Calculus by Spivak, Chapter 2, Problem 6, Part 3

In summary, Spivak explains how to derive formulas for summations, starting with the method for 1^2 + 2^2 + ... + n^2. By writing the formula for k = 1, 2, ..., n and adding them, we can obtain the formula for 1^3 + ... + n^3 and 1^4 + ... + n^4. However, when trying to apply this method to 1/(1*2) + 1/(2*3) + ... + 1/(n (n + 1)), it seems not feasible. After seeking help, it is discovered that the method can still be applied and the final formula is 1 - 1
Nafi Khandaker
In this problem, Spivak shows how to derive formulas to summations. They start by showing the method for
1^2 + 2^2 + ... + n^2 as follows:

(k + 1)^3 - k^3 = 3k^2 + 3k + 1

Writing this formula for k = 1, 2, ..., n and adding, we obtain

2^3 - 1^3 = 3*1^2 + 3*1 + 1
3^3 - 2^3 = 3*2^2 + 3*2 + 1

(n + 1)^3 - n^3 = 3*n^2 + 3*n + 1
(n + 1)^3 - 1 = 3[1^2 + ... + n^2] + 3[1 + ... + n] + n.
I understood the method and used it for 1^3 + ... + n^3 and 1^4 + ... + n^4, but I am completely lost as to how to apply this to 1/(1*2) + 1/(2*3) + ... 1/(n (n + 1)). The book's answer doesn't help much:
1/k - 1/(k + 1) = 1/(k (k + 1).

Any ideas as to how to derive this result using the method previously given?

Physics news on Phys.org
The best way I came up with to solve your problem is also the way you states:
$$\frac{1}{1\cdot 2}+\frac{1}{2\cdot 3}+...+\frac{1}{n(n+1)}=\frac{1}{1}-\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{3}+...+\frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{n+1}=\frac{1}{1}-\frac{1}{n+1}.$$
The way you mentioned to solve the previous problems is great, but seems not feasible on this case.

tommyxu3 said:
The best way I came up with to solve your problem is also the way you states:
$$\frac{1}{1\cdot 2}+\frac{1}{2\cdot 3}+...+\frac{1}{n(n+1)}=\frac{1}{1}-\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{3}+...+\frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{n+1}=\frac{1}{1}-\frac{1}{n+1}.$$
The way you mentioned to solve the previous problems is great, but seems not feasible on this case.
Thanks for replying. I asked someone else who has more math experience than me and he said something similar.

1. What is the main concept behind Chapter 2, Problem 6, Part 3 in Spivak's "Calculus"?

The main concept of this problem is to understand how to use the definition of a limit to prove that a limit exists.

2. How does this problem relate to real-world applications?

Understanding how to prove that a limit exists is essential in many real-world applications, such as engineering, economics, and physics, where limits are used to model and predict behavior.

3. What are some key strategies for solving this problem?

Some key strategies for solving this problem include breaking down the problem into smaller parts, using algebraic manipulation, and carefully applying the definition of a limit.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving this problem?

One common mistake is to try to use shortcuts or intuitive reasoning instead of carefully applying the definition of a limit. It is also important to check for errors in algebraic manipulation and to make sure all steps are logically connected.

5. What is the significance of this problem in the larger scope of calculus?

This problem is significant because it lays the foundation for understanding the concept of a limit, which is crucial in the study of calculus. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are essential for success in higher mathematics.