Calculation using 3 quantities: Shoveling snow to earn money

In summary: It's not something that someone who is trained in the subject does.My friend, this is not physics. I have given you a hint. Please use formula, it would be easier for you because I think your background is physics.
zak100
Summary:: Hi,
I am trying to solve the following:
A person shovels driveways to earn money. She can shovel 12 driveways in 6 hours. She earns 18$ for each driveway.The person needs 360$ to buy a computer. How may hours does the person need to work?

I am using unity method :
18$----6 hour
1 $----6/18
360$...6/18 * 360
= 120 hours

Some body please guide me.

Zulfi.

Physics news on Phys.org
zak100 said:
A person shovels driveways to earn money. She can shovel 12 driveways in 6 hours. She earns 18$ for each driveway.The person needs 360$ to buy a computer. How may hours does the person need to work?

18$----6 hour
1 $----6/18
360$...6/18 * 360
= 120 hours

Some body please guide me.

Zulfi.
That seems like a lot of work. 120 hours for $360 is only $3 per hour.

• Haha
Likes etotheipi
What is the correct solution?

zak100 said:

18$----6 hour
No, this is wrong.
If she can shovel 12 driveways in 6 hours, how long does it take for her to shovel 1 driveway?

zak100 said:
1 $----6/18
360$...6/18 * 360
= 120 hours
No, this is way off.

Likes sysprog
Yes, I know its but do you know the correct one?

Zufi.

zak100 said:
Yes, I know its but do you know the correct one?
Yes.

• Haha
Likes russ_watters, Doc Al, SammyS and 1 other person
It's not even algebra. It's very basic arithmetic. If you feel lazy bring up the calculator on the machine you're using.

Start with $360 and compute how many driveways that is and then it should be clear how long it will take.

Likes sysprog
Hi,

This means that you know the answer.
360/18 = x/12

x = 240 drive ways
I don't know if the above is correct.

Somebody please guide me.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,

This means that you know the answer.
360/18 = x/12

x = 240 drive ways
I don't know if the above is correct.

Somebody please guide me.

Zulfi.
It's not correct. Start with step 1 as @jedishrfu suggested. If she earns $18 for each driveway, how many driveways does she have to shovel to earn $360. Can you answer this?

Likes sysprog
Mark44 said:
If she can shovel 12 driveways in 6 hours, how long does it take for her to shovel 1 driveway?
phyzguy said:
If she earns $18 for each driveway, how many driveways does she have to shovel to earn $360. Can you answer this?
Really, this problem is simple enough that you should be able to do it in your head.

Likes sysprog
zak100 said:
x = 240 drive ways
At $18 per driveway, she would earn $4320, enough to buy a dozen computers at $360 each.

Instead of blindly applying a formula that you don't understand, read through this thread. You've been given lots of hints.

Likes sysprog
Would someone please use the magic phrase: "put units with each of the three numbers"

The correct answer will have units of hrs/computer. There is only one solution.

Likes Orodruin, Vanadium 50, sysprog and 1 other person
Hi,

Actually there is a formula for it. I don't know if you guys know the formula.

Zulfi.

• Skeptical
Likes sysprog
There's a funny story about formulas and mastery: The students memorize the formulas and conditions under which they apply whereas the master derives the formula but only if he/she needs it.

This model is born out in Introductory Physics classes and once the student gains mastery then Lagrangian and Hamiltonians are used with boundary conditions and those confusing Intro formulas go by the wayside.

Likes Vanadium 50, russ_watters and sysprog
My friend, this is not physics. I have given you a hint. Please use formula, it would be easier for you because I think your background is physics.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
My friend, this is not physics. I have given you a hint. Please use formula, it would be easier for you because I think your background is physics.

Zulfi.
You're saying something to a senior instructor who is voluntarily and without compensation assisting you in handling a problem that would not be too difficult for you to do without assistance if you would think it through. Many of us immediately see the answer, but we want you to see it, so we don't just tell the answer. The same is true on Physics Forums for problems that are far more difficult.

Likes russ_watters
zak100 said:

Zulfi.
You misunderstand. Most of us on this thread can immediately see the answer to your problem in our heads with very little thought. I'm frankly amazed that the answer was not obvious to you and that you are still posting about it. Memorizing a formula for every possible problem you will face in life is not the way to learn. You need to be able to think about what the problem is asking and what you need to do to find the answer without needing a formula.

Can I ask what level of schooling you are in where you received this problem?

Likes sysprog
@zak100 Is there possibly a language interpretation issue?

Likes jedishrfu
Hi,
Excuse me, I am sorry, your mentor was insulting me:
The students memorize the formulas and condition under which they apply whereas the master derives the formula but only if he/she needs it.

Zulfi.

• Skeptical
Likes sysprog
zak100 said:
Hi,
Excuse me, I am sorry, your mentor was insulting me:Zulfi.
No; he was not insulting you; not at all was anyone insulting you.

zak100 said:
Hi,
Excuse me, I am sorry, your mentor was insulting me:
Zulfi.
If you consider @jedishrfu's comment an insult, you have a very thin skin. He was trying to help you learn.

Likes sysprog
phyzguy said:
You misunderstand. Most of us on this thread can immediately see the answer to your problem in our heads with very little thought. I'm frankly amazed that the answer was not obvious to you and that you are still posting about it. Memorizing a formula for every possible problem you will face in life is not the way to learn. You need to be able to think about what the problem is asking and what you need to do to find the answer without needing a formula.

Can I ask what level of schooling you are in where you received this problem?
I would call it a scapegoat instead of talking about the problem you are talking about the school. Why are you asking private information? This looks like hacking.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
I would call it a scapegoat instead of talking about the problem you are talking about the school. Why are you asking private information? This looks like hacking.

Zulfi.
That looks to me like you might be in need of some adjustment in your personal perspective.

You showed up here asking for advice on something that most of us would consider to be a very easy problem.

Then you apparently got miffed when you were gently and courteously instructed, and were merely asked something that amounted to something like what grade are you in, because the problem you posed is pretty much meant to be solved by young children, or as we in the US and elsewhere say, "child's play".

I think that maybe English isn't your first language, and so maybe there is a difficulty for you in interpreting the problem, and in understanding the responses.

Please don't suppose that anyone here intended to demean, degrade, or insult you.

Last edited:
@zak100: If you want to learn something, that's great. Several users here have given useful hints how to approach the (quite simple) problem, and told you what went wrong with your approach. They also offered advice how to avoid similar mistakes in the future.

Meanwhile you are ignoring all that advice, calling it insulting and other things. This isn't the right approach to learn. Not at all. I closed this thread.

• Skeptical
Likes russ_watters, zak100, jedishrfu and 1 other person

1. How do I calculate the amount of money earned from shoveling snow?

To calculate the amount of money earned from shoveling snow, you will need to know the rate at which you are being paid (per hour or per job), the total time spent shoveling, and the number of jobs completed. Multiply the rate by the time spent and the number of jobs completed to get the total amount earned.

2. What is the formula for calculating the rate of shoveling snow?

The formula for calculating the rate of shoveling snow is distance/time, where distance refers to the amount of snow shoveled and time refers to the amount of time spent shoveling.

3. How do I determine the number of jobs completed when shoveling snow?

The number of jobs completed when shoveling snow can be determined by dividing the total amount of snow shoveled by the amount of snow required for one job. For example, if one job requires shoveling one driveway, and you have shoveled five driveways, then you have completed five jobs.

4. Can I use the same formula for calculating the amount of money earned for different rates and times?

Yes, the formula for calculating the amount of money earned from shoveling snow can be used for different rates and times. As long as you have the three quantities (rate, time, and number of jobs completed), you can plug them into the formula and get the total amount earned.

5. How can I use this calculation to budget my earnings from shoveling snow?

You can use this calculation to budget your earnings from shoveling snow by estimating the number of jobs you can complete in a given time period and multiplying it by your rate. This will give you an idea of how much you can expect to earn and can help you plan your budget accordingly.