Calculating Volume of 0.835M Na2SO4 Solution (0.0534 mol Na+)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the volume of a 0.835 M solution of Na2SO4 based on the presence of 0.0534 mol of Na+ ions in the solution. After some initial confusion about the 1:1 ratio of Na2SO4 and Na+ ions, it is clarified that the ratio is actually 2:1. The final calculation is determined to be 6.40x10^-2L.
RJLiberator
Gold Member
Question: What volume of a 0.835 M solution of Na2SO4 do you have if there are 0.0534 mol of Na+ present in the solution?

What I did: Since we have 0.0534 moles of Na+ ions in the Na2SO4 molecule, I used that for the equation. Since 0.0534 moles is in a 1:1 ratio with Na2SO4 I can conclude we have 0.0534 moles of Na2SO4.

M = Moles/Volume
0.835M = 0.0534moles of Na2SO4/V
Solving, I get 6.40x10^-2L

Is my reasoning correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well that is the definition of molarity you used there... so you reasoned:

M=n/V => V=n/M plug numbers in.
No worries.

RJLiberator said:
Since 0.0534 moles is in a 1:1 ratio with Na2SO4 I can conclude we have 0.0534 moles of Na2SO4.

Can you? Is it really 1:1?

Ah, prior to my test I spoke with my professor and it appears that I can do no such thing. There is 2 Na ions and 1 So4 ions so it is actually a 2 to 1 ratio. I will work this out when I get home tonight. :)

Thank you.

I would say that your reasoning and calculations are correct. In order to calculate the volume of a solution, we use the equation M=moles/volume. In this case, we know the molarity (0.835M) and the number of moles of Na+ ions (0.0534 mol), so we can rearrange the equation to solve for volume. By substituting the values and solving, we get a volume of 6.40x10^-2 liters. This means that in 1 liter of the 0.835M Na2SO4 solution, there are 0.0534 moles of Na+ ions. Great job on your calculations!

1. What is the formula for calculating volume of a solution?

The formula for calculating volume of a solution is volume = number of moles / molarity.

2. How do you determine the number of moles in a solution?

To determine the number of moles in a solution, you can use the formula moles = molarity x volume.

3. What is the molarity of a solution?

Molarity is a measure of the concentration of a solution and is defined as the number of moles of solute per liter of solution. It is represented by the symbol M.

4. How do you calculate the molarity of a solution?

The molarity of a solution can be calculated by dividing the number of moles of solute by the volume of the solution in liters.

5. How do you convert between moles and liters?

To convert between moles and liters, you can use the formula liters = moles / molarity. This will give you the volume of the solution in liters.