Calculating Weld Sizes for Staircase Attachments

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating weld sizes for a 1.2m wide staircase with 6 stairs attached to two angular beams. The individual steps have dimensions of 285mm x 10mm and are subjected to a load of 2.2kN/m. The person is using Blodgett's method to determine the weld size, but they are unsure if this method is suitable for a pinned-end beam. They have attempted to consider forces due to shear and bending, but are unsure if this is correct. The conversation also mentions that in reality, a solid weld would be used instead of calculating the weld size. The conversation ends with a question about the meaning of a "solid weld all around" and a
peleus
Hi all,

I'm trying to learn to do some basic calculations for welding, and I've been given the task in regards to finding out the weld sizes required for the loads being applied.

I've got a 1.2m wide staircase, with 6 stairs, attaching to two angular beams on the outside. They will be welded around the entire outside, with the dimensions of each step being 285mm x 10mm. I'm modelling a 2.2kN/m load across each step.

I've been trying to use Blodgett's method, treating the weld as a line in the hope of getting a weld size. The problem I'm having is I believe that Blodgett's method and outlines provided in many textbooks are based off a cantilevered load, where as I've got a pinned end on both sides, creating a statically intedeterminate beam.

My attempts so far have been including forces due to shear and bending, which I believe is incorrect considering my fixture's being considered. If I do a bending moment diagram & shear force diagram based off a fixed / roller support scenario then I'd get a shear force of 1.32kN, and a moment of 0 at each end.

Following that, the area of the line would be = 0.02 + 0.57 = 0.59

So force due to shear on each weld would be 1320 / 0.59 = 2237N.

Based of this, and an allowable stress of 140 MPa, it would result in throat thickness of 0.0159 mm, or a "0.023" weld. Clearly this looks way off.

If someone could run me through what I'm doing wrong, and the correct way to model this and calculate the weld, it would be greatly appreciated. Especially if I need to treat it as a fixed - fixed and finding out if forces such as a bending moment applies.

Also, I'll point out that in reality you most likely wouldn't do this type of calculation for this structure, and just do a solid weld all round - but as with everything it's the learning process of how to do it rather than simply the answer.

Thanks all for your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
peleus: What do you mean in your last paragraph where you said, "and would just do a solid weld all around"?

Assume your step is a fixed-fixed beam. Compute the end moments and shear force, and apply this to the weld.

1. What is the purpose of welding calculations for stairs?

Welding calculations for stairs are necessary to determine the strength and stability of the structure. These calculations help ensure that the stairs can safely support the weight of individuals and any potential added weight from furniture or equipment.

2. How are the dimensions of the stairs factored into the welding calculations?

The dimensions of the stairs, including the height, width, and depth of each step, are used to calculate the load-bearing capacity of the stairs. This information is then used to determine the type and amount of welding needed to secure the stairs.

3. What factors are considered when determining the type of welding for stairs?

Some of the factors that are considered when determining the type of welding for stairs include the material of the stairs, the expected load-bearing capacity, and the environment where the stairs will be located. Different types of welding may be more suitable for different materials or environments.

4. How are safety considerations addressed in welding calculations for stairs?

Safety is a crucial factor in welding calculations for stairs. Engineers and welders must ensure that the stairs can support the expected weight without compromising the structural integrity. They must also follow safety protocols and use appropriate welding techniques to prevent accidents and ensure the stability of the stairs.

5. Are there any specific codes or standards that must be followed for welding calculations for stairs?

Yes, there are several codes and standards that must be followed when performing welding calculations for stairs. These may vary depending on the location and type of project, but common codes and standards include the American Welding Society (AWS) D1.1 Structural Welding Code, the International Building Code (IBC), and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations.