Calculation of the rise in the temperature of a truck brake

In summary: I doubt they'll do anything, but it can't hurt.In summary, the conversation discusses the answer of 92ºC arrived at by using the equation ##Q=Mgh=mc\Delta T## and the uncertainty of whether this is the same as the energy lost by the truck. It also mentions the considerable coefficient of friction and the question of whether the entire potential energy lost by the truck is converted into heat or only 10% of it. The conversation also brings up the topic of rolling friction and its potential impact on the temperature increase. Finally, it is noted that the book may have overlooked the advice that only 10% of the generated heat is retained and the possibility of submitting an errata to OpenStax.
KedarMhaswade
Homework Statement
Calculate the temperature increase of 100 kg of brake material with an average specific heat of 800 J/kg⋅ºC if the material retains 10% of the energy from a 10,000-kg truck descending 75.0 m (in vertical displacement) at a constant speed. (see: https://openstax.org/books/college-physics-ap-courses/pages/14-2-temperature-change-and-heat-capacity)
Relevant Equations
Equating the loss of potential energy of the truck to the gain of the internal energy of the brake material seems alright, but is that what is required? What about friction and loss of heat to atmosphere during the descent?
The text gives the answer as 92ºC. The answer is arrived at by doing ##Q=Mgh=mc\Delta T##. But it is unclear to me if they are the same. I checked the coefficient of friction and it definitely seems to be considerable. Is the entire PE lost by the truck going to result in increasing the temperature of the brake material, or is it only 10% of the former (resulting in an answer of 9.2ºC)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
KedarMhaswade said:
What about friction and loss of heat to atmosphere during the descent?

I checked the coefficient of friction and it definitely seems to be considerable.
What friction do you have in mind, other than that which heats the brakes?
KedarMhaswade said:
or is it only 10%
It does seem that the 92C answer overlooks the advice that only 10% of the generated heat is retained.

Likes KedarMhaswade
haruspex said:
What friction do you have in mind, other than that which heats the brakes?
Should we not take into account the rolling friction of the tire on the surface? Agreed, it is negligible perhaps, but it is not zero. Rudimentary calculations show that at a descent of ##75\space m## under gravity on a frictionless surface, a body will be moving at an instantaneous speed of about ##40\space m/sec##. Will the body be moving with the same speed in the presence of rolling friction as well?
haruspex said:
It does seem that the 92C answer overlooks the advice that only 10% of the generated heat is retained.
I thought so too. It does look like 90% of the energy is lost to atmosphere. The funny part is that the book goes on to acknowledge such a high temperature rise by saying "This temperature is close to the boiling point of water. If the truck had been traveling for some time, then ...". This tells me that perhaps the rise is indeed close to the boiling point of water at 1 atm.

Should I submit an errata to OpenStax, or am I to ignore the 10% heat retention information in the problem statement?

KedarMhaswade said:
Should we not take into account the rolling friction of the tire on the surface?
Ok, that's what I prefer to call rolling resistance. With the brakes off, how much of a slope would lead a truck to start rolling? Not much, I think.
KedarMhaswade said:
Should I submit an errata to OpenStax
Might as well.

1. How is the rise in temperature of a truck brake calculated?

The rise in temperature of a truck brake can be calculated by using the formula Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat energy transferred, m is the mass of the brake material, c is the specific heat capacity of the brake material, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

2. What factors affect the rise in temperature of a truck brake?

The rise in temperature of a truck brake can be affected by factors such as the weight and speed of the truck, the condition of the brake material, the design of the brake system, and the ambient temperature and humidity.

3. How can the rise in temperature of a truck brake be controlled?

The rise in temperature of a truck brake can be controlled by using high-quality brake materials with a high specific heat capacity, ensuring proper maintenance and replacement of worn brake components, and implementing efficient braking techniques such as engine braking or downshifting.

4. What are the potential consequences of a high rise in temperature of a truck brake?

A high rise in temperature of a truck brake can lead to reduced braking performance, increased wear and tear on brake components, and even brake failure. It can also cause damage to other parts of the truck, such as the tires and suspension, and increase the risk of accidents.

5. How can the rise in temperature of a truck brake be measured?

The rise in temperature of a truck brake can be measured using a variety of methods, including infrared thermometers, thermocouples, and heat-sensitive stickers. These tools can provide real-time temperature readings and help monitor the brake system's performance.