Calculation of displacement of an object

In summary, Samule is an E&E student attempting to calculate the displacement of a device given the displacement of an object and the yaw heading of the device. He is not sure if this is possible and needs additional information to do so.
Samuel_00
TL;DR Summary
Need help to calculate the displacement of my device based on the X and Y displacement and the given direction (compass)
Hi, this is my first time here. I'm and E&E student currently working on a project.

I'm trying to calculate the overall displacement of my device given the X and Y displacement of the object and also the yaw heading of the device. The direction of the heading is the direction where the X axis is pointing to. For example maybe the device travels 5m to the North and 1m to the east and so on. I'm not sure if it makes sense but I don't really know how to explain it any further. Thanks!

Edit: I am not sure if this is possible and if I need more information or data to calculate the displacement

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome, Samule!
Could you show us a drawing showing x and y?

The X and Y displacement is just the displacement obtained on the XY plane. Also I forgot to add that the direction of the heading is based on the direction of the X axis.
1653019235246.png

Likes Lnewqban
Samuel_00 said:
Hi, this is my first time here. I'm and E&E student currently working on a project.
Welcome to PF.
What is E&E ?

Are you trying to resolve the position of a boat or an aeroplane when subjected to a current or a wind that causes a drift? If so, sum the vehicle velocity vector, to the current vector, to get the actual velocity vector over the ground, then apply that over time to find the new position.

You must give us additional information in order to understand your situation/project and thus being able to help you.

You speak of a device and an object. How these two relate? What does the device on to the object? What is the object and what is the device at first place. I can post more questions but let's start from those two for now.

Likes nasu and Lnewqban
Hi Baluncore,

E&E is Electrical and Electronic Engineering. The device is a floating object on water.

Hi Delta2,

Sorry for the confusion. The object and device is the same thing. Baluncore was able to describe what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to resolve the position of the device when subjected to current drift.

Likes Lnewqban and Delta2
Samuel_00 said:
Baluncore was able to describe what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to resolve the position of the device when subjected to current drift.
Then it all comes down to vector addition, and conversions between polar and rectangular coordinates where necessary. Is the matter now resolved?

Geographical and mathematical coordinates differ in the reference direction and the direction of rotation. That angle can usually be resolved by simply swapping the Cos and Sin functions in the conversions.

Likes Samuel_00

1. What is displacement?

Displacement is the distance and direction of an object's change in position from its initial point to its final point.

2. How is displacement calculated?

Displacement is calculated by subtracting the initial position from the final position. This can be represented by the equation Δx = xf - xi, where Δx is the displacement, xf is the final position, and xi is the initial position.

3. What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Distance is the total length traveled by an object, while displacement is the shortest distance between the initial and final positions of an object. Displacement takes into account the direction of movement, while distance does not.

4. Can displacement be negative?

Yes, displacement can be negative. This indicates that the object has moved in the opposite direction of the positive reference point. For example, if the positive direction is to the right and an object moves to the left, its displacement would be represented by a negative value.

5. What units are used to measure displacement?

Displacement is typically measured in units of length, such as meters, centimeters, or kilometers. The choice of unit depends on the scale of the object and the precision of the measurement.