Calculating Train Deceleration: Kid's Free Fall Time

In summary, the boy falls off the train due to the deceleration, and will land on the floor in 0.8 seconds.
ejacques
Homework Statement
when a high-speed train suddenly begins to decelerate at -5 (m/s^2), a kid sleeping on the upper bunk 3 meter above the floor falls off. where does he land?
Relevant Equations
y=-0.5*g*t^2
I think, since the train is decelerate the kid will fall off at free falling. the time for that is:
y=0.5*9.8*t2 ⇒ t=√(2*y/g)=√(2*3/9.8)=0.8sec.

Now i think i need to find what is the distance the train is doing in this time, but i can't figure this out.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about writing equations for the positions of the kid and the train as a function of time? Take t = 0 when the deceleration starts. Unless the kid falls out an open window, it should land on the floor. The question is how far horizontally from the bed.

Work in a frame in which the train is stationary. The kid is then initially at rest at [itex](x,y) = (0,3)[/itex]; how does that change when the train starts to decelerate?

Or you can work in an inertial frame in which the train accelerates to the left from rest at [itex]5\, \mathrm{m}\,\mathrm{s}^{-2}.[/itex]

I still don't get how i can find the train initial velocity, it looks like i need it for the position equ. x(t) of the kid.
why i can work in a frame where the train is stationary?

If i do assume the initial velocity is 0 i do get the answer of 1.5 meters which is the answer given.
again, i don't get why this assumption is valid.

ejacques said:
I still don't get how i can find the train initial velocity, it looks like i need it for the position equ. x(t) of the kid.

If i do assume the initial velocity is 0 i do get the answer of 1.5 meters which is the answer given.
So, run the equations with an unknown initial velocity ##u## for both train and kid, and see what happens.

ejacques said:

@pasmith gave you two approaches: a non inertial frame in which the train is stationary, or an inertial frame in which the train is initially stationary.

The second may be easier to understand. Imagine you are driving along next to the train at the same velocity. The decelerates but you don't.
You see the boy as falling vertically as the train accelerates backwards. This shows the initial velocity of the train is not relevant.

In the frame of the decelerating train, objects behave as though there is a kind of horizontal gravity in the forward direction. The train is stationary despite the frictional force. The boy will accelerate horizontally at 5m/s2 (as well as vertically).

Of course, you could also work in the ground frame, putting the initial velocity of the train as an unknown. In the ensuing algebra, that unknown will cancel out.

1. How is train deceleration calculated?

Train deceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it takes for the train to come to a complete stop. This can be represented by the formula: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the deceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time.

2. What factors affect train deceleration?

There are several factors that can affect train deceleration, including the weight and speed of the train, the type and condition of the brakes, and the surface of the track. Other external factors such as weather conditions and incline of the track can also play a role in train deceleration.

3. How does train deceleration impact a child's free fall time?

The deceleration of a train can greatly impact a child's free fall time. If the train is decelerating quickly, the child's free fall time will be shorter as they will reach the ground sooner. On the other hand, if the train is decelerating slowly, the child's free fall time will be longer as they will take more time to reach the ground.

4. What is the average train deceleration rate?

The average train deceleration rate can vary depending on the type of train and its speed, but it is typically between 0.5-1.2 meters per second squared. This means that for every second the train is decelerating, its speed decreases by 0.5-1.2 meters per second.

5. How can train deceleration be measured?

Train deceleration can be measured using various methods, such as using accelerometers or strain gauges on the train to measure the change in velocity and time. Another method is to use video footage and measure the distance the train travels while decelerating. Additionally, train operators can also use braking systems that have built-in sensors to measure deceleration.