Calculating time to arbitrary points of distance with initial velocity

In summary, the mathematician is trying to find the time of impact or time to a given point on the trajectory of a body that is falling without an atmosphere. They use the equation r=R cos^2\theta to find the time of impact. They integrate to find t and then use C' to find k and u. They use this information to calculate the energy of the system.
kirills
I've been trying to tackle this question for a while now, but I'm afraid it's not going anywhere without some outside help.

So let's say we have some body falling towards a planet without any atmosphere, and let's assume that the initial velocity is not equal to zero. Given these conditions I'm trying to derive a formula which would allow me to determine the exact time of impact or, in fact, time to any given point along the trajectory of the falling body .

Let's define r0 as initial separation; r as a destination point on the trajectory of the falling body(surface, for example); v0 as initial velocity; v as instantaneous velocity at point r; t0 as initial time; and T as time at point r.

Now acceleration as a function of distance is given by:

[tex]\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}=\frac{GM}{r^2}[/tex]
Using the chain rule we arrive at:

[tex]a(r)=\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{dv}{dr}\frac{dr}{dt}=v\frac{dv}{dr}[/tex] Therefore:[tex]a(r)dr=vdv[/tex]
Equivalently:

[tex]\frac{GM}{r^2}=vdv[/tex]
Now in order to get v:

[tex]v=\frac{dr}{dt}=\sqrt{\frac{2G(m1+m2)}{r}−\frac{2G(m1+m2)+v0^2}{r0}}[/tex]
[tex]v=\frac{dr}{dt}=\sqrt{\frac{2Gr0(m1+m2)−2Gr(m1+m2)+v0^2r0r}{r r0}}[/tex]
dt is calculated as:

[tex]dt=\sqrt{\frac{r0 rdr} {2Gr0(m1+m2)−2Gr(m1+m2)+(v0^2rr0)}}[/tex]
Now I have absolutely no idea how to calculate dr, but I hear it has something to do with gravitational potential energy. Some guidance on this matter would be much appreciated. I also have some doubts regarding the next step of my strategy. Let's say I manage to find dr, and what then? Intuitively I feel this is a right path to take but in fact I have no idea how to convert dr and dt into T.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've got to solve the differential equation:

[itex]\stackrel{..}{r}[/itex] = GM/r[itex]^{2}[/itex]

First off, you made a sign mistake in you first equation. Gravity is an attractive force and since it is convenient to define r to be positive than the acceleration should be negative
[tex]\frac{d^2 r}{dt^2}=-\frac{GM}{r^2}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dv}{dr}\frac{dr}{dt}=-\frac{GM}{r^2}[/tex]
[tex]v\frac{dv}{dr}=-\frac{GM}{r^2}[/tex]
[tex]v dv=-\frac{GM}{r^2}dr[/tex] Integrating, we get
[tex]\int v dv=-\int \frac{GM}{r^2}dr[/tex]
[tex]\frac{v^2}{2}= \frac{GM}{r}+C[/tex]
Now is a good point to talk about energy. The quantity in the left side of the last equation is the Kinetic energy per unit mass
[tex]k=\frac{K}{m}=\frac{v^2}{2}[/tex]
and the right side is related to the potential energy per unit time
[tex]u = \frac{U}{m}= - \frac{GM}{r}+C',[/tex]
where C' is an arbitrary most often (and most conveniently) chosen to be equal to zero. That doesn't matter. Any value for C' works fine, but we follow convention and set C' = 0 and get
[tex]k + u = C[/tex]
k+u is a conserved quantity identified with the mechanical energy per unit mass
[tex]C = e = \frac{E}{m} = k + u[/tex]
the initial conditions for the problem [itex]r_0,[/itex] and [itex]v_0,[/itex] can be used to find the energy

[tex]e = \frac{v_0^2}{2} - \frac{GM}{r_0}[/tex]

Going back to the equation
[tex]\frac{v^2}{2}= \frac{GM}{r}+e,[/tex] we proceed
[tex]-v= \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}+2e},[/tex] where v is taken to be negative since the object is falling
[tex]-\frac{dr}{dt}= \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}+2e}[/tex]
[tex]-dt= \frac{dr}{\sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}+2e}}[/tex]
[tex]-\sqrt{2GM}dt= \frac{dr}{\sqrt{\frac{1}{r}+\frac{e}{GM}}} = \frac{dr}{\sqrt{\frac{1}{r}-\frac{1}{R}}},[/tex] where the last equality defines R for convenience. The minus sign assumes total energy is negative. If that's not the case than a similar substitution with opposite sign might be used. Now we integrate again
[tex]-\sqrt{2GM}\int dt = \int \frac{dr}{\sqrt{\frac{1}{r}-\frac{1}{R}}} = \int \frac{dr}{\sqrt{\frac{R-r}{rR}}} = \int \frac{\sqrt{Rr}dr}{\sqrt{R-r}}[/tex]
[tex]-\sqrt{\frac{2GM}{R}}\int dt = \int \frac{\sqrt{r}dr}{\sqrt{R-r}}[/tex]
[tex]-\sqrt{2e}\int dt = \int \frac{\sqrt{r}dr}{\sqrt{R-r}}[/tex]
Now we make the change of variable [itex]r=Rcos^2\theta[/itex]
[tex]-t\sqrt{2e} = \int \frac{\sqrt{Rcos^2\theta}(-2Rcos\theta sin\theta d \theta)}{\sqrt{{R-Rcos^2\theta}}}-C''[/tex]
[tex]t\sqrt{2e} = \int \frac{\sqrt{R}cos\theta(2Rcos\theta sin\theta d \theta)}{\sqrt{R}sin\theta}+C''[/tex]
[tex]t\sqrt{2e} = \int \frac{\sqrt{R}cos\theta(2Rcos\theta d \theta)}{\sqrt{R}}+C''[/tex]

Something came up. I won't be able to finish that post. I assume you can take it from here.

1. How do I calculate the time it takes to reach a certain distance with an initial velocity?

To calculate the time it takes to reach a certain distance with an initial velocity, you can use the formula t = d/v, where t is the time, d is the distance, and v is the initial velocity. Simply divide the distance by the initial velocity to get the time.

2. What units should be used for the distance and velocity when calculating time?

The units used for distance should be consistent with the units used for velocity. For example, if the distance is measured in meters, then the velocity should be measured in meters per second. This will ensure that the time calculated is in seconds.

3. Can this calculation be used for both constant and changing velocities?

Yes, this calculation can be used for both constant and changing velocities. However, for changing velocities, the initial velocity used in the formula should be the average velocity over the distance being measured.

4. How accurate is this method for calculating time to a certain distance?

This method is accurate as long as the initial velocity remains constant and there are no external factors affecting the velocity, such as air resistance. If the initial velocity is not constant, then the calculation will be less accurate.

5. Are there any other factors that should be considered when calculating time to a certain distance?

Yes, there are other factors that should be considered when calculating time to a certain distance. These include external factors that may affect the velocity, as well as the starting position and direction of the object. In addition, the accuracy of the measurement of distance and velocity can also impact the accuracy of the time calculation.