Torque needed to rotate a rack

In summary, the weight of the rack is supported by an axial bearing and the torque has been calculated by considering the chain traction force and required shaft power. The treatment of the moment of inertia and distribution of mass on the circular plates is still unknown. The turntable's mass moment of inertia needs to be computed to spec a motor, taking into account frictional losses in bearings and other drive components. The rack should be treated as point masses at their radius of rotation, while the plates, shaft, and gears should be treated as cylinders. The driver gear should also be taken into account and an acceptable angular acceleration needs to be determined for the application.
Aaron Mac
Homework Statement
Smaller sprocket (15 TEETH) is attached to the shaft of the motor and larger sprocket (30 teeth) is attached to the shaft of the rack. I am targeting a speed of 10rpm to 12rpm of the rack. However, i am having trouble sizing the motor for this action.
Relevant Equations
Chain traction force, Shaft power
The weight of the rack is supported on an axial bearing as seen in the attached pdf below. I have made an attempt to calculate the torque by taking a look at the chain traction force and the required shaft power to make the plates rotate. For the moment of inertia case i don't know how to treat this case also and also mass will be distributed at random on the circular plates. Please can someone help me or guide me

Attachments

• Screenshot (51).pdf
    319.3 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
10 -12 rpm? Additional mass(s) placed at random places. Is this a rotating cupcake display?

Likes scottdave and Aaron Mac
Anyhow. To get started, in order to spec a motor you should compute the mass moment of inertia of the turntable. This is relevant for the period of time when the turntable is accelerating from rest to the desired rpm. After acceleration of the system has ceased, the remaining power demand will be frictional losses in bearings and other drive components. In general, you should be basically shooting for a slight overestimate.

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban and Aaron Mac
erobz said:
10 -12 rpm? Additional mass(s) placed at random places. Is this a rotating cupcake display?
No haha but could use it!

erobz said:
Anyhow. To get started, in order to spec a motor you should compute the moment of inertia of the turntable. this is relevant for the period of time when the turntable is accelerating from rest to the desired rpm. After acceleration of the system has ceased, the remaining power demand will be frictional losses in bearings and other drive components. In general, you should be basically shooting for a slight overestimate.
Yes but how do i treat the rack? As a solid cylinder? Or individual circular disks? That is 4 circular disks? And from there on what shall be calculated to find the torque required?

Have you seen the attached pdf above? Is it relevant?

Kind Regards,
Aaron

Attachments

• d.jpg
    d.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 71
Aaron Mac said:
Yes but how do i treat the rack? As a solid cylinder? Or individual circular disks? That is 4 circular disks? And from there on what shall be calculated to find the torque required?

Have you seen the attached pdf above? Is it relevant?

Kind Regards,
Aaron
Treat the vertical posts as point masses at their radius of rotation. The plates as cylinders of radius ##r_{p}##, shaft as a cylinder, gears as a cylinder. Treat each of the randomly placed masses at the furthest radial distance possible (maintaining symmetry - unbalanced thigs tend to wobble) as point masses. That should maximize the moment of inertial, giving you some built in "fudge factor"

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban and Aaron Mac
erobz said:
Treat the vertical posts as point masses at their radius of rotation. The plates as cylinders of radius ##r_{p}##, shaft as a cylinder, gears as a cylinder. Treat each of the randomly placed masses at the furthest radial distance possible (maintaining symmetry - unbalanced thigs tend to wobble) as point masses. That should maximize the moment of inertial, giving you some built in "fudge factor"
Thank you for your answer once again. I have attached an image below for the derivation, sorry for the uncleanliness btw. Should i also take into account the driver Gear also?

Let's suppose i get Total Moment of inertia as 100kgm^2. What do i do next?

Thank you for your guide dear friend!

Attachments

• 2e.jpg
    2e.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 66
Aaron Mac said:
Should i also take into account the driver Gear also
Yes, just start at the pinion and work your way out from there.

Note, be careful with the gears (they have related but different angular velocities). You are going to have to relate them to the angular acceleration of the table when accounting for their moment of inertia.
Aaron Mac said:
Let's suppose i get Total Moment of inertia as 100kgm^2. What do i do next?
After that you need to determine an acceptable angular acceleration for the application. Just pretend you want the angular acceleration to be constant ( I won't be in reality, but we are just aiming for an upper bound at the moment)... This thing is rotating fairly slowly. Maybe you can accept this turntable taking 2 full rotations to get up to full speed, maybe 4 ? from there what kinematic relationship would you apply to determine ##\alpha##, that involves ##\omega, \theta##?

Last edited:
erobz said:
Yes, just start at the pinion and work your way out from there.

Note, be careful with the gears (they have related but different angular velocities). You are going to have to relate them to the angular acceleration of the table when accounting for their moment of inertia.

After that you need to determine an acceptable angular acceleration for the application. Just pretend you want the angular acceleration to be constant ( I won't be in reality, but we are just aiming for an upper bound at the moment)... This thing is rotating fairly slowly. Maybe you can accept this turntable taking 2 full rotations to get up to full speed, maybe 4 ? from there what kinematic relationship would you apply to determine ##\alpha##, that involves ##\omega, \theta##?
I have attached the image please check it if it is right. And also i didn't take into account the driver Gear into consideration when deriving the moment of inertia of the whole system. I suppose it is not important, am i right?
And are the calculations i sent initially for the chain traction force etc, should i still take that into account for the motor sizing?
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-01-15 at 21.30.38.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-01-15 at 21.30.38.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 69
Aaron Mac said:
The weight of the rack is supported on an axial bearing as seen in the attached pdf below.
Welcome, @Aaron Mac !

The PDF file shows diameter of discs as to be 30 mm.
In that case, there is no calculation to make, as any rotational inertia will be very small.

More energy will be consumed by that horizontal 1/4-pitch chain and both sprockets due to gravity induced misalignment.

Would you be able to use a motor with output of 20 to 24 rpm?

Likes erobz
Lnewqban said:
Welcome, @Aaron Mac !

The PDF file shows diameter of discs as to be 30 mm.
In that case, there is no calculation to make, as any rotational inertia will be very small.

More energy will be consumed by that horizontal 1/4-pitch chain and both sprockets due to gravity induced misalignment.

Would you be able to use a motor with output of 20 to 24 rpm?
Hello there, actually the system being built should be able to to stop at 4 positions minimum, you can see on top of the rack i have divided the sections from A to F. But in actual system the discs will be divided into 4, i.e A to D. So i will be using a stepper motor for that. Upon building the prototype and testing it that i will know if 20 to 24 rpm is acceptable. This is why i chose a safer option of 12 rpm which is relatively slow.
And for the gravity induced misalignment, the sprocket on the motor shaft will be fixed with set screws, but i can also use a little shaft collar to prevent that from happening.
And the driven gear can also use a shaft collar and a thrust bearing to minimize the friction between the sprocket and shaft collar. I have made a little freehand sketch to picture what i am trying to say. I don't know if that makes sense, i don't have much experience in this subject i am still a beginner.

But how would you size a motor for that system?
Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• getfwd.jpg
    getfwd.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 64
A couple of points;

a) To find the torque needed to make the system run at a constant speed, you need to know the frictional losses in the bearings and the chain. This torque could be a lot less than the torque needed to accelerate the system (assuming everything is well lubricated!). So when acceleration is complete, the torque will need to be reduced to keep the speed constant. Or maybe (as suggested by @Lnewqban) you could find a motor which settles at a constant speed.

b) You appear to have calculated the total moment of inertia to be 100 kg m². That can’t be right considering the total mass is only a few kg and the radius is 0.3m!

Likes Aaron Mac
Steve4Physics said:
A couple of points;

a) To find the torque needed to make the system run at a constant speed, you need to know the frictional losses in the bearings and the chain. This torque could be a lot less than the torque needed to accelerate the system (assuming everything is well lubricated!). So when acceleration is complete, the torque will need to be reduced to keep the speed constant. Or maybe (as suggested by @Lnewqban) you could find a motor which settles at a constant speed.

b) You appear to have calculated the total moment of inertia to be 100 kg m². That can’t be right considering the total mass is only a few kg and the radius is 0.3m!
Thank you for your answer, I just took the inertia value at random for as an example. Even when overestimating some parameters the Total moment of inertia doesn't even reach 0.2 kgm^2.

Likes Steve4Physics

1. What is torque and how is it related to rotation?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is directly related to rotation because the amount of torque applied to an object determines how much it will rotate.

2. How is the torque needed to rotate a rack calculated?

The torque needed to rotate a rack can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the rack by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This is known as the moment arm.

3. What factors affect the torque needed to rotate a rack?

The torque needed to rotate a rack is affected by the weight of the rack, the distance from the axis of rotation to the center of mass of the rack, and the friction between the rack and the surface it is rotating on.

4. How can the torque needed to rotate a rack be increased?

The torque needed to rotate a rack can be increased by increasing the force applied to the rack or by increasing the moment arm, which can be done by moving the force further away from the axis of rotation.

5. Why is it important to know the torque needed to rotate a rack?

Knowing the torque needed to rotate a rack is important for designing and operating machinery that uses racks, such as conveyor systems or gearboxes. It ensures that the proper amount of force is applied to the rack to achieve the desired rotation and prevents damage to the machinery.