Calculation of neutron transport cross section

In summary, the mean free paths for thermal neutron scattering in water and heavy water are 0.37cm and 2.2cm, respectively. The transport cross sections for water and heavy water are 0.45cm and 2.6cm. These values can be calculated using the equation macroscopic cross section = 1/mean free path, or specifically for water, 1-cos(theta) = 0.324, and for heavy water, 1-cos(theta) = 0.116. However, these values may differ from those in the cited text.
Kritmiss
I have a book on nuclear reactions which details the mean free paths for thermal neutron scattering as:
0.37cm for water and
2.2cm for heavy water

The transport cross sections are listed as 0.45cm for water and 2.6cm for heavy water. Does anyone know how to calculate these from the thermal scattering cross sections?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
macroscopic transport cross section=macroscopic scattering cross section *(1-cos(theta))
or generally
macroscopic cross section=1/mean free path

for water 1-cos(theta)=0.324 and 0.116 for heavy water

Where do these values of 1-cos(theta) come from?

If I use them, I obtain very different values of transport cross section than those in my book. These values of 1-cos(theta) give 1.14cm for water and 19.16cm for heavy water?

Thanks for the text, it was useful.

However, I am still unable to arrive at the values for the transport mean free paths which were stated in my book on nuclear reactions, and I do not understand where your values come from.

Thanks again for trying to help

Stephan_doc said:
macroscopic transport cross section=macroscopic scattering cross section *(1-cos(theta))
or generally
macroscopic cross section=1/mean free path

for water 1-cos(theta)=0.324 and 0.116 for heavy water

Its not right to use theta in thermal energy because in thermal area of energy scattering is isotropic!

1. What is a neutron transport cross section?

A neutron transport cross section is a measure of the probability of a neutron interacting with a material as it travels through it. It is used in nuclear physics to calculate the behavior of neutrons in nuclear reactions and in nuclear reactors.

2. How is the neutron transport cross section calculated?

The neutron transport cross section is calculated using mathematical equations and models that take into account the properties of the material, such as its density, composition, and temperature. These calculations require advanced mathematical and computational techniques.

3. What factors affect the neutron transport cross section?

The neutron transport cross section is affected by several factors, including the energy of the neutron, the type of material it is traveling through, and the temperature and density of the material. Additionally, the cross section can vary depending on the type of interaction the neutron undergoes, such as scattering or absorption.

4. How is the neutron transport cross section used in nuclear reactors?

The neutron transport cross section is an important parameter in the design and operation of nuclear reactors. It is used to predict the behavior of neutrons in the reactor core, including their interactions with fuel and other materials. This information is crucial in ensuring the safe and efficient operation of the reactor.

5. Are there any limitations to the calculation of neutron transport cross section?

While the calculation of neutron transport cross section is a well-established and accurate technique, it does have some limitations. For example, the models used may not accurately account for all possible neutron interactions, and experimental data is often needed to validate the calculations. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculations may be affected by uncertainties in the properties of the materials being studied.