Calculation of clutch lever ratio

In summary, the conversation discussed the working principle of an old model clutch assembly and the difference between the lever ratio and the ratio of 'a' and 'b'. The lever ratio is determined by the distances between the pivot and release bearing and the pivot and pressure plate, while the ratio of 'a' and 'b' is influenced by the forces applied by the release bearing and pressure plate.
k.udhay
Hi,

I recently got an opportunity to work on a clutch assembly. The clutch is an old model one which has six helical springs that keep pressing the pressure plate, clutch plate and engine flywheel against each other. The cross section is:
INcVd.png

To give a brief working principle, when the release bearing presses the release lever (shown in fig.) towards right, the other end of it pulls the pressure plate on the opposite direction. The pivot is also shown in the fig. Like you can see, the lever ratio is mentioned as 1:4.6 clearly. But when I measured the dimensions 'a' and 'b' and found th ratio between them, I got a value 2.5. Can somebody explain me if there is anything wrong in what I have done pl.?

Thanks a lot.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The ratio of 'a' and 'b' is not necessarily the same as the lever ratio. The lever ratio is determined by the ratio of the distances between the pivot and the release bearing (a) and the pivot and the pressure plate (b). In other words, the lever ratio is the ratio of a/b multiplied by the ratio of the release bearing's force (F1) to the pressure plate's force (F2). If F1 = 2F2, then the lever ratio would be a/b * 2, which is different from the ratio of a/b.

What is the purpose of calculating clutch lever ratio?

The clutch lever ratio is used to determine the force required to operate the clutch lever and engage the clutch. It is an important factor in designing a clutch system that is easy for the user to operate.

How is the clutch lever ratio calculated?

The clutch lever ratio is calculated by dividing the distance from the pivot point of the lever to the point where the force is applied (known as the effort distance) by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the clutch is engaged (known as the load distance). This calculation is typically expressed as a ratio, such as 1:3, where the first number represents the effort distance and the second number represents the load distance.

What factors can affect the clutch lever ratio?

The clutch lever ratio can be affected by various factors such as the length of the lever, the position of the pivot point, and the type of material used for the lever. Additionally, the design of the clutch system, such as the type of clutch plates and springs, can also impact the clutch lever ratio.

Why is it important to have the correct clutch lever ratio?

Having the correct clutch lever ratio is crucial for the proper functioning of the clutch system. If the ratio is too high, it can result in a stiff and difficult to operate clutch, while a ratio that is too low can make it too easy to engage the clutch, potentially causing damage to the clutch components. A properly calculated clutch lever ratio ensures a smooth and efficient operation of the clutch.

Can the clutch lever ratio be adjusted?

Yes, the clutch lever ratio can be adjusted by changing the length of the lever or the position of the pivot point. However, it is important to consult with a professional or refer to the manufacturer's guidelines before making any adjustments to ensure the best performance of the clutch system.