Calculation of the distance between planets on a given date

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of accurately calculating distances between objects in the solar system for a future date in a novel. The person mentions using various websites and apps but is unable to find a way to calculate distances without angles. They ask if anyone knows of an app that can do this and the other person suggests using Stellarium and selecting a different planet to view the sky from that perspective, which will provide the distance between objects. They also give a hint to disable ground textures for better viewing.
member 656954
I'm working on a novel and the action has moved off Earth and into the asteroid belt. I've been using a few websites and apps - notably AstroGrav, Stellarium, and Atlas InfoGraphics - to figure out where objects are in the solar system at the future date of the novel. But I can't find a way to accurately calculate distances between objects. So, I know how far out Ceres 1 is from the Sun, and how far Earth is for example, but trig fails to calculate the distance between them without angles and the apps don't give that value. I could plot-paper for a single date, but that's cumbersome and does not scale for the time frames I need.

Does anyone know of an orrery type app that calculates inter-object distances between objects at an arbitrary date?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are probably not aware, but in Stellarium, in the Location window [F6], you can select not only long/lat position on Earth, but also select another planet. Actually many other solar system objects can be selected, not only planets. Once you do that, you can watch the sky from that perspective, and click on any other object you are interested in. As you usually, in the left corner, you will find all available info, including Distance (in AU and km).
Hint: disable Ground textures [G], which is only an unnecessary obstacle for your purposes.

Likes DrClaude
lomidrevo said:
You are probably not aware

You are 100% correct, @lomidrevo, I did not know that. Thanks, I'll have a play 👍

1. How is the distance between planets calculated?

The distance between planets is calculated using a mathematical formula known as the "heliocentric distance formula". This formula takes into account the orbital parameters of the planets, such as their eccentricity and semi-major axis, as well as the date and time of observation.

2. What tools are used to calculate the distance between planets?

Scientists use various tools and techniques to calculate the distance between planets, including telescopes, computer simulations, and mathematical models. They also rely on data collected from spacecraft missions and astronomical observations.

3. How accurate are the calculated distances between planets?

The accuracy of the calculated distances between planets depends on the precision of the data and the accuracy of the mathematical models used. Generally, these calculations are accurate to within a few kilometers.

4. Can the distance between planets change on a given date?

Yes, the distance between planets can change on a given date due to the elliptical nature of their orbits. This means that the distance between planets is constantly changing as they move around the Sun.

5. Why is it important to calculate the distance between planets on a given date?

Calculating the distance between planets on a given date is important for various reasons, including understanding the dynamics of the solar system, predicting future planetary alignments, and planning space missions. It also helps us gain a better understanding of the universe and our place in it.