Calculating Work Done by a Batter on a Baseball

• Thread starter darkley
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, there was a discussion about the amount of work done by a batter when hitting a baseball into the outfield. After using the formula for kinetic energy and substituting the given values, it was determined that the work done was 187.5 joules. There was a discrepancy with the teacher's explanation, but it was agreed that the original method was correct.
darkley

Homework Statement

A baseball with a mass of 1kg is thrown with a velocity of -5 m/s. A batter hits the baseball and sends the ball into the outfield with a velocity of 20 m/s. What is the amount of work done by the batter?

Homework Equations

[tex]
W = \Delta KE = KE_{f} - KE_{i}
[/tex]
[tex]
KE = \frac{1}{2} m v^2
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

After substituting the values into the formula for kinetic energy, I determined that the final kinetic energy of the baseball is 200 joules and the initial kinetic of the ball is 12.5 joules. Would I then simply subtract 12.5 joules from 200 joules to arrive at my final answer?
My teacher insists that the two values need to be added in order to arrive at the work done, and he tells me that even though the work done to change the ball's velocity from -5 m/s to 0 m/s is negative, the magnitudes of the values need to be added to find the total work. Could anybody shed some light on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's hard to argue successfully with a teacher.

However, you are correct! Your analysis spot-on (absolutely right).

Work is a scalar property.

Sam Snyder, PhD in physics, if that helps convince him.

I think your teacher is confusing work with impulse.

Your method is totally fine.

Thank you all for your help!

1. What is work and kinetic energy?

Work and kinetic energy are two concepts that are closely related in physics. Work is defined as the transfer of energy that results in an object's displacement. Kinetic energy, on the other hand, is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

2. What is the formula for calculating work?

The formula for calculating work is W = F * d, where W is work, F is the force applied, and d is the displacement of the object in the direction of the force. This formula applies only when the force and displacement are in the same direction.

3. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity of the object. This formula shows that the kinetic energy of an object depends on its mass and the square of its velocity.

4. What is the relationship between work and kinetic energy?

The relationship between work and kinetic energy is that work is the transfer of energy that results in an object's change in kinetic energy. In other words, work done on an object will change its kinetic energy.

5. What are the units of work and kinetic energy?

The units of work are joules (J) in the SI system and foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the US system. The units of kinetic energy are also joules (J) in the SI system and foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the US system.