Welding shear and normal stress calculations

In summary, to compute the shear and normal stresses in your case of a simply supported beam reinforced by a plate with an applied load of 15 kN, you will need to calculate the bending moment and shear force, determine the centroid and first moment of area of the weld, and use the equations for shear and normal stress to calculate the stresses in the weld. The material of the beam and plate is S355 and the welding size is a=10mm. Attached files may also provide additional information.
Polar Bear
Hello,

Does anybody know how to compute shear and normal stresses which take place due to applied load?

My case is a simply supported beam (120x120x6.5 length: 4.2m) reinforced by a plate (20x120 length: 2m). Plate is welded on a top of a beam and external force (F=15 kN) is applied to the beam. Welding size is a=10mm. How to compute weld's shear and normal stresses?

Beam and plate material is S355.

Please, take a look at attached files.
Regards,

Sergey

Attachments

• beam plate.png
    beam plate.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 410
  • front view.png
    front view.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 396
Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello Sergey,

To compute the shear and normal stresses in your case, you will need to use the equations for shear and normal stress in a beam.

First, you will need to calculate the bending moment at the location of the weld using the applied load and the beam's properties (length, width, and thickness). This can be done using the formula M = FL/4, where M is the bending moment, F is the applied load, and L is the length of the beam.

Next, you will need to calculate the shear force at the location of the weld. This can be done using the formula V = F/2, where V is the shear force and F is the applied load.

Once you have calculated the bending moment and shear force, you can use the equations for shear and normal stress in a beam to determine the stresses in the weld. The equation for shear stress is τ = VQ/Ib, where τ is the shear stress, V is the shear force, Q is the first moment of area, I is the second moment of area, and b is the width of the beam. The equation for normal stress is σ = My/I, where σ is the normal stress, M is the bending moment, y is the distance from the neutral axis, and I is the second moment of area.

To calculate the first moment of area, you will need to determine the centroid of the weld. This can be done by dividing the weld into smaller sections and calculating the centroid for each section, then taking the weighted average of the centroids to determine the overall centroid. Once you have the centroid, you can calculate the first moment of area using the formula Q = A(y-y_c), where A is the area of the weld, y is the distance from the neutral axis, and y_c is the distance from the centroid to the neutral axis.

Finally, plug in all the values into the equations for shear and normal stress to calculate the stresses in the weld. Make sure to use consistent units throughout the calculations.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is welding shear stress?

Welding shear stress is the stress that occurs in the weld area due to the applied load. It is the force per unit area that acts parallel to the plane of the weld, causing the two pieces of metal to slide against each other.

2. How is welding shear stress calculated?

Welding shear stress can be calculated by dividing the applied load by the cross-sectional area of the weld. The result is typically in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or Newtons per square meter (N/m^2).

3. What factors affect welding shear stress?

There are several factors that can affect welding shear stress, including the type of welding process, the type of material being welded, the welding parameters (such as heat input and travel speed), and the geometry and design of the welded joint.

4. What is normal stress in welding?

Normal stress in welding is the stress that occurs perpendicular to the plane of the weld. It is caused by the applied load and is typically calculated in the same way as shear stress, by dividing the force by the cross-sectional area of the weld.

5. How can welding shear and normal stress be reduced?

Welding shear and normal stress can be reduced by using proper welding techniques, such as controlling heat input and using the correct welding parameters for the materials being joined. Proper design of the welded joint, including the use of reinforcement and fillet welds, can also help distribute the stress and prevent failure.