Calculus Derivations: Handbook, Rules, Properties & Books

In summary, there are various resources available for deriving and understanding the rules and properties of derivatives and integrals in mathematical analysis. These include textbooks on calculus, tables of integrals and derivatives, and reference books such as the CRC Standard Mathematical Tables. It is not necessary to derive every single integration formula from scratch, but rather to understand the different integration techniques and methods used.
Physics news on Phys.org
I think any introductory calculus text will cover these rules in detail.
General properties of derivatives can be demonstrated using the definition of the derivative as a limit.
##f'(x) = \lim_{h \to 0 } \frac{f(x+h) - f(x) }{h}##
For example, the product rule is:
##\frac{d}{dx}(fg) = \lim_{h \to 0 } \frac{f(x+h)g(x+h) - f(x)g(x) }{h}##
Adding zero in the form of ##f(x+h)g(x)-f(x+h)g(x)##:
##\qquad = \lim_{h \to 0 } \frac{f(x+h)g(x+h) - f(x)g(x) +f(x+h)g(x)-f(x+h)g(x) }{h}\\
\qquad = \lim_{h \to 0 } \frac{[f(x+h)g(x+h) -f(x+h)g(x)]+[f(x+h)g(x) - f(x)g(x)] }{h}\\
\qquad = \lim_{h \to 0 } f(x+h)\frac{g(x+h) -g(x)}{h}+g(x)\frac{f(x+h)- f(x) }{h}##
Applying the limit, this will be:
##\frac{d}{dx}(fg) = f(x)\frac{dg}{dx} + g(x)\frac{df}{dx}.##
The integral rules are often demonstrated as the inverse of the derivative...i.e. once you know all the derivative rules, apply the derivatives to the integrals to verify them for yourself.

samgrace said:
Hello,

Please take a look at this handbook of derivatives and integrals:
http://myhandbook.info/form_diff.html
http://integral-table.com/downloads/single-page-integral-table.pdf

I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the direction of exemplary books that derive these rules/properties/truths of mathematical analysis.
Just about any textbook on differential and integral calculus will show how to derive these formulas, starting with No. (1) on the Table of Integrals. Outside of a few basic techniques and the integrals of the elementary functions, the rest of the formulas on these tables are just applications to more complex combinations of the elementary functions. The derivation of the formulas for the derivatives of the various elementary functions can be obtained from the definition of the derivative.

The tables themselves are compiled so that someone can quickly determine the integral of one of the forms contained there without going through all of the scut work that is expected of a student. Of course, with computers now doing symbolic algebra and calculus, such tables are no longer needed as much as they once were.

Thanks, sorry for the delayed response I learn a variety of things throughout the week.

I started reading an analysis book and managed to prove the simple power law for both differentiating and integrating. The integral derivation used the sum of squares relationship to simplify which was something to prove in itself.
Also derived the derivatives of sinx, cosx, 1/x and e^x, which all used niche identities.

I can assume that the rest of the integrals on this table, like with 1/x = lnx that I am currently trying to do, all require re-expressing sums of sequences and required identities. I plan on filling a notebook of these derivations, its going to take a long time.

samgrace said:
Thanks, sorry for the delayed response I learn a variety of things throughout the week.

I started reading an analysis book and managed to prove the simple power law for both differentiating and integrating. The integral derivation used the sum of squares relationship to simplify which was something to prove in itself.
Also derived the derivatives of sinx, cosx, 1/x and e^x, which all used niche identities.

I can assume that the rest of the integrals on this table, like with 1/x = lnx that I am currently trying to do, all require re-expressing sums of sequences and required identities. I plan on filling a notebook of these derivations, its going to take a long time.
Whatever floats your boat.

The important thing is not to derive every single integration formula from scratch, but to understand the different integration techniques which are used to simplify certain integrals, like u-substitution or integration by parts.

While the tables of indefinite integrals you linked to are fairly comprehensive, there are entire books filled with such formulae, which have been derived over many years by many different mathematicians. One such reference, which includes definite and indefinite integrals of various types, is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0123849330/?tag=pfamazon01-20

There's almost 1200 pages of integrals, derivatives, series, etc. in this book, which is one of the more comprehensive tomes available on the subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, right, yes.
In that case I'll only do a few more and then start doing calculus for physics. Thanks for putting the wind in my sails.

Another useful resource is CRC Standard Mathematical Tables (https://www.amazon.com/dp/1584882913/?tag=pfamazon01-20). It's currently up to about the 32nd edition. A friend gave me his 15th Ed. back in '72 when he felt he had no more use for it, and I've hung on to it ever since. It's my go-to resource for integrals and Laplace transforms and a lot more.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of the Calculus Derivations Handbook?

The Calculus Derivations Handbook serves as a comprehensive guide for students and researchers in the field of calculus. It includes rules, properties, and formulas for finding derivatives of various functions, as well as examples and practice problems to aid in understanding.

2. What are some important rules to remember when finding derivatives?

Some important rules to remember when finding derivatives include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules help to determine the derivative of a function based on its algebraic structure.

3. What properties of derivatives are important to know?

The most important properties of derivatives include the linearity property, which states that the derivative of a sum of functions is equal to the sum of their derivatives, and the inverse property, which states that the derivative of an inverse function is equal to the reciprocal of the derivative of the original function.

4. What are some recommended books for learning about calculus derivations?

Some recommended books for learning about calculus derivations include "Calculus Made Easy" by Silvanus P. Thompson, "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, and "Calculus: A Complete Course" by Robert A. Adams and Christopher Essex.

5. How can understanding calculus derivations be useful in real-world applications?

Understanding calculus derivations can be useful in a variety of real-world applications, such as physics, economics, and engineering. It allows for the analysis of rates of change and optimization of systems, which is essential in many fields and industries.