Calculating Work Done for Decomposition of 2 moles NH4NO3 at 100°C

In summary: Just ignore it and use Vfinal as ΔV.In summary, to calculate the work done for the decomposition of 2 moles of NH4NO3 at 100 degrees C, we use the formula work done= - RT delta n, where R is the universal gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and delta n is the difference in the number of moles of products and reactants. The volume of the solid can be ignored as it is significantly smaller than the volume of gases produced. Therefore, the final volume can be used as ΔV in the formula. However, if the pressure is very high or the temperature is very low, this approximation may not be accurate.
gracy

Homework Statement

Decomposition of 2 moles of NH4NO3 at 100 degrees C.calculate work done

Homework Equations

NH4NO3 (s)→N2O(g)+2H2O (g)
work done= - RT delta n here R=universal gas constant T=temperature in kelvin and
delta n=difference in number of moles of products and reactants.

The Attempt at a Solution

-I pluged in the values in formula work done= - RT delta n
=- 8.314j per kelvin per mol×373 kelvin ×3 mol
=- 9303.366 j
I took delta n =3 because i think delta number of moles in solid phase is taken as zero.Even if i don't number of moles in solid phase =0 rather I Take number of moles in solid phase = 1, I will get delta n =2 and then

work done= - RT delta n
=- 8.314 j per kelvin per mol ×373 kelvin ×2 mol
=- 6202.244 j
But according to my textbook answer should be - 18.61kj
please help.
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
gracy said:
work done= - RT delta n
=- 8.314j per kelvin per mol×373 kelvin ×3 mol
=- 9303.366 j

That's per decomposition of one mole of the nitrate. Now reread the question.

We ignore the initial volume of the solid as typically STP it is orders of magnitude smaller than the volume of gases produced (in the case of NH4NO3 it will be around 47 mL vs 66 L). It is often a good approximation, but not always.

Question is poorly written. 100°C doesn't guarantee water is in the gaseous form, for that pressure must be lower than 1 atm.

Likes gracy
can you please tell me why number of moles in solid phase is taken as zero?[/QUOTE]

I already did - that's because we can ignore its volume.

Work done is not RTΔn, but PΔV. From the ideal gas equation we know PV=nRT, so the volume of the gas produced is V=ΔnRT/P. In general ΔV is not just the volume of the gas produced, actually it is Vfinal-Vinitial. In the decomposition of ammonium nitrate, initial volume is that of a solid - around 47 mL per two moles (assuming density of the solid to be 1.7 g/mL). Final volume is orders of magnitude higher (measured in tens of liters), so we just ignore initial volume of the solid, as it is thousand times lower

In other words, as Vfinal >> Vinitial, Vfinal-Vinitial ≈ Vfinal.

Likes gracy
Borek said:
Work done is not RTΔn, but PΔV
In my textbook Work done is given as RTΔn.I think it is like this pv=nRT and work done=p delta v so at constant temperature and pressure p delta v=delta n RT so work done=delta n RT.I want to ask can we take change in volume of solid=final volume in every case?

Last edited:
gracy said:
In my textbook Work done is given as RTΔn.I think it is like this pv=nRT and work done=p delta v so at constant temperature and pressure p delta v=delta n RT so work done=delta n RT.

Yes, that's what I wrote.

I want to ask can we take change in volume of solid=final volume in every case?

No idea what you mean. Volume of solid is not a final volume, I never stated anything like that. Please reread my explanation, I think I addressed what is going on quite clearly.

Likes gracy
Borek said:
Yes, that's what I wrote.
No idea what you mean. Volume of solid is not a final volume, I never stated anything like that. Please reread my explanation, I think I addressed what is going on quite clearly.
If we have reactant which is solid ,can we just ignore initial volume of the solid in every case, is it thousand times lower than final volume in everycase? so that Vfinal >> Vinitial, Vfinal-Vinitial ≈ Vfinal.l.

gracy said:
can we just ignore initial volume of the solid in every case

Depends on the pressure - the higher the pressure, the lower the gas volume. If the pressure is high enough gas volume can be so low condition V
final >> Vinitial is no longer meet.

Borek said:
Depends on the pressure - the higher the pressure, the lower the gas volume. If the pressure is high enough gas volume can be so low condition V
final >> Vinitial is no longer meet.
so can you please tell me range,i mean how much high the pressure should be so that Vfinal >> Vinitial is no longer meet?It will help me to solve problems.

In general, unless the conditions are somewhat exotic (very high pressures - hundreds of atm, very low temperatures - like -100°C), you don't have to worry about the initial solid volume.

Likes gracy

What is work done?

Work done is the measure of the amount of energy transferred by a force acting through a distance. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance over which the force is applied.

What is the formula for calculating work done?

The formula for calculating work done is W = F x d, where W is work done, F is the force applied, and d is the distance over which the force is applied.

What are the units for work done?

The units for work done are joules (J) in the International System of Units (SI). However, other units such as foot-pounds (ft-lb) and calories (cal) are also commonly used.

How is work done related to power?

Work done and power are related by the equation P = W/t, where P is power, W is work done, and t is time. Power is the rate at which work is done, or the amount of work done per unit time.

What are some real-life examples of work done?

Some real-life examples of work done include lifting a weight, pushing a car, and moving furniture. Work is also done when a person walks, runs, or climbs stairs. In addition, work is done when a machine performs tasks such as cutting, digging, or lifting heavy objects.