Calculating Total Marks Weightage for Exams, Sports and Activities

In summary, the solution code is like this-:Exams_total=200.0Activities_total=60.0Sports_total=50.0Exam_score1=int(input("Enter marks in first examinations out of 100"))Exam_score2=int(input("Enter marks in second examinations out of 100"))Activities_score1=int(input("Enter marks in first activity out of 20"))Activities_score2=int(input("Enter marks in second activity out of 20"))Activities_score3=int(input("Enter marks in third activity out of 20"))sports_score=int(input("Enter marks in
shivajikobardan
The solution code is like this-:

Python:
   ACTIVITIES_WEIGHTAGE=30.0
    SPORTS_WEIGHTAGE=20.0
    EXAMS_WEIGHTAGE=50.0

EXAMS_TOTAL=200.0
    ACTIVITIES_TOTAL=60.0
    SPORTS_TOTAL=50.0

exam_score1=int(input("Enter marks in first examinations out of 100"))
    exam_score2=int(input("Enter marks in second examinations out of 100"))

sports_score=int(input("Enter marks in sports out of 50"))

activities_score1=int(input("Enter marks in first activity out of 20"))
    activities_score2=int(input("Enter marks in second activity out of 20"))
    activities_score3=int(input("Enter marks in third activity out of 20"))

exam_total=exam_score1+exam_score2

activities_total=activities_score1+activities_score2+activities_score3

exam_percent=float(exam_total*EXAMS_WEIGHTAGE/EXAMS_TOTAL)

sports_percent=float(sports_score*SPORTS_WEIGHTAGE/SPORTS_TOTAL)

activities_percent=float(activities_total*ACTIVITIES_WEIGHTAGE/ACTIVITIES_TOTAL)

total_percent=exam_percent+sports_percent+activities_percent

print("Total percentage=",total_percent)

I don't understand how we calculated exams_total, activities_total and sports_total here? What was the logic used for that? Do we have any other ways of solving this problem? I know this is too basic question. But I got really confused.

this is the logic that i want to be able to use and that i think is right, but i am not sure how i apply this in program...this looks too confusing for me..
total marks=50% of marks in 2 exams+20% of marks in 1 sports event+30% of marks in 3 activities?

Technology news on Phys.org
shivajikobardan said:
I don't understand how we calculated exams_total, activities_total and sports_total here?
Suppose a person got 60 points on exam 1 and 80 points on exam 2. Are you seriously saying you don't understand why the total exam score is 60 + 80 = 140?

Code:
ACTIVITIES_WEIGHTAGE=30.0
    SPORTS_WEIGHTAGE=20.0
    EXAMS_WEIGHTAGE=50.0

EXAMS_TOTAL=200.0
    ACTIVITIES_TOTAL=60.0
    SPORTS_TOTAL=50.0

Exams weightage is 50 and there are 2 exams, how is total 200?

Exam weight is given in percent, not in points. The maximum exam score may be 200, but in counts for 50% = 0.5 of the final score.

Suppose each of the two exams has a maximum score of 100 points, so the total for both is 200. Then there is a question how to include exam score in the final grade. If the exams are more important compared to sports and activities, the instructor may decide that exams account for 80% = 0.8 of the final score. If the exams carry less weight than the activities, the instructor may assign them 30% = 0.3 of the final score. So the weight of the exams is determined by their importance for the final result and is independent of how exams themselves are graded. If the weight of the exam is $w_e$ where $0<w_e<1$ (in your problem $w_e=0.5$), the maximum exam score is $m_e$ (in your problem $m_e=200$) and a student's exam score is $s_e$ (let's assume that $s_e=60+80=140$), then \(\displaystyle \frac{s_e}{m_e}\) shows how well the student performed on the exams, and \(\displaystyle \frac{s_e}{m_e} w_e\) is the share of the final score the student earned by passing the exams.

Does this help?

What is the importance of calculating total marks weightage for exams, sports and activities?

Calculating total marks weightage allows us to determine the overall performance of a student or athlete in various areas. It helps in evaluating their strengths and weaknesses and identifying areas for improvement.

How is the total marks weightage calculated for exams?

The total marks weightage for exams is calculated by adding up the marks obtained in each subject or topic and dividing it by the total marks possible. This gives us a percentage that represents the overall performance of the student in exams.

What factors are considered when calculating total marks weightage for sports and activities?

When calculating the total marks weightage for sports and activities, factors such as participation, skill level, and performance are taken into account. These may vary depending on the specific sport or activity.

Why is it important to include sports and activities in the total marks weightage calculation?

Including sports and activities in the total marks weightage calculation gives a more holistic view of a student's overall performance. It recognizes the importance of physical and extracurricular activities in a student's development and can motivate them to excel in these areas as well.

Is there a standard weightage for exams, sports, and activities?

There is no set standard weightage for exams, sports, and activities as it may vary among different educational institutions. It is important to have a balanced weightage that reflects the importance of each area and accurately represents a student's performance.