Calculating Torque on a Rod: Net Torque, Mass & Distance

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of torque and how it relates to objects such as seesaws and rods. The formula for torque is explained as (perpendicular force)(radius), but the torque of the object itself is not taken into account. The question is posed of where to place a 3kg weight to balance a 5kg rod on a fulcrum, and an explanation is given on how to calculate the torque from the weight of each side of the rod. The concept of the center of gravity is also mentioned as helpful in solving this type of problem.
tummbacoco
So I've learned that the torque on an object is just: (perpendicular force)(radius) and that has worked well for things like seesaws but it doesn't take into account the torque of the object itself!

7pqSg.png

In the picture the rod has a total mass of 5kg, and by definition the torque on the right is greater than that on the left. T=Fr

Now my question is a what distance to the left of the fulcrum (triangle supporting the rod) would I have to put a 3kg weight to balance the rod?? I've tried calculating the net torque Tnet= Iα but have yet to solve this problem. Since the problem is just practice I'm looking for an explanation more so than an answer. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the rod is horizontal, you can calculate the torque from the weight of the part of the rod each side of the fulcrum, as an integral of the torques of small segments, from the fulcrum to the end of the rod on that side.

Torque from weight of a side of length ##L = \int_0^L m g l\,\frac{dl}L##

Find out what the 'Centre of Gravity' of a body is . This will help you a lot when doing this sort of problem .

Your phrase "torque of the object itself" really does not make any sense. The object, presumably the rod, does not cause any torque; it is just a chunk of mass. The force of gravity on this mass causes a torque, but that is due to gravity, not due to the rod.

Likes russ_watters

1. What is torque and how is it calculated?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied.

2. How is net torque calculated?

Net torque is calculated by adding together all of the individual torques acting on an object. This can be done by finding the torque for each force acting on the object and then adding them together.

3. What role does mass play in calculating torque?

Mass plays a role in calculating torque because it affects an object's rotational inertia. The greater the mass of an object, the more force is required to rotate it and the greater the torque will be.

4. How does distance affect torque?

Distance is a crucial factor in calculating torque. The farther the force is applied from the pivot point, the greater the torque will be. This means that a smaller force applied at a greater distance can create the same torque as a larger force applied at a shorter distance.

5. What are some real-life examples of torque on a rod?

Some common examples of torque on a rod include using a wrench to tighten a bolt, using a lever to lift a heavy object, and using a crank to open a can. In all of these situations, torque is necessary to overcome the resistance and create rotational motion.