Calculating Total Internal Energy for a Monatomic Gas at Constant Pressure

In summary: The d is for delta. As in delta T change in temperature. OK. Note the negative power on cm. What would the units look like if you rewrote it with the cm part in the numerator?Have you considered using the ideal gas law to get the temperature? From the ideal gas law, how is mass density ##\rho## related to P, M, R, and T?In summary, the gas has a molar mass of 16 grams per mole, a pressure of 1.48 atmospheres, and an internal energy of 3.2 joules.
john mcgrain

Homework Statement

There is a monatomic gas held at a constant pressure of P = 1.48-atm, it also has a molar mass M = 16-g/mol and density ρ =1.9 × 10-3-g·cm-3. Find the total internal energy of 1-mol of this gas.

Homework Equations

U = Q + W
E = nCvT
PV = nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried E = 3/2nRdT but I am unsure as to how I could use molar mass and density to find anything that can be subbed into the equations. I tried dividing M and ρ cm-3/mol but I'm not sure were to go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF
john mcgrain said:
I have tried E = 3/2nRdT
What does "d" stand for here?

I tried dividing M and ρ cm-3/mol .
OK. Watch the units, they're not quite correct here. With the units corrected, what useful information is this giving you?

Likes john mcgrain
TSny said:
Welcome to PF
What does "d" stand for here?

OK. Watch the units, they're not quite correct here. With the units corrected, what useful information is this giving you?

The d is for delta. As in delta T change in temperature. When dividing M and ρ it seems as though grams cancels out and you're left with 1/cm-3*mol. If i instead divide ρ by M we are left with cm-3*mol which is V x n. I don't see where this can be put into the formula though, is there a formula I'm missing?

john mcgrain said:
The d is for delta. As in delta T change in temperature.
Why do you want to use a temperature change? Are you trying to determine a change in energy?

When dividing M and ρ it seems as though grams cancels out and you're left with 1/cm-3*mol.
OK. Note the negative power on cm. What would the units look like if you rewrote it with the cm part in the numerator?

Have you considered using the ideal gas law to get the temperature? From the ideal gas law, how is mass density ##\rho## related to P, M, R, and T?

1. What is total internal energy?

Total internal energy is the sum of all the kinetic and potential energy of the particles within a system. It includes the energy of the particles' random motion (thermal energy) and their interactions with each other (chemical and nuclear energy).

2. How is total internal energy different from other forms of energy?

Total internal energy is a type of microscopic energy, meaning it refers to the energy of individual particles. Other forms of energy, such as mechanical or electromagnetic, are macroscopic and describe the energy of a system as a whole.

3. How is total internal energy measured?

Total internal energy is typically measured in units of joules (J) or electron volts (eV). It can be calculated by summing the kinetic and potential energies of all the particles in a system, or it can be measured indirectly through changes in temperature or other thermodynamic variables.

4. Can total internal energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, total internal energy can be converted into other forms of energy through various processes such as chemical reactions, nuclear reactions, and heat transfer. This conversion is governed by the laws of thermodynamics.

5. How does total internal energy affect the behavior of a system?

The total internal energy of a system affects its temperature, pressure, and other thermodynamic properties. It also determines the direction and rate of energy flow within the system, which can have a significant impact on its overall behavior and stability.