also affect the time, so adjusting those variables can also impact the overall time it takes for mass to travel on a pulley.