Calculation in Perturbative QCD by Muller

In summary: Some might say luck, but is it really? :cool:Some might say that luck is what led to the successful development of the theory of quantum mechanics.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Derivation of of Eq(31) on page 16 from Eq(23) which is on page 16.
First let's define as on page 13 of the book the perturbative coefficients of the hard scattering cross section ##H_{ab}## by:
$$(22) \ \ \ \ H_{ab}=H_{ab}^{0}+\frac{\alpha_s}{\pi}H_{ab}^{(1)}+\mathcal{O}(\alpha_s^2)$$

Now, on page 16 it's written that the RG equation for ##H_{ab}## is:
$$(31) \ \ \ \ \mu \frac{d}{d\mu} H_{ab}(x_A,x_B,Q;\frac{\mu}{Q},\alpha_s(\mu))=$$
$$=-\sum_c \int_{x_A}^1d \zeta_A P_{c/a}(\zeta_A,\alpha_s(\mu))H_{cb}(\frac{x_A}{\zeta_A},x_B,Q;\frac{\mu}{Q},\alpha_s(\mu))$$
$$-\sum_d\int_{x_B}^1 d\zeta_BP_{d/b}(\zeta_B,\alpha_s(\mu))H_{ad}(x_A,\frac{x_B}{\zeta_B},Q;\mu/Q,\alpha_s(\mu)).$$

Here ##P_{c/a}(\xi,\alpha_s(\mu))## is the all orders Altarelli-Parisi kernel. It has a perturbative expansion:
$$(32) \ \ \ \ P_{c/a}(\xi,\alpha_s(\mu))=\frac{\alpha_s(\mu)}{\pi}P_{c/a}^{(1)}(\xi)+\ldots$$
where ##P_{c/a}^{(1)}(\xi)## is the function that appears in equation (23).
$$(23) \ \ \ \ f_{a/b}(x;\epsilon)=\delta_{ab}\delta(1-x)-\frac{1}{2\epsilon}\frac{\alpha_s}{\pi}P_{a/b}^{(1)}(x)+\mathcal{O}(\alpha_s^2)$$

Thus at lowest order the renormalization group equation (31) is a simple consequence of differentiating eq. (23).
With respect to what does he take a derivative?
Can show me explicitly the calculation?

Thanks!

Forgive my idioticity I meant equation (23) is on page 13 of course.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MathematicalPhysicist said:
Summary:: Derivation of of Eq(31) on page 16 from Eq(23) which is on page 16.

First let's define as on page 13 of the book the perturbative coefficients of the hard scattering cross section ##H_{ab}## by:
$$(22) \ \ \ \ H_{ab}=H_{ab}^{0}+\frac{\alpha_s}{\pi}H_{ab}^{(1)}+\mathcal{O}(\alpha_s^2)$$

Now, on page 16 it's written that the RG equation for ##H_{ab}## is:
$$(31) \ \ \ \ \mu \frac{d}{d\mu} H_{ab}(x_A,x_B,Q;\frac{\mu}{Q},\alpha_s(\mu))=$$
$$=-\sum_c \int_{x_A}^1d \zeta_A P_{c/a}(\zeta_A,\alpha_s(\mu))H_{cb}(\frac{x_A}{\zeta_A},x_B,Q;\frac{\mu}{Q},\alpha_s(\mu))$$
$$-\sum_d\int_{x_B}^1 d\zeta_BP_{d/b}(\zeta_B,\alpha_s(\mu))H_{ad}(x_A,\frac{x_B}{\zeta_B},Q;\mu/Q,\alpha_s(\mu)).$$

Here ##P_{c/a}(\xi,\alpha_s(\mu))## is the all orders Altarelli-Parisi kernel. It has a perturbative expansion:
$$(32) \ \ \ \ P_{c/a}(\xi,\alpha_s(\mu))=\frac{\alpha_s(\mu)}{\pi}P_{c/a}^{(1)}(\xi)+\ldots$$
where ##P_{c/a}^{(1)}(\xi)## is the function that appears in equation (23).
$$(23) \ \ \ \ f_{a/b}(x;\epsilon)=\delta_{ab}\delta(1-x)-\frac{1}{2\epsilon}\frac{\alpha_s}{\pi}P_{a/b}^{(1)}(x)+\mathcal{O}(\alpha_s^2)$$

Thus at lowest order the renormalization group equation (31) is a simple consequence of differentiating eq. (23).
With respect to what does he take a derivative?
Can show me explicitly the calculation?

Thanks!

Forgive my idioticity I meant equation (23) is on page 13 of course.
They don't mean Eq.23, obviously. They mean Eq.(19). And the derivative is mu d/dmu. But they do that in several steps, working in the lowest in the string coupling constant expansion.

@nrqed I will come back to your comment after I'll return to read the book.
(in the meantime I returned on reading Schutz's book in chapter 10, so after I will finish reading this chapter I'll read your comment and let you know if I need some more guidance).

Cheers! thanks!

Likes nrqed
nrqed said:
They don't mean Eq.23, obviously. They mean Eq.(19). And the derivative is mu d/dmu. But they do that in several steps, working in the lowest in the string coupling constant expansion.
Hi @nrqed can you elaborate on the several steps which they did in the book?
BTW, you do refer to the strong coupling constant, right? there's no string theory in this book as far as I can tell.

Never mind, I see their approach.
I now understand their calculation.

Thanks!

In fact it seems to be a simple matter of derivative of ##d/d\ln \mu##... hahaha

MathematicalPhysicist said:
Never mind, I see their approach.
I now understand their calculation.

Thanks!
Good ! Good job.

(and yes, I meant "strong coupling constant" and not "string coupling constant". I typed the "i" instead of the ket next to it, the "o", by mistake. It is funny that it led to a mistake that was still physically meaningful, by pure luck!)

nrqed said:
Good ! Good job.

(and yes, I meant "strong coupling constant" and not "string coupling constant". I typed the "i" instead of the ket next to it, the "o", by mistake. It is funny that it led to a mistake that was still physically meaningful, by pure luck!)
Some might say luck, but is it really? :cool:
Do you mean instead of 'k' since I don't understand what 'ket' has to do with it?
I mean ket is from the bra and ket of Dirac's notation in QM, but what does that have to do with this post?
Anyway thanks!
We make mistakes all the time, part of being human after all.

1. What is Perturbative QCD?

Perturbative QCD (Quantum Chromodynamics) is a theory in particle physics that describes the interactions between quarks and gluons, the fundamental building blocks of matter. It is a perturbative approach, meaning it uses mathematical calculations to approximate the behavior of these particles at high energies.

2. Who is Muller and what is their contribution to Perturbative QCD?

Günter Müller is a German physicist who made significant contributions to perturbative QCD calculations. He is best known for developing the "Müller potential," a mathematical framework for calculating the interactions between quarks and gluons.

3. How does Perturbative QCD use calculations to study particle interactions?

Perturbative QCD uses a technique called Feynman diagrams to calculate the probability of particle interactions. These diagrams represent the different paths that particles can take during an interaction, and the calculations involve summing over all possible diagrams to find the most likely outcome.

4. What are the limitations of Perturbative QCD calculations?

While perturbative QCD is a powerful tool for studying high-energy particle interactions, it has its limitations. One major limitation is that it only applies to systems with a large number of particles, making it difficult to study individual particles or small systems. It also becomes increasingly complex at higher energies, making calculations more challenging.

5. How are perturbative QCD calculations verified?

Perturbative QCD calculations are verified through experiments at particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider. By comparing the results of these experiments with the predictions of perturbative QCD, scientists can validate the accuracy of the calculations and refine the theory further.