Calculation of the least value of PD needed to produce x-rays

In summary: Use the minimum wavelength. Minimum means smallest. Which is smaller, 0.035 nm or 0.07 nm?0.035 nm.
Asmaa Mohammad

Homework Statement

XXUSO.png
[/B]
In my excercise book, I was given a typical diagram as that in Fig (6-7) above.
And the problem statement says:
The diagram presents the x-ray spectrum produced by Coolidge tube. Determine the least potential difference needed to produce the characteristic radiation.

Homework Equations

E= hƒ = hc/λ where: h is Planck's constant, ƒ is the frequency, c is light speed and λ is the wavelength)
K.E= eV

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I really don't know how to start in this, because the diagram doesn't appear to be precise, I mean I don't know actually the precise shortest wavelength where the characteristic radiation appears in the diagram, would it be 0.07nm?!

If it would be 0.07nm, I will do this:

E=hc/λ=(6.625*10^-34)* (3*10^8)/ (0.07*10^-9)
=2.8*10^-15 j
Then,
eV= E -----> V=E/e = (2.8*10^-15)/ (1.6*10^-19)
=17.5 kV.

But I don't think my approach is correct, so I am waiting your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Asmaa Mohammad said:
If it would be 0.07nm
Can you come up with abetter estimate? λm is to the left of the 0.04 nm mark.
Asmaa Mohammad said:
But I don't think my approach is correct ...
What makes you say this?

kuruman said:
Can you come up with abetter estimate? λm is to the left of the 0.04 nm mark
OK, but it is λm of the bremsstrahlung radiation not the characteristic, isn't it?
I say that my approach is wrong because I don't actually understand the problem or how to start.

Y
Asmaa Mohammad said:
OK, but it is λm of the bremsstrahlung radiation not the characteristic, isn't it?
Correct. Now suppose you have an electron accelerated to energy E. Consider two cases after it slams into the target: (1) it produces a single photon of energy E; (2) it produces two photons each with energy E/2. In which case is the wavelength shorter?

kuruman said:
Y

Correct. Now suppose you have an electron accelerated to energy E. Consider two cases after it slams into the target: (1) it produces a single photon of energy E; (2) it produces two photons each with energy E/2. In which case is the wavelength shorter?
The photon in case (1) will have a shorter wavelength because it has a larger frequency. But what is the relation of this with what we try to get?

Asmaa Mohammad said:
But what is the relation of this with what we try to get?
Note that we are trying to get the potential difference (1) through which the electron is accelerated.
Note that (1) is related to the energy of the electron (2).
Note that, if (2) goes into producing a single photon, this photon has the minimum wavelength λm (3).
Note that you can read (3) off the plot.

OK. But let me say something here, and I hope you get my point of view:biggrin:
The accelerated electron through the PD, can produce either a bremsstrahlung spectrum or a characteristic spectrum, right? The bremsstrahlung has its own minimum wavelength, the characteristic spectrum has its own minimum wavelength too, right?
The minimum wavelength of the bremsstrahlung can be estimated to be 0.035nm whilst the minimum wavelength of the characteristic is (in my opinion) directly below the left peak of the characteristic line spectrum, e.g., 0.07nm.
Are those points correct?

Asmaa Mohammad said:
The accelerated electron through the PD, can produce either a bremsstrahlung spectrum or a characteristic spectrum, right?
It is more appropriate to think that the accelerated electron produces a certain number of photons, not a spectrum. The sum of the energies of these photons must equal the initial energy of the electron. The spectrum is generated by looking at the distribution of a whole lot of photons produced by a whole lot of electrons.

kuruman said:
It is more appropriate to think that the accelerated electron produces a certain number of photons, not a spectrum. The sum of the energies of these photons must equal the initial energy of the electron. The spectrum is generated by looking at the distribution of a whole lot of photons produced by a whole lot of electrons.
OK, you are right. But still I don't know the answer of my question.

Please read post #6. It has all the hints you need. Connect the dots.

kuruman said:
this photon has the minimum wavelength λm (3).
I don't know which wavelength (0.035nm or 0.07nm) is to be used to solve the problem.

Asmaa Mohammad said:
I don't know which wavelength (0.035nm or 0.07nm) is to be used to solve the problem.
Use the minimum wavelength. Minimum means smallest. Which is smaller, 0.035 nm or 0.07 nm?

1. What is the purpose of calculating the least value of PD needed to produce x-rays?

The purpose of this calculation is to determine the minimum potential difference (PD) required to generate x-rays in a given system. This value is important for optimizing x-ray production and ensuring the safety of equipment and individuals.

2. How is the least value of PD for x-ray production calculated?

The calculation involves using the equation PD = hν/e, where h is Planck's constant, ν is the frequency of the x-rays, and e is the charge of an electron. The value of ν can be determined based on the desired wavelength of x-rays, and then substituted into the equation to solve for the minimum PD.

3. What factors can affect the least value of PD for x-ray production?

The least value of PD can be affected by a number of factors, including the type of x-ray tube being used, the material of the anode, the strength of the magnetic field, and the type of target material. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and voltage can also play a role in determining the minimum PD.

4. How accurate is the calculation of the least value of PD for x-ray production?

The accuracy of the calculation depends on the precision of the input values and the assumptions made in the equation. In practice, there may be slight variations due to factors such as equipment limitations and environmental conditions. However, the calculated value provides a good estimate for the minimum PD needed for x-ray production.

5. What are the potential consequences of not accurately calculating the least value of PD for x-ray production?

If the calculated PD is too low, the x-ray production may be insufficient for the desired application. On the other hand, if the calculated PD is too high, it can lead to excessive radiation exposure and potential damage to equipment. Therefore, it is important to accurately calculate the least value of PD to ensure the safety and effectiveness of x-ray production.