Falling time for a free falling object through large distances

In summary, the author calculating a time formula for a free falling object through large distances found that the equation is G⋅(M/r2) and found the time t as t0 + (2/3)⋅√(r3/-2⋅G⋅M).
Vicara
Well, first of all i want to apologize about my english skills hahaha
I have been trying to calculate a time formula for free falling object through large distances (or weak gravitational fields) and my results don´t have much sense (I test my results in a quite realistic game called Algodoo)
What I have calculated is

g(r) = G⋅(M/r2) and as g = dv/dt = dv/dr ⋅ dr/dv = dv/dr ⋅ v

we got

∫v⋅dv = ∫G⋅M/r2 = 0.5⋅v2 = G⋅M⋅(-1/r)

v(r) = √(2⋅G⋅M⋅(-1/r)) = dr/dt now we integrate both sides ∫dt = ∫1/[ √(2⋅G⋅M⋅(-1/r) ] ⋅dr

and finally

t = t0 + (2/3)⋅√(r3/-2⋅G⋅M)

Please tell me what is wrong or if what i´m doing makes sense
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
First, sign: a = -GM/r2: acceleration is towards the mass.
Second, you need a definite integral: ∫-G⋅M/r2 = GM(1/r - 1/r0)

mjc123 said:
First, sign: a = -GM/r2: acceleration is towards the mass.
Second, you need a definite integral: ∫-G⋅M/r2 = GM(1/r - 1/r0)

Well, I have done that and now i have something that I don't know how to integrate (I´m actually not very good at calculus)

https://ibb.co/dhztfv

Sorry for the photo :/

There are a few old threads about this. Note that these threads are considering the time it takes for two objects to collide (both objects accelerate towards each other), but it seems they have similar intermediate formula for velocity, M for the one object case, (m1+m2) for the two object case. For the 2 object case, if m1 >> m2, then the sum (m1+m2) ~= m1, so let M = m1. Some of these consider point objects others consider objects with non-zero radius.

See post #11 for a Kepler's law approach and post #19 for the approach used here:

Non constant accelleration equation(s)

Using a different substitution here, and also allowing for non-zero radius objects:

Rectilinear motion of two attracting masses

See post #66, #68, and #73 for examples of both substitutions:

time-of-a-falling-object-when-the-force-of-gravity-isnt-constant

Last edited:
Likes Vicara
rcgldr said:
There are a few old threads about this. Note that these threads are considering the time it takes for two objects to collide (both objects accelerate towards each other), but it seems they have similar intermediate formula for velocity, M for the one object case, (m1+m2) for the two object case. For the 2 object case, if m1 >> m2, then the sum (m1+m2) ~= m1, so let M = m1. Some of these consider point objects others consider objects with non-zero radius.

Using a different substitution here, and also allowing for non-zero radius objects:

Oh, thanks! :bow:

Now I will spend a few hours trying to understand that hahaha but I´m sure that it will be worth :D

rcgldr said:

See post #11 for a Kepler's law approach and post #19 for the approach used here:

Hi again
There is something that I don't understand in the solution of the problem (the part after "using arildno's method") which integrating method did you use to solve sqrt (r/r0-r) dr?

I guess you have the integral
$$I=\int \mathrm{d} r \sqrt{\frac{r}{r_0-r}}.$$
Let's try the substitution
$$r=r_0 \cos^2 u.$$
Then you have
$$\mathrm{d} r= -2r_0 \sin u \cos u$$
and thus
$$I=-2r_0 \int \mathrm{d}u \cos^2 u.$$
Now we have
$$\cos(2u)=\cos^2 u - \sin^2 u=2 \cos^2 u-1 \; \Rightarrow \; \cos^2 u=\frac{1+\cos(2u)}{2}$$
and thus
$$I=-r_0 \left [u+\frac{1}{2}\sin(2 u) \right]=-r_0 (u+\sin u \cos u)=-r_0 \left [\arccos \left (\sqrt{r/r_0} \right)+\sqrt{(r/r_0-r^2/r_0^2)} \right].$$

Likes Vicara
vanhees71 said:
I guess you have the integral
$$I=\int \mathrm{d} r \sqrt{\frac{r}{r_0-r}}.$$
Let's try the substitution
$$r=r_0 \cos^2 u.$$
Then you have
$$\mathrm{d} r= -2r_0 \sin u \cos u$$
and thus
$$I=-2r_0 \int \mathrm{d}u \cos^2 u.$$
Now we have
$$\cos(2u)=\cos^2 u - \sin^2 u=2 \cos^2 u-1 \; \Rightarrow \; \cos^2 u=\frac{1+\cos(2u)}{2}$$
and thus
$$I=-r_0 \left [u+\frac{1}{2}\sin(2 u) \right]=-r_0 (u+\sin u \cos u)=-r_0 \left [\arccos \left (\sqrt{r/r_0} \right)+\sqrt{(r/r_0-r^2/r_0^2)} \right].$$
ohhhh, okey, now i got it hahaha
Thanks to all ^^

Vicara said:
There is something that I don't understand in the solution of the problem (the part after "using arildno's method") which integrating method did you use to solve sqrt (r/r0-r) dr?
The prior threads showed two different substitutions. The arildno substitution is:

$$u = \sqrt{\frac{r}{r_0-r}}$$

That post then solves for r and then takes dr to end up with:

$$dr = \frac{2 r_0 u \ du}{(1 + u^2)^2}$$

This results in :

$$\sqrt{\frac{r}{r_0-r}}\ dr = \frac{2 r_0 u^2 \ du}{(1 + u^2)^2}$$

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71

1. What factors affect the falling time of a free falling object through large distances?

The falling time of a free falling object is affected by several factors, including the initial height, the gravitational acceleration, and the air resistance. The greater the initial height, the longer the falling time will be. The stronger the gravitational acceleration, the shorter the falling time will be. And the greater the air resistance, the longer the falling time will be.

2. How can the falling time of a free falling object be calculated?

The falling time of a free falling object can be calculated using the formula t = √(2h/g), where t is the falling time, h is the initial height, and g is the gravitational acceleration. This equation assumes that air resistance is negligible. For more accurate calculations, the equation t = √(2h/(g(1-k/m))) can be used, where k is the air resistance constant and m is the mass of the object.

3. Does the mass of the object affect the falling time?

According to the equations mentioned in the previous question, the mass of the object does not affect the falling time. However, in reality, objects with larger mass experience slightly more air resistance, which can affect the falling time. But this effect is usually negligible for most objects.

4. How does air resistance affect the falling time of a free falling object?

Air resistance is the force exerted by air on a moving object. As an object falls, it experiences a force of air resistance that opposes its motion. This force increases with velocity, so as the object falls, the air resistance also increases. This results in a slower acceleration and a longer falling time compared to the theoretical calculations without air resistance.

5. Can the falling time of a free falling object be affected by the shape or size of the object?

Yes, the shape and size of the object can affect the falling time. Objects with larger surface area experience more air resistance, which can result in a longer falling time. Additionally, objects with a more streamlined shape will experience less air resistance and thus have a shorter falling time compared to objects with a more irregular shape.