How to find shaft torque for belt pulley arragement?

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem with calculating the shaft torque for a system. The system includes a motor, driving pulley, belt, and two large pulleys. The motor has a power of 19.4 kW, torque of 71.8 Nm, and rated speed of 2580 rpm with a 42mm shaft diameter. The pulley diameters are 124.78, 374.33, 124.78, and 356.51, and the output shaft speed is 291 rpm with a shaft diameter of 80mm. The methodology for finding the torque of the shaft involves multiplying the torque by the ratio of the pulley diameters, which in this case is 8.6
sunil Gaikwad
I am facing problem in calculating the shaft torque for my system.

Motor is driving pulley and that pulley is coupled with belt with another big pulley (please refer attached file image).
Motor power 19.4 kw, Torque- 71.8 Nm, Motor Rated speed- 2580 rpm, motor shaft dia=42mm
Pulley dia (refer attached fig):-
d1=124.78, d2=374.33, d3=124.78, d4=356.51, output shaft speed =291 rpm. (shaft dia is 80 mm)

How to find the torque of shaft? please tell me the methodology/procedure ...?

Attachments

• 2015-07-28_120837.jpg
    2015-07-28_120837.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 767
Torque simply multiplies by the ratio of the pulley diameters. The first pulley set diameter ratio is 3:1 so torque multiplies by 3. The second pulley set diameter ratio is 2.86:1 so torque multiplies by 2.86. Overall, torque multiplies by 3 X 2.86 = 8.6. (Note that this ratio is about 3% less than the ratio of overall speed reduction. This is because the effective diameter of a v-belt pulley is slightly less than the outside diameter; in your case, about 4 mm less.)

1. How do I calculate the torque for a belt pulley arrangement?

The formula for calculating torque in a belt pulley arrangement is T = (F x r), where T is torque, F is the force acting on the pulley, and r is the radius of the pulley. This can be used for both driving and driven pulleys, and the total torque for the system can be found by adding the individual torques for each pulley.

2. What factors affect the torque in a belt pulley arrangement?

The torque in a belt pulley arrangement is affected by several factors, including the force acting on the pulley, the size and shape of the pulley, and the tension of the belt. Friction between the belt and pulley, as well as any additional loads or resistance, can also affect the torque.

3. How do I determine the force acting on a pulley in a belt system?

The force acting on a pulley can be determined by considering the load being transferred by the belt. This can be calculated by multiplying the weight of the load by the acceleration due to gravity. Additionally, any resistance or friction in the system should also be taken into account.

4. Can I use the same torque formula for all types of belt pulley arrangements?

The basic formula for calculating torque in a belt pulley arrangement can be used for most types of systems. However, there may be additional factors to consider, such as the angle of the belt or the presence of multiple belts. It is important to carefully analyze the specific system to ensure an accurate calculation of torque.

5. How does belt tension affect the torque in a pulley system?

Belt tension is an important factor in determining the torque in a pulley system. The tighter the belt, the higher the friction between the belt and pulley, resulting in a higher torque. However, too much tension can also cause excessive wear and tear on the belt and pulley, so it is important to find the right balance for optimal performance.