Calculating Voltage and Farads for Efficient Rail Gun Launch

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rail gun launching a projectile a set distance with a specific weight. The question asks for the necessary volts and farads to achieve this. The attempt at a solution involves using Lorentz Law and converting force to volts. However, the problem and solution are considered vague and the conversation is closed due to the dangerous nature of rail guns.
RED119
Discussion of the design and/or manufacture of dangerous equipment is not permitted. Thread closed.

Homework Statement

So the problem says a rail gun needs to launch a projectile having the set distance of of roughly 6.3m (this isn't a straight shot, its more of a parabolic arc) and it needs to move an object of weighing about 6.52g. So it asks Volts and Farads you would need to get this thing cooking... I am probably wrong but don't most electrical calculations assume perfect transfer of energy and electricity? So I don't know how to get a precise answer...

Homework Equations

Lorentz Law, equation for force

The Attempt at a Solution

If I were to guess at this I would say 6.3 times 6.52, as per Lorentz Law... getting me roughly 41.076... then i took this and converted the force to volts, to get around 241.67V...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi RED119 and welcome to PF. Your statement of the problem, equations and attempt at a solution are quite vague. If you are not more specific, we may not be able to offer you help.

kuruman said:
Hi RED119 and welcome to PF. Your statement of the problem, equations and attempt at a solution are quite vague. If you are not more specific, we may not be able to offer you help.
I get how my attempt at an answer it vague... since I am really confused about how to get it... but how is the statement of the problem vague at all?

Dangerous discussions (rail guns) are not permitted here. This thread is closed.

1. What is the relationship between force and voltage?

The relationship between force and voltage is a direct one, meaning that as force increases, voltage also increases. This relationship is known as the force-voltage relationship.

2. How is force converted to voltage in a force sensor?

Force sensors use a variety of methods to convert force into voltage, such as strain gauges, piezoelectric materials, and capacitive sensors. These methods involve measuring the change in resistance, deformation, or capacitance caused by the force applied.

3. Can force and voltage be measured simultaneously?

Yes, force and voltage can be measured simultaneously using a force sensor that is also equipped with a voltage output. This allows for real-time monitoring of the force and its corresponding voltage output.

4. What units are used to measure force and voltage?

Force is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs), while voltage is measured in units of Volts (V). These units are commonly used in scientific and engineering contexts.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the force-voltage relationship?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the force-voltage relationship, such as temperature, humidity, and the materials used in the force sensor. It is important to calibrate the sensor and account for these factors to ensure accurate measurements.