Calculating Water Rocket Height from Hangtime | Formula and Explanation

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the height a water rocket reached using its hang time and vertical acceleration due to gravity. The initial velocity is needed to solve for the height, which can be found using the equation x=V0t+1/2at^2. The conversation also covers the importance of understanding the equations and assumptions being made in order to arrive at the correct answer.
Justin Murphy

Homework Statement

We are doing water rockets and I don't know how to calculate the height it went from it's hang time. It's total hang time was 7.35 seconds, and I know it's vertical acceleration was -9.8m/s^2 from gravity, and I'm assuming I need to first find out it's initial velocity, since I assumed the equation I would be using is x=V0t+1/2at^2

Homework Equations

x=V0t+1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how I got it, but a random calculation got me around 75ish meters, but I don't know what equations or variables I used (that was yesterday.)

Physics news on Phys.org
So if you ignore air resistance, then you can assume that half of the time is spent going up, and half of the time is spent going down.
Use this formula to find the initial vertical velocity: Vfinal = Vinitial + a*t. What will be Vfinal when the rocket is at the peak?

Likes Poetria
The final velocity at the peak would be zero. How would I switch around that equation to solve for the initial velocity?

I solved for Vinitial and got 14.3325m/s.
1. Is this correct?
and 2. does that mean it's total height is 232.75m? (I plugged it into the distance equation, and I'm no expert but this seems a little high)

Justin Murphy said:
I'm assuming I need to first find out it's initial velocity,
You don't. There are five standard SUVAT variables. Any four are linked by an equation, so there are five standard equations. You know time, acceleration and final (i.e. at highest point) velocity, and you want the distance. Pick the equation that involves those four.
Justin Murphy said:
solved for Vinitial and got 14.3325m/s.
Too low. Please post your working.
Justin Murphy said:
232.75m? (I plugged it into the distance equation, and I'm no expert but this seems a little high)
It is too high.

Ok, I asked someone in my physics class and they gave me the equation d=1/2at2 and when I plugged it all in I got about 66 meters. NOW is it correct?

Justin Murphy said:
Ok, I asked someone in my physics class and they gave me the equation d=1/2at2 and when I plugged it all in I got about 66 meters. NOW is it correct?
Before I answer that, explain why that equation is appropriate.

I'm not completely sure, but I know part of it is because I'm solving for distance, and part of it is because I have the variables to plug in. Our teacher gave us this equation in class, and I think I forgot to write it down because I couldn't find it in my notes, and then it turns out to be the one we use the most. From what I know, it's reduced from that first equation from my original post, and I actually had the right equation the first time, but I was just solving it the wrong way.

Justin Murphy said:
I'm not completely sure, but I know part of it is because I'm solving for distance, and part of it is because I have the variables to plug in. Our teacher gave us this equation in class...
This would be a good time to review notes or read the book (if your class uses one) or look at some videos on the subject. It is important that you understand what is going on, so you will understand which formula is applicable in the situation.

Thanks for the help

You could start here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equat...translational_acceleration_in_a_straight_line
You can memorize them all, but I only have the first two committed to memory, then derive the others, as needed. So yes, in my case I would first figure out v0, then go from there.

Also, make sure you are using the correct value for time. If you are looking at the time from start to the peak height, that is going to be less 7.35 seconds, if I understand that "hang time" refers to total time in the air. If you state assumptions (such as air resistance is negligible) then you should say that then say that you assume half the time to go up, and half to go down.

Yes, the hang time was the total flight from launch til it hit the ground, and I made sure to cut the time in half in the equation. My only problem is the amount of formulas, because I don't have very good memory recall, and I'm not the best at reworking base equations to suit my problem.

Justin Murphy said:
I solved for Vinitial and got 14.3325m/s...
OK let's start with that. The initial velocity is not 14.3 m/s. But can you show the steps that you took, to arrive at this. We will help you find your mistake, so you can get the correct answer.

Likes haruspex
Justin Murphy said:
it's reduced from that first equation from my original post,
Yes, but it's not a good idea to have a proliferation of equations to remember for special circumstances. Better just to stick with the standard five SUVAT equations and get used to applying them.
In the present case, the Relevant Equation in post #1 was exactly the one to use. The trick in applying it was to consider only the second half of the trajectory, as the object falls to ground from its highest point.

I also suggest you take up scottdave's offer to find where your calculations went wrong.

Part of my problem was when I used the total time instead of half the time.

1. How do you calculate the height of a water rocket from hangtime?

The formula for calculating the height of a water rocket from hangtime is: height = 1/2 x acceleration due to gravity x hangtime^2. This formula takes into account the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 m/s^2, and the hangtime, which is the amount of time the rocket spends in the air.

2. Can you explain the formula in more detail?

The formula for calculating the height of a water rocket from hangtime is based on the equation for calculating displacement, which is: displacement = initial velocity x time + 1/2 x acceleration x time^2. In this case, the initial velocity is assumed to be 0, since the rocket starts from rest. So, the formula simplifies to: displacement = 1/2 x acceleration x time^2, which is the same as the formula mentioned in the previous question.

3. What is hangtime and how is it measured?

Hangtime is the amount of time that a water rocket spends in the air after being launched. It is measured by using a stopwatch or a timer to record the time between the launch and the moment the rocket touches the ground.

4. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated height?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated height. These include air resistance, wind speed, launch angle, and the quality of the rocket construction. To get a more accurate result, it is important to minimize these factors as much as possible.

5. Can this formula be used for any type of water rocket?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of water rocket as long as the initial velocity is assumed to be 0 and the acceleration due to gravity is constant. However, the accuracy of the result may vary depending on the design and construction of the rocket.