Calculating velocity of steam through orifice

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating the velocity of steam passing through an orifice in a 100mm diameter pipe. The pressure downstream of the valve is not atmospheric and the length of the pipe downstream of the orifice can affect the results. The RO is meant to cause a pressure drop, resulting in increased velocity downstream. The velocity downstream is not constant and will change depending on the pressure. The conversation suggests using nozzle flow equations and consulting resources such as CRANE technical paper and API Part 1/2 for more information.
tobitronics
Hi all,

First time poster here and I'm stuck with what for me seems to be a simple problem. The situation is this:

I have a 100mm diameter pipe connected to a steam kettle, which produces steam at a constant 0.3barG. This pipe is split up into 4 50mm pipes, each pipe has a valve at the end that can be opened and closed and an orifice downstream with a diameter of 37mm. The pressure after the valve is atmospheric (0 barG). The manufacturer has given me a figure of consumption of steam per hour, although I do not know under which conditions this number is calculated. The steam passing through has a temperature of 108C, which corresponds to the pressure.

I want to calculate the velocity of the steam when its passing through the orifice (and the velocity when no orifice is applied). I know it has something to do with bernoulli's law and I tried using the calculators at TLV.com, however I seem to get contradictory answers.

F.e. when I calculate the flow rate through the orifice and use that number to calculate the velocity through the pipe (flow rate is constant throughout the pipe?) I get results which would indicate that not using an orifice increases the velocity, which (of course?) is not true.

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

The pressure downstream of your valve will not be atmospheric. As the RO is there to restrict the flow the pressure upstream will be 0.3 barg.

The flow through the orifice can be calculated using nozzle flow equations (See CRANE technical paper)

The length of line downstream of your RO also would affect the result. How much pipe is downstream of the RO? If you have a long length of line you should do a line sizing calculation applying a K factor for your RO.

The RO is there to cause a pressure drop, so the velocity downstream will certainly be greater. The max velocity through the RO will be at the vena contracta.

The velocity downstream of the RO will also not be constant. It will change depending on the pressure. The pressure at the discharge of the piping will be either atmospheric if the flow is not choked, or greater than atmospheric if the flow is choking. Either way the pressure will be greatest at the RO discharge and reduce along the pipe i.e the velocity will not be linear. It will increase along the discharge line.

Check out API Part 1/2 and Crane.

What was your method for calculating the velocity?

What is the formula for calculating velocity of steam through an orifice?

The formula for calculating the velocity of steam through an orifice is V = C * √(2 * ΔP / ρ), where V is the velocity, C is the discharge coefficient, ΔP is the pressure drop across the orifice, and ρ is the density of the steam.

What is the discharge coefficient and how is it determined?

The discharge coefficient is a dimensionless factor that accounts for the effects of the orifice shape and size on the flow of steam. It is determined experimentally and can vary depending on the type and size of the orifice.

How does the temperature and pressure of the steam affect the velocity through the orifice?

The temperature and pressure of the steam have a direct impact on its density, which is a key factor in the velocity calculation. As the temperature and pressure increase, the steam becomes less dense, resulting in a higher velocity through the orifice.

What is the significance of calculating the velocity of steam through an orifice?

Calculating the velocity of steam through an orifice is important for various engineering applications, such as steam turbines, boilers, and heat exchangers. It helps in determining the flow rate and ensuring efficient and safe operation of these systems.

Are there any limitations to using the velocity formula for steam flow through an orifice?

Yes, there are some limitations. The formula assumes steady-state, ideal conditions and does not take into account any potential changes in steam properties, such as condensation or superheating. It is also important to note that the formula may not be accurate for very large pressure drops or very small orifice sizes.