Calculating Velocity Change in a Moving Charge-Magnet Interaction

In summary, after the charged particle fly over and away from the magnet, its velocity vector is ##\vec Vc##. The angle is ##|\vec V;\vec Vc|=45°##.
HotFurnace

Homework Statement

A magnet is moving with constant velocity vector ##\vec V##. A charged particle fly through it. At first, the objects are place very far from each other, and the charged particle velocity vector is ##\vec V0##, after the charged particle cross over and fly away from the magnet, it velocity vector is ##\vec Vc##. We know all the velocity ##\vec V0=110m/s## and ##\vec Vc=134m/s##. The angles are ##|\vec V;\vec V0|=120°## and ##|\vec V;\vec Vc|=45°##. Find ##|\vec V|##
Note: Assume that the charged particle do not affect the motion and magnetic properties of the magnet.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
It must be some kind of momentum and angular momentum conservation, since we have no information about the magnetic field created by the magnet and the charge of the charged particles, nor do it mass. I assume a elastic collision between the charged particle and the magnet, but that do not hold since we cannot explain the velocity change in the direction perpendicular to ##\vec V##. I have no idea how to apply angular momentum conservation.

Physics news on Phys.org
HotFurnace said:
I have no idea how to apply angular momentum conservation.
What makes you think angular momentum is conserved?

There is, however, one conservation law that does apply. If we were in the rest frame of the magnet, how would the velocity of the particle change?

Likes HotFurnace
I don't know, but if only momentum is conserved, then how would the velocity of the charged particle change in the direction perpendicular to ##\vec V##?? And from what I know, if a magnet is moving, it will generate a magnetic field and a electric field (note there's no relativity involved, this is a classical problem). If we consider the effect of the magnetic field then we would need to conserve angular momentum.
I just tried to do so, but I didn't realize anything special, more hint is needed.

Momentum is not conserved.

HotFurnace said:
And from what I know, if a magnet is moving, it will generate a magnetic field and a electric field (note there's no relativity involved, this is a classical problem).
This is why I asked you about the rest frame of the magnet!

HotFurnace said:
If we consider the effect of the magnetic field then we would need to conserve angular momentum.
Why?

Likes HotFurnace
Yes, momentum is not conserved, what i mean with post #1 and #3 is that we can consider the interaction between the particles as an elastic collision, imagine a mass with velocity v collide with a moving wall with velocity u, the wall will just be moving on with u and the ball would return with velocity v+2u. This is not conservation after all, but that's what i mean. Sorry if i confused you.
I don't know why i think i need to conserve angular momentum , but after solving lots of problem related to charge moving in magnetic field, i had the feeling so. I'm still in high school and preparing for the National Physics Olympiad.
Maybe this is what you want to say, you wanted me to take the frame of the magnet so that the electric field generated by the magnet is zero. In this case then the charged particle energy is conserved. Maybe I got what you mean, let's try again.

HotFurnace said:
is that we can consider the interaction between the particles as an elastic collision,
If by "particles" you mean the particle and the magnet, then no. If you send the magnet mass to infinity, then yes.

HotFurnace said:
Maybe this is what you want to say, you wanted me to take the frame of the magnet so that the electric field generated by the magnet is zero. In this case then the charged particle energy is conserved.
Right, because the magnetic force (and hence the acceleration) is perpendicular to the velocity of the particle. How do you express the velocity of the particle in the rest frame of the magnet in terms of the velocities of the particle and magnet in the lab frame?

Likes HotFurnace
I solved it yesterday, but had to sleep and take class. The key information is that energy is conserved in the magnet frame, so a little trigonometry will do the job: $$Vc^2+V^2+2Vc*V*cos(180-45)=Vo^2+V^2+2Vo*V*cos(180-120)$$, solve it for V we will get the answer $$V=19.55m/s$$
Thanks a lot for your help!

Great that you solved it. On a LaTeX note: Instead of writing Vc or Vo to get ##Vc## or ##Vo##, you can write V_c or V_0 to obtain ##V_c## or ##V_0##. Things will become much easier to read.

1. How does a moving charge interact with a magnet?

When a moving charge, such as an electron, passes through a magnetic field, it experiences a force perpendicular to both the direction of motion and the magnetic field. This force is known as the Lorentz force and is responsible for the motion of charged particles in a magnetic field.

2. Why does a moving charge experience a force in a magnetic field?

This force is due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the electric field created by the moving charge. The magnetic field exerts a force on the electric field, causing the charge to experience a force.

3. What is the direction of the force on a moving charge in a magnetic field?

The direction of the force on a moving charge is perpendicular to both the direction of motion and the magnetic field. The direction of the force can be determined using the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of motion, the index finger points in the direction of the magnetic field, and the middle finger points in the direction of the force.

4. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the force on a moving charge?

The strength of the magnetic field has a direct influence on the force experienced by a moving charge. A stronger magnetic field will result in a greater force on the charge, while a weaker magnetic field will result in a smaller force.

5. What is the relationship between the velocity of the charge and the force in a magnetic field?

The force experienced by a moving charge in a magnetic field is directly proportional to the velocity of the charge. This means that as the velocity of the charge increases, the force it experiences will also increase. However, the force is also dependent on the strength of the magnetic field, so a stronger field can still result in a greater force on a slower moving charge.