Calculus Problem with simplifying

In summary, the conversation is about a question involving differentiating and simplifying a function. The person has tried common factoring but is unable to simplify it further. They are seeking help to solve the problem.
K - Prime
well ill go through the whole question up to where i am (not very far) to make sure there were no prior errors, but i can't simplfy past where i am (maybe i just can't see it)

Differentiate and simplify

...(1-x)^4
f(x) = --------
...1-4x

f'(x) = [4(1-x)^3(-1)](1-4x) - (1-x)^4(-4)
...-----------------------------------
......(1-4x)^2

...= (-4)(1-x)^3 - (1-x)^4(-4)
...------------------------- note: i canceled the (1-4x) on top
.....(1-4x) with one from the bottom

...= stuck (i tried common factoring on top but still can't get it)

any help will be GREATLY appreciated (last question on assignmentand driving me crazy)

sorry bout the formating, can't seem to get it right (hence the periods)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
how'd you cancel out the (1-4x) from the top and bottom? (1-x)^4*-4 doesn't have (1-4x) as a common factor with the denominator. My personal suggestion (although lengthy to an extent) would be to expand all the numerator and see if it's divisible by 1-4x.

You can't cancel out the (1-4x) because it only appears on the left side of the numerator and not on the right. I don't see that much that's easily simplified (if you expanded the numerator so you could do the subtraction, it might simplify, but I doubt it).

Hrm I haven't really tried anything with it but see what happens when you factor out (1-x)^3 from the top from the left and right operands of the middle - sign.

Related to Calculus Problem with simplifying

1. What is the purpose of simplifying in calculus problems?

Simplifying in calculus is important because it helps to reduce complex expressions into simpler forms, making them easier to understand and work with. It also allows for easier manipulation and calculation of these expressions.

2. How do I know when to simplify in a calculus problem?

You should simplify in a calculus problem when there are terms that can be combined or cancelled out, or when the expression is too complex to work with. Additionally, simplification may be necessary to reach a final answer or to check your work.

3. Are there any rules or guidelines for simplifying in calculus?

Yes, there are several rules and guidelines for simplifying in calculus. Some of the most common include combining like terms, distributing and factoring, using the commutative and associative properties, and cancelling out common factors. It is important to also keep in mind any specific rules or properties that may apply to the specific type of calculus problem you are working on.

4. Is it possible to simplify too much in a calculus problem?

Yes, it is possible to simplify too much in a calculus problem. This can result in losing important information or making mistakes in the calculations. It is important to simplify only when necessary and to double check your work to ensure the final answer is correct.

5. How can I check if my simplification in a calculus problem is correct?

One way to check if your simplification in a calculus problem is correct is to plug the simplified expression back into the original problem and see if it still holds true. Another way is to use a graphing calculator to graph both the original and simplified expressions and see if they produce the same graph. Additionally, you can compare your answer to the answer key or ask a teacher or tutor for assistance.