Calculating Velocity Using Spring Force and Energy Conservation

In summary: Good, give it a try using the energy method, it'll save you a lot of heartache, I would think. Just don't confuse the conservation of mechanical energy equation (delta K + delta U = 0) with the conservation of total energy equation (delta K + delta U = work done by non conservative forces). Use the latter.In summary, the problem involves a block being subjected to a force of 500N and determining its velocity at a specific position. The block is at rest when the position is 0 and the spring is uncompressed. The contact surface is smooth and the spring is placed between the wall and a 6kg block. The solution involves using Newton's law and the kinematic equations or using conservation of
driven4rhythm

Homework Statement

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/8177/f141.jpg http://g.imageshack.us/img682/f141.jpg/1/
If the block is subjected to a force of = 500 , determine its velocity when = 0.6 . When = 0, the block is at rest and the spring is uncompressed. The contact surface is smooth. The spring is placed between the wall and the 6-block.

Homework Equations

Unsure

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted F to F along x-axis and it's equal to 400N. I took the integral of F=k*ds from 0 to .6 and got 300N in the negative x direction. I know that as s changes the force does and thus the acceleration is different all the time. I just can't figure out what to do with the spring force.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Recall that Newton's law actually says,

ma = The sum of the forces. Therefore you need to start with

[tex] m\frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = 400 - kx [/tex]

driven4rhythm said:

Homework Statement

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/8177/f141.jpg http://g.imageshack.us/img682/f141.jpg/1/
If the block is subjected to a force of = 500 N, determine its velocity when s = 0.6 m . When s = 0, the block is at rest and the spring is uncompressed. The contact surface is smooth. The spring is placed between the wall and the 6 kg block.

Homework Equations

Unsure

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted F to F along x-axis and it's equal to 400N. I took the integral of F=k*ds from 0 to .6 and got 300N in the negative x direction. I know that as s changes the force does and thus the acceleration is different all the time. I just can't figure out what to do with the spring force.
See my notes above in red. They are my assumtions, since you left out the units. You are going to get into some difficulty by using your method, because the spring force is a variable force. You can still determine it as an average force ( ks/2), and use Newton's laws and the kinemaric equations to solve for v, but it's easier to use conservation of total energy, if you are familiar with it . Are you?

Last edited by a moderator:
PhanthomJay said:
See my notes above in red. They are my assumtions, since you left out the units. You are going to get into some difficulty by using your method, because the spring force is a variable force. You can still determine it as an average force ( ks/2), and use Newton's laws and the kinemaric equations to solve for v, but it's easier to use conservation of total energy, if you are familiar with it . Are you?

Sorry I didn't realize when I copied the problem over that the numbers and such were pictures and not text. Yes, I am familiar with conservation of energy.

driven4rhythm said:
Sorry I didn't realize when I copied the problem over that the numbers and such were pictures and not text. Yes, I am familiar with conservation of energy.
Good, give it a try using the energy method, it'll save you a lot of heartache, I would think. Just don't confuse the conservation of mechanical energy equation (delta K + delta U = 0) with the conservation of total energy equation (delta K + delta U = work done by non conservative forces). Use the latter.

Last edited:

What is spring force?

Spring force is a force that is exerted by a spring when it is stretched or compressed. It is a restorative force that tries to bring the spring back to its original length.

How is spring force calculated?

Spring force is calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This can be represented by the equation F = -kx, where F is the spring force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position.

What is the relationship between spring force and velocity?

Spring force and velocity have an inverse relationship. This means that as the velocity of an object attached to a spring increases, the spring force decreases. Similarly, as the velocity decreases, the spring force increases.

Can spring force be used to calculate acceleration?

Yes, spring force can be used to calculate acceleration by using Newton's Second Law, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be represented by the equation a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the net force, and m is the mass of the object.

How does spring force affect the motion of an object?

Spring force can affect the motion of an object by either speeding it up or slowing it down, depending on the direction of the force. If the spring force is in the same direction as the object's motion, it will speed up the object. If the spring force is in the opposite direction, it will slow down the object. Additionally, spring force can also cause oscillatory motion in an object attached to a spring.