Direction To Engineering Career: Work is Unfulfilling

In summary: Based on the criteria listed, you are looking for a job that is creative, intellectually challenging, useful, has a personable work environment, and offers some freedom. Some suggestions for alternative career paths in engineering could be working for smaller companies that specialize in test engineering or field work, pursuing a PhD and a career in academia, or finding a job in a more entrepreneurial firm. It's important to consider the cost of education and the potential for long work hours in these options, but ultimately it's important to find a job that aligns with your interests and values.
HuskyNamedNala
I currently have an entry level desk job in engineering at a large defense contractor. The work and lifestyle is...very boring...to say the least. Right now my work is not very challenging (I suspect because it is entry level right now, but I have seen people with 5-10 years of experience doing similar things to what I do...) and the day is repetitive. Actually, what drives me nuts is sitting in an office 8 hours a day...every day. And barely having any time to pursue my own interests, on top of not being challenged and a small social circle. I am making this post to solicit suggestions for alternative career paths in engineering (or that might be obtainable with an engineering background) based on criteria listed below:

1) I want work that is creative and intellectually challenging. Checklists, reviewing diagrams/drawings, and reading government paperwork is far from either of those...

2) Something that is "useful". That is a vague term, let's say a job that "gets something done for people" a simple example would be shoveling snow. No it isn't engineering, but it helps people and it needs to get done. At the end of the day you can see what you've accomplished (moved some snow! cleared someones driveway, made it easier for them to walk, etc)

3) A personable work environment. I really dislike the "cookie cutter" environment of my work place. I really enjoyed my time on an extracurricular club during my undergrad - we designed and built UAVs to compete nationally. I think working on a small team made the experience really great, even though we were putting in 12 hour days on Saturday in addition to our classwork.

4) Some freedom. Sitting all day for 8 hours is very confining. I lose focus after 6 hours. I worked more in undergrad but I think because I could break up my schedule I was more productive and happy overall.

I have come up with some of my own ideas, but I want to hear what you guys suggest first. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What ideas have you come up with?

Deep down I want yo be a professor and inventor, but I am so afraid of the economy that I am weary of applying yo PhD programs.

I was thinking of applying to smaller companies that do test engineering or field work.

I was also considering quitting, becoming a bartender, working on my interest in my free time.

To* phone...

I've also just started working and its mostly all drafting work. Nothing too interesting. I guess that part's common everywhere. If you really want to be a professor, go for it. If I'm not mistaken, you'll get a stipend while you do your PhD. You'll be involved in research and get a chance to teach as well. Work for a year or two, save some money, gain some experience and go for it. In the mean time, you can also finalize the field where you want do your PhD in. The bartender option will be open for life, but not this one.

Did you get your PhD too?

No I've got my Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering. I'm going to apply for Masters next year. Still contemplating on whether or not to get a PhD.

Are you applying to USA schools? I'm considering elsewhere because of the student loan crisis.

Ya I am thinking USA and Germany. I'm from India FYI.

Likes berkeman
Before you consider the USA look at the cost of education. 60 grand is no small number

Varies from university to university. I am looking into it. More than where you apply, its important that you do and go ahead with your education.

HuskyNamedNala said:
a large defense contractor
From what you describe it sounds like you may be more interested in a smaller more entrepreneurial firm. Such companies require a greater tolerance for uncertainty and personal financial risk, but they may be more stimulating.

8 hours is a very short workday for a practicing engineer. It actually gives you time to explore other interests. If you get a faster-pace job and begin working 50 - 55 hours a week consistently with periodic death marches you'll find pretty soon you don't have hobbies or interests anymore. It happened to me.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.

Likes berkeman
Companies take advantage of people, I would never work more than 8 hours a day unless I'm passionate about the topic. Life is too short to waste it on crap you don't enjoy.

t
HuskyNamedNala said:
Companies take advantage of people, I would never work more than 8 hours a day unless I'm passionate about the topic. Life is too short to waste it on crap you don't enjoy.

Look for work at smaller companies. You will work much longer hours, be challenged to the extreme, and will feel very passionate about your work. Been there for the past couple of decades -- definitely not boring! :)

Yes. To me it doesn't sound like you are in the wrong career, just the wrong job.

Likes HuskyNamedNala

1. What is an engineering career?

An engineering career involves using scientific and mathematical principles to design, develop, and maintain various products, systems, and structures. Engineers apply their knowledge and skills to solve complex problems and improve the world around us.

2. Why is work in engineering often described as unfulfilling?

There are several reasons why someone may find their engineering work unfulfilling. One common reason is that the job may involve a lot of repetitive or mundane tasks, which can become monotonous and unchallenging over time. Additionally, some engineers may feel disconnected from the end result of their work, as their contributions may be just one small piece of a larger project or product.

3. What can be done to find fulfillment in an engineering career?

There are several ways to find fulfillment in an engineering career. One approach is to seek out projects or positions that align with your personal interests and values. This can help make the work feel more meaningful and rewarding. Additionally, actively seeking out new challenges and opportunities for growth can help keep the work engaging and satisfying.

4. Is it common for engineers to switch careers due to unfulfillment?

While it is not uncommon for individuals in any career to switch paths, engineering does have a high rate of career changes. This can be due to a variety of reasons, including burnout, lack of fulfillment, or wanting to pursue different interests. It is important for individuals to assess their own satisfaction and make decisions that align with their personal goals and values.

5. Are there any alternatives to traditional engineering careers that may be more fulfilling?

Yes, there are several alternative options for individuals who are interested in engineering but may not find traditional careers fulfilling. Some examples include working in research and development, teaching or mentoring in the field, or pursuing entrepreneurship and starting their own engineering-related business. Exploring different industries and roles within engineering can also lead to more fulfilling opportunities.