Calculation of torque power for BLDC

In summary, your solar electric bicycle will need a 12 Volt battery and a brushless DC motor. The converter will step up the voltage to the required levels. The motor will need to be rated for the torque power and torque rating of the system.
treasure
i am building a solar electric bicycle for my final year project,in our project we are using solar panel to convert solar energy into electric energy and that energy will be stored in the battery.
now we require brush-less DC motor to start the bicycle.
so which torque equation should i use to calculate torque power and also how to decide the rating of the motor??
we are using solar panel of 12 V and also battery of 12 V and also using DC-DC boast converter to step up the rating of 12 v to the volts which we require for the bicycle.
so please help me out with this..
but first of all i have to decide the torque power and torque rating of motor because based on motor rating only i can decide the rating of solar panel and battery.
so please tell me how to calculate motor torque and also tell me the torque equation.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello Treasure -- Welcome to PF.

You may get some useful specs from a manufacturer like Bionx.

Your DC/DC converter may need to be buck/boost to manage the power to the motor from 0 V up to the max. It may be worth while to have a battery V equal to the max Motor voltage. So the Motor control is ONLY a buck, for example: Solar -> Boost -> Battery -> Buck -> Motor.

As for motor torque - I would back calculate, a good practical experiment, from pushing someone on the Bike, and measure the force needed. So start with Force and Wheel Radius...Torque - etc.

Is it not time to use some of the knowledge you have gained from the years in college? Classical mechanics would go a long way, in fact all the way.

What is torque and why do you need it? What is the relation to power? What speed are you aiming for? Which acceleration? What is the inertia of your system, what is the weight of the system? Do you need a reduction gear? Is the load torque constant or will it depend on speed and terrain?

Or should you first consider the amount of power you can deliver from the battery and PV at a certain instant of time? I would be a poorly designed system if your power supply only can provide 500W and motor is rated 1000W.

Show us a free body diagram, some equations and numbers...

Related to Calculation of torque power for BLDC

What is BLDC?

BLDC stands for Brushless DC motor, which is a type of electric motor that uses electronic commutation instead of mechanical brushes to control the flow of electricity to the motor. This results in smoother operation and better efficiency.

What is torque power?

Torque power is a measure of the rotational force produced by a motor. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the motor's lever arm by the distance from the pivot point.

How is torque power calculated for BLDC motors?

The torque power of a BLDC motor can be calculated using the formula: T = Kt * I * N, where T is the torque power, Kt is the motor's torque constant, I is the current flowing through the motor, and N is the motor's rotational speed in revolutions per minute (RPM).

What factors can affect the torque power of a BLDC motor?

The torque power of a BLDC motor can be affected by several factors, including the motor's size and design, the voltage and current supplied to the motor, and the motor's operating temperature. Additionally, the torque power can also be affected by external factors such as the load on the motor and any friction or resistance in the motor's components.

Why is calculating torque power important for BLDC motors?

Calculating torque power is important for BLDC motors because it helps determine the motor's performance and efficiency. It can also be used to select the appropriate motor for a specific application and to ensure that the motor can handle the required load and speed. Furthermore, knowing the torque power can help in diagnosing any issues with the motor and determining the best course of action for maintenance or repairs.