Calculating Torque around moving Centre of mass

In summary, the conversation discusses a man of mass M standing on a railroad car and rounding an unbanked turn at speed v. The man's center of mass is height L above the car and his feet are distance d apart. The question is how much weight is on each of his feet, and the conversation provides equations for sum of forces and torques to solve for this. It is suggested to pick an axis that has an unknown force acting through it to simplify the equations.
sunquick

Homework Statement

A man of mass M stands on a railroad car which is rounding an unbanked turn of radius R at speed v. His center of mass is height L above the car, and his feet are distance d apart. The man is facing the direction of motion . How much weight is on each of his feet?

Homework Equations

Sum of forces in the radial direction: -f1-f2 = m v^2 / R
Sum of forces n the vertical direction: -W+ N1 + N2 = 0
Sum of torques = 0

3. The Attempt at a Solution

f1 and f2 are the reaction forces on each foot of the man in the radial direction, N1 and N2 are the reaction forces on each of the man's feet in the vertical (up) direction and are balanced by the weight of the man.
I need to get an extra equation from the sum of torques around some axis of rotation, but I don't understand which axis it is. The man is not spinning in any direction, but I0m trying to get an equation for the torques caused by N1 and N2 at some distance from a point through the axis of (no-)rotation. Can I calculate the torques around the tangent to the trajectory of motion that goes trough the center of mass, even though the center of mass is being accelerated and therefore isn't an inertial frame of reference? Should I go an try to sum the torques using the center of the curve as the origin of the coordinates, since that is stationary?

Physics news on Phys.org
sunquick said:
I need to get an extra equation from the sum of torques around some axis of rotation, but I don't understand which axis it is...snip.. I'm trying to get an equation for the torques caused by N1 and N2 at some distance from a point through the axis of (no-)rotation.

You can pick almost any axis, for example you could pick his centre of mass or one foot. You will get a different equation but after solving all the simultaneous equations the result should be the same.

If you picked his centre of mass you would get torques due to f1, f2, N1, N2.

PS: It's sometimes helpful to pick an axis that has an unknown force acting through it. That way the unknown force won't feature in the equation. For example the equation that sums the torques about the centre of mass won't contain terms for "w" or "mv^2/r" because they act through the centre of mass. In short careful choice of the axis saves you a few steps when solving the simultaneous equations.

I assume it is not necessary to consider forces f1 and f2. This would be redundant as N1 and N2 are needed. I would choose an axis which would go through the centre point between man's feet perpendicular to the radius and the direction of gravity force(so that torques of N1 N2 and centrifugal forces are non-zero). As there is no rotation about this axis, the total torque must be zero. This equation accompanied by the second law will give you the solution.

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is represented by the symbol "τ" and is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

How is torque calculated?

To calculate torque around a moving center of mass, you can use the equation τ = r x F, where τ is the torque, r is the distance from the center of mass to the axis of rotation, and F is the force applied to the object. This equation takes into account the direction of the force and the direction of rotation.

What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is the point where an object's mass is evenly distributed in all directions. It is the point where an object can be balanced, and it is also the point around which an object will rotate if acted upon by a force.

How does the center of mass affect torque calculations?

The center of mass plays a crucial role in torque calculations because it determines the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This distance, known as the lever arm, is a crucial component in calculating torque.

Can torque be negative?

Yes, torque can be negative. A negative torque indicates that the object is rotating in the opposite direction of the applied force. This can occur when the force is applied in a direction perpendicular to the lever arm, causing the object to rotate in the opposite direction.