Calculation of power absorbed at agitator shaft

In summary, when trying to increase the capacity of your plant using an agitator, you will need to calculate the absorbed power at the agitator shaft using the viscosity and amount of agitation needed for your application. This absorbed power can then be used to select an appropriate gear reducer for your needs, with a higher power rating being recommended for safety. It is also possible to select a gear reducer directly based on the motor input KW, but this should be done with caution and a higher power rating is still recommended for safety.
abhimanyu09
I have with me an existing Agitator details of which are as below

Motor= 2.2KW/ 3 HP, 1440 Rpm
Gear Reducer = ratio 40/1
Agitator Shaft RPM= 36
Agitator Shaft dimension
Length = 2500mm round bar , SS 304
Blades = 5 nos, 100 mm wide, 5 mm thick, dia = 2200 mm, at a distance of 400mm each, ss 304
weight of the agitator shaft & impeller assembly = approx 177 lbs
Purpose of agitation : Alum tank agitator
density ~ 1.3 - 1.4

Now i need the one more exact assembly to increase the capacity of my Plant, however i have no clue how to derive the absorbed power at the agitator shaft or the torque requirement to drive the agitator shaft. I have basic knowledge of gear reducer selection for which i need to calculate the absorbed power.

Can someone please suggest how to do that.
Also is it possible to directly select the Gear reducer based on the motor input KW ? If so then how ?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
To calculate the absorbed power at the agitator shaft, you will need to know the viscosity of the liquid being agitated, and the amount of agitation needed for your application. The viscosity will affect the torque required to turn the agitator shaft, and the amount of agitation will affect the speed of the shaft. You can then use the following formula to calculate the absorbed power:Power (P) = Torque (T) x RPM (n) Once you have calculated the absorbed power, you can use this to select the appropriate gear reducer for your application. Generally speaking, it is best to select a gear reducer with a power rating that is higher than the calculated absorbed power, to ensure that the gear reducer can handle the load. It is also possible to directly select a gear reducer based on the motor input KW, however, this should be done with caution as the gear reducer will need to be able to handle the specific torque requirements of your application. It is generally recommended to select a gear reducer with a power rating that is higher than the calculated absorbed power, as mentioned above.

1. What is the purpose of calculating power absorbed at agitator shaft?

The calculation of power absorbed at agitator shaft is important in determining the efficiency and performance of an agitator. It helps to ensure that the agitator is operating at the optimal power level and not wasting energy.

2. How is the power absorbed at agitator shaft calculated?

The power absorbed at agitator shaft is calculated by measuring the torque applied to the agitator shaft and the speed at which the agitator is rotating. The formula for calculating power is P = 2πNT, where P is power, N is rotational speed, and T is torque.

3. What factors can affect the power absorbed at agitator shaft?

The power absorbed at agitator shaft can be affected by various factors such as the type and size of the agitator, the viscosity of the material being agitated, and the speed and direction of rotation of the agitator. Other factors include the design and condition of the agitator shaft, as well as any external forces acting on the agitator.

4. How can the power absorbed at agitator shaft be optimized?

To optimize the power absorbed at agitator shaft, it is important to choose the right type and size of agitator for the specific application. Proper maintenance and calibration of the agitator can also help to improve its efficiency and reduce the power absorbed. Additionally, adjusting the speed and direction of rotation can also help to optimize the power absorbed.

5. What are some potential issues if the power absorbed at agitator shaft is not calculated accurately?

If the power absorbed at agitator shaft is not calculated accurately, it can lead to inefficient operation of the agitator, resulting in wasted energy and increased operating costs. It can also cause problems such as uneven mixing, reduced product quality, and even damage to the agitator or equipment. Therefore, it is important to ensure accurate calculations of power absorbed at agitator shaft for optimal performance and cost-effectiveness.