Calculating Work Done for Constant Force Acting on an Object in Space

In summary, the problem statement is asking for the work done when a force is acting in line of motion with an object. The given/known variables are the force, the object's location (0,0,0), and the distance (2,4,5). The problem is that the work done is not always calculated in the same way, depending on what information is given.
yazz912
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known

A constant Force= <2,4,1> (in Newtons) moves an object in space from (0,0,0) to (2,4,5) ( distance is measured in meters) Calculate the Work done. 2. Homework Equations

W= || proj of F onto pq|| ||PQ||

W= F• vector PQ 3. The Attempt at a Solution
Well I'm guessing for starters I'd have to make a vector component from (0,0,0) to (2,4,5)
So I know PQ would be =< 2,4,5>

I am stuck on what my next step would be. W= F•d when the force is acting in line of motion with the object. But that is not the case.

Physics news on Phys.org
yazz912 said:
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known

A constant Force= <2,4,1> (in Newtons) moves an object in space from (0,0,0) to (2,4,5) ( distance is measured in meters) Calculate the Work done.

2. Homework Equations

W= || proj of F onto pq|| ||PQ||

W= F• vector PQ

3. The Attempt at a Solution
Well I'm guessing for starters I'd have to make a vector component from (0,0,0) to (2,4,5)
So I know PQ would be =< 2,4,5>

I am stuck on what my next step would be. W= F•d when the force is acting in line of motion with the object. But that is not the case.

The way you have written it is correct, whether or not W acts along d (assuming that W and d are both vectors).

So if I have two different vectors being displacement and force.
I dot them to calculate work? Would it really be that simple?

yazz912 said:
So if I have two different vectors being displacement and force.
I dot them to calculate work? Would it really be that simple?

Yup. That's what your textbook will tell you.

Wow. I really assumed i needed to do more "work" to solve it. ;)

Therefore W should = 25 Nm

Would I not have to find || PQ|| and ||F|| and then dot?

yazz912 said:
Would I not have to find || PQ|| and ||F|| and then dot?

Why would you do that? How would you compute the dot product if you could do that? Would you not need the angle between the two vectors? How would you get that?

I am amazed that you are even asking the question---you are taking something simple and making it hard.

I guess I probably over think the problem, considering this is part of my take home test I assume it isn't going to be as easy as it seems..

Reason I asked was bc on all my notes and in the book it shows W= ||F|| ||PQ||

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1393549090.016556.jpg

(just got up :zzz:)

both formulas are correct (and give the same result)

which you use depends on what information you're given

in this case, you're given the coordinates, so it's easier to use b1c1 + b2c2 + b3c3

but if instead you were given the magnitudes and the directions, it would be easier to use ||b|| ||c|| cosθ :smile:

tiny-tim said:
(just got up :zzz:)
both formulas are correct (and give the same result)
which you use depends on what information you're given
in this case, you're given the coordinates, so it's easier to use b1c1 + b2c2 + b3c3
but if instead you were given the magnitudes and the directions, it would be easier to use ||b|| ||c|| cosθ :smile:
Ohhh ok that answers my question thank you so much tiny-tim! more or so for not making me feel like an idiot for asking that last question lol :)

Related to Calculating Work Done for Constant Force Acting on an Object in Space

1. How do you calculate work done for a constant force acting on an object in space?

The work done for a constant force acting on an object in space is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

2. What is the unit of measurement for work done in space?

The unit of measurement for work done in space is the joule (J). This is the same unit used to measure work done on Earth.

3. Can work be negative in space?

Yes, work can be negative in space. This occurs when the force and the displacement of the object are in opposite directions. In this case, the work done is considered to be negative, indicating that the force is doing work against the motion of the object.

4. How does gravity affect work done in space?

Gravity can affect the work done in space if the object is moving in a gravitational field. In this case, the work done would be equal to the force of gravity multiplied by the vertical displacement of the object.

5. Is the work done on an object in space equal to its kinetic energy?

No, the work done on an object in space is not necessarily equal to its kinetic energy. Work done is a measure of the energy transferred to an object, while kinetic energy is a measure of the object's motion. They may be equal in some situations, but not always.