Calculating Tractive Force using two methods

In summary: Assuming that the car starts down the incline from rest, you can solve for vf using one of the kinematic equations knowing d and a . Which one?
Robert Forward
1. A car accelerates 1800m down an incline of 1 in 4 at 0.4ms^2. The car has a mass of 4,000kg and the resistance to motion is 400N

Determine:

a) The Tractive effort required by using D'Alemberts principle
b) The Tractive effort required by using the conservation of energy

Homework Equations

a)F=ma, mgsin(theta)
b) KE=1/2mv^2, PE=mgh [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) calculating intertial resistance
f=ma
4,000 x 0.4 = 1600N

calculating the angle of 1in 4
tan^-1(0.25)

calculating gravitational force
mgsin(theta)
4000 x 9.81 x sin(14.04)=9519.593816N[/B]

I'm stuck after this, do I add my two values and my resistance to motion or subtract them?

As for part b) I'm at a loss because I don't have any values for velocity to work out the change in KE nor do I have the height to work out PE. What am I missing here?

Thanks everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
Robert Forward said:
1. A car accelerates 1800m down an incline of 1 in 4 at 0.4ms^2. The car has a mass of 4,000kg and the resistance to motion is 400N

Determine:

a) The Tractive effort required by using D'Alemberts principle
b) The Tractive effort required by using the conservation of energy

Homework Equations

a)F=ma, mgsin(theta)
b) KE=1/2mv^2, PE=mgh [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) calculating intertial resistance
f=ma
4,000 x 0.4 = 1600N

calculating the angle of 1in 4
tan^-1(0.25)

calculating gravitational force
mgsin(theta)
4000 x 9.81 x sin(14.04)=9519.593816N[/B]

I'm stuck after this, do I add my two values and my resistance to motion or subtract them?
whether you add or subtract depends on the direction down or up the plane of the gravity force, resistance force, inertial force, and tractive force, which must sum to 0 using D'Alemberts principle. Once you establish the direction of the first 3, the direction and magnitude of the Tractive force will follow.
As for part b) I'm at a loss because I don't have any values for velocity to work out the change in KE nor do I have the height to work out PE. What am I missing here?
Use kinematic equations for finding V and trig for finding h. The length and slope of the incline is given.

Hi, I have something very similar to the original question and I have used D'Alemberts principle successfully for part a).
It is on part b) that I am also stuck.
Where you say use the kinematic equations this will not work as at the time you only know 2 of the values (Displacement and Acceleration). This is not enough to calculate a velocity.
I would be grateful for further explanation.

Alex Pegg said:
... you only know 2 of the values (Displacement and Acceleration). This is not enough to calculate a velocity.
Assuming that the car starts down the incline from rest, using one of the kinematic equations knowing d and a , you can solve for vf. Which one?

1. What is the purpose of calculating tractive force?

The purpose of calculating tractive force is to determine the amount of force required to move an object along a surface, taking into account factors such as weight, friction, and incline.

2. What are the two methods used to calculate tractive force?

The two methods used to calculate tractive force are the rolling resistance method and the power method. The rolling resistance method takes into account the weight of the object and the coefficient of friction of the surface, while the power method also takes into account the speed of the object.

3. How does the rolling resistance method work?

The rolling resistance method calculates tractive force by multiplying the weight of the object by the coefficient of friction of the surface. This method assumes a constant speed and does not take into account the effects of acceleration or deceleration.

4. How does the power method work?

The power method calculates tractive force by dividing the power output of the object (such as an engine) by its velocity. This method takes into account the speed of the object and can be used to calculate tractive force at different speeds.

5. What are some practical applications of calculating tractive force?

Calculating tractive force is useful in various fields, such as transportation, engineering, and physics. It can be used to determine the power needed for a vehicle to move on different surfaces, to optimize the design of machines, and to understand the forces involved in motion.