Calculate the work in Joules by the Acetylene gas

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the reaction of 4.50 g of CaC2 with water at atmospheric pressure and 298K. The goal is to calculate the work done by the acetylene gas against the atmospheric pressure using the work formula for an isothermic gas expansion. However, the student is unsure of what volume to use in the formula. The conversation concludes with the clarification that the correct formula to use is w= -nRT ln(P2/P1) and not w= -nRT ln(V2/V1).
ThymeSeer

Homework Statement

A quantity of 4.50 g CaC2 is reacted with an excess of water at 298K and atmospheric pressure.
CaC2 (s) + 2 H2O (l) --> Ca(OH)2 (aq) + C2H2 (g)
Calculate the work done in Joules by the Acetylene gas against the atmospheric pressure.[/B]

Homework Equations

After asking my PChem professor, he said the I should use the work formula for an isothermic gas expansion, w= -nRT ln(V2/V1)
also for an isothermic expansion, q=-w[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

P= 1 atm, n= 0.0702 mol R= 8.314 J/mol*K
I easily found the mole of the gas (0.0702), but my biggest problem is what are the volumes that are supposed to be used here? Using the moles of an ideal gas (22.4 L/mol), I found that the volume of the acetylene gas is 1.572 L, but I don't have a second volume to complete the equation. I feel like I'm missing something important, but I can't figure it out.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
ThymeSeer said:
at 298K and atmospheric pressure.
ThymeSeer said:
against the atmospheric pressure.
Can you recall another isothermal work process?

OH!
w= -nRT ln (P2/P1)

So the P1 is atmospheric pressure and for the P2 I use PV=nRT
Then I have both pressures and it's just plug and chug from there.

No, it's all at atmospheric.

Did your professor really say that you should use the work formula for an isothermic gas expansion, w= -nRT ln(V2/V1)
also for an isothermic expansion, q=-w?

Neither of these suggestions is correct.

Bystander is totally correct. Also, you weren't asked for the amount of heat transferred. But, if you did have to find it, you would be looking for the "heat of reaction," for the reaction under consideration.

Chet

1. What is the formula for calculating work in Joules?

The formula for calculating work in Joules is W = F x d, where W is work, F is the force applied, and d is the displacement.

2. How do I calculate the work in Joules of Acetylene gas?

To calculate the work in Joules of Acetylene gas, you will need to know the force applied and the displacement. Use the formula W = F x d and plug in the values to find the work in Joules.

3. Can the work in Joules of Acetylene gas be negative?

Yes, the work in Joules of Acetylene gas can be negative if the force and displacement are in opposite directions. This indicates that the gas is doing work on its surroundings.

4. How is work related to energy?

Work is related to energy because work is the transfer of energy from one object to another. In the case of Acetylene gas, the work done by the gas is equal to the energy transferred to the surroundings.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating the work in Joules of Acetylene gas?

Calculating the work in Joules of Acetylene gas can be useful in industries that use the gas for welding or cutting. It can also be used in chemistry experiments to determine the energy released or absorbed during a reaction involving Acetylene gas.