Calculating work to overcome drag?

• Thread starter sirfinklstin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drag Work
In summary, the problem involves a 110 kg blimp being pulled at a constant velocity of 14 m/s for a distance of 7 km on level ground. The coefficient of drag, K, is 0.5 kg/m. The work done by the person pulling is equal to the pulling force multiplied by the distance traveled, taking into account the trigonometry involved in determining the actual distance through the air. The net force on the blimp is zero, so the total work done on it is also zero. The drag force does negative work on the blimp, while the pulling force does positive work.
sirfinklstin

Homework Statement

A blimp of mass 110 kg is pulled at an angle theta = 52 degrees downwards with respect to the horizontal for D = 7 km on level ground at a constant velocity v = 14 m/s. If the coefficient of drag (K in F = Kv^2) is 0.5 kg/m, how much work is done by the person pulling?

As I see this problem, the only thing that is relevant is drag, becuase there is no acceleration and the buoyancy of the blimp (not described) counter-acts gravity.

I calculated K in F and got 2112880, with v^2 as 196, and K as 10780 using (1/2)mv^2.
This does not seem right, help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where do you get the 10780 from?

EDIT: You got it by calculating the kinetic energy of the blimp. But this is silly because K is not kinetic energy! K is the drag coefficient, whose value is given to you in the problem! You should stop and think whether your solution method makes any sense before proceeding with it. Why would the kinetic energy appear in this context?

Last edited:
So the work would be 98 joules? that doesn't seem right either.

I get that the magnitude of the drag force is 98 N. That's not equal to the work done, though. I think you are missing something.

I am completely stuck, becuase I cannot use the work-energy theorem becuase there is no acceleration (F = ma), so I cannot calculate anything! Please help!

sirfinklstin said:
I am completely stuck, becuase I cannot use the work-energy theorem becuase there is no acceleration (F = ma), so I cannot calculate anything! Please help!

What do you mean? You are given the acceleration:

sirfinklstin said:
A blimp of mass 110 kg is pulled...at a constant velocity...

So you should know exactly what the net force is. :wink:

Yes, at a constant velocity, which means acceleration is 0. I was told by my physics teacher to add the air resistance to the answer of the work energy theorem. Maybe (1/2)mv^2? Sorry, I seem to be caught in a web of stupidity on this one, and this problem is long overdue.

The point is, that if the acceleration is zero, the *net* force on the blimp is zero (by Newton's Second Law). Therefore, whatever force is being used to pull on the blimp is only just barely enough to counteract the drag force on the blimp (the two forces are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, hence they add up to zero). Therefore, if you calculate what the drag force is from F = Kv^2, then you know what the pulling force is too.

So now you are in a position to answer the question, "how much work is done by the person pulling?" To answer this question, you need to multiply the pulling force by the distance travelled. Be careful -- some trigonometry is involved in determining the actual distance through the air traveled by the blimp (if I am interpreting the problem wording correctly).

Just a clarification: even though F*d work is done on the blimp by the person pulling it, it remains at a constant velocity. This is not a contradiction of the work-energy theorem. Remember that the net force is zero, so the total work done is zero. The drag force does the same *negative* work on the blimp as the pulling force does positive work.

Ok, I calculated a velocity of 5.26 m/s, but can someone please define the initial velocity and final velocity??
Is initial velocity as soon as the ball drops or as soon as it hits the ground?

sirfinklstin said:
Ok, I calculated a velocity of 5.26 m/s, but can someone please define the initial velocity and final velocity??
Is initial velocity as soon as the ball drops or as soon as it hits the ground?

I don't think there is a ball dropping in this problem. Are you sure you posted in the right thread?

Related to Calculating work to overcome drag?

1. What is drag and how does it affect motion?

Drag is a force that opposes the motion of an object through a fluid medium, such as air or water. It is caused by the resistance of the fluid molecules to the object's movement. The more streamlined an object is, the less drag it will experience.

2. How do you calculate the drag force on an object?

The drag force can be calculated using the equation Fd = ½ρAv2Cd, where ρ is the density of the fluid, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, v is the velocity of the object, and Cd is the drag coefficient, which depends on the shape and surface properties of the object.

3. What is the work done to overcome drag?

The work done to overcome drag is the energy required to move an object through a fluid against the drag force. It can be calculated using the equation W = Fdd, where Fd is the drag force and d is the distance traveled.

4. How does the speed of the object affect the work required to overcome drag?

The work required to overcome drag increases as the speed of the object increases. This is because the drag force is proportional to the square of the velocity, so as the object moves faster, the drag force also increases.

5. What factors can affect the drag coefficient of an object?

The drag coefficient of an object can be affected by its shape, surface roughness, and the properties of the fluid it is moving through. For example, a streamlined shape will have a lower drag coefficient compared to a more blunt shape. Additionally, a smooth surface will have a lower drag coefficient compared to a rough surface.